1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Any Travelling Solo Tips/Stories?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by split41, Feb 20, 2013.

1. s land balla

s land balla Contributing Member

Why would you need dollars in Argentina? :confused:

2. lookabove

lookabove Contributing Member

I work Japan for 4 1/2 month over 12 year ago and my some co-workers would partake bath houses. The bath house which cost 30000 yen at time for non-Japanese prostitutes. The Japanese one would not take foreigners
    One thing to note they would guarantee that you get off twice.

3. Svpernaut

Svpernaut Contributing Member

Dollars spend everywhere.

4. s land balla

But why wouldn't you just use the local currency? Even if people agree to take your dollars, it's only because you are getting extremely ripped off on the conversion.

5. plcmts17

plcmts17 Member

Like I said, I learned the hard way that instead of getting the standard exchange rate at the time 4.5 pesos to the dollar, I could have exchanged my dollars for as high as 6 pesos to the dollar from the owner (an Argentinian woman who lived in New Orleans for several years and spoke fluent English) of the Hotel I was staying at in BA.
    So if and when you go to BA, take as many dollars as possible and ask around to see if you can get a higher exchange rate.

6. s land balla

That's why I never use currency exchanges...it's a business and they always rip you off. Your best bet is using your ATM card to withdraw foreign currency in whichever country you're in. It's the closest rate you'll get to the commercial (bank-to-bank) exchange rate.

7. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

Traveled solo in HK and Japan last year. HK, I'd suggest staying at a nicer place--there' more crap there (even in the 'medium' price range) than in most places I've been. Japan was the opposite...I stayed for super cheap and still got clean, safe places.

In Japan, I would recommend writing down train timetables before leaving your place each morning depending on where you plan on going. It's pretty tough to get around (the least English signage out of anywhere I've been), and most people (at least in my experience there) can't help you unless you speak Japanese.

8. s land balla

If you're on a tight budget in Japan, stay at a coffin hotel. :grin:

[​IMG]

9. split41

split41 Member

Damn, thanks for all the tips and help guys. Some of the stuff is really detailed and helpful. I'd rep you guys if I could, but I'm still a relative newbie with no rep power.

It's a bit daunting doing it solo, but I think it'll force me to meet new people moreso than I would if I travelled with friends, and that seems to be the consensus on how to beat the homesick/lonliness factor of solo travel.

The only real bummer is I'm probably going to miss a few rox games and after today's game I'm so damn pumped for the rest of our season!

Thanks again my CF brethren, I'm flying out tomorrow, but this thread has got some great advice and tips.

[​IMG]

10. SacTown

SacTown Member

So so true

11. split41

split41 Member

Hopefully, it'll be even easier with my accent. I'm going to try and sample all the local delicacies.

12. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

Hah good luck. One thing I haven't seen suggested if you are trying to not spend a ton of money, most hostels have a kitchen/refrigerator and if you can get a few things from a store you can make a few meals for your self instead of eating out all the time. And also you probably already know but most hostels also serve breakfast so that way your food budget doesn't kill you.

13. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Following up on this I recommend in places like Japan and China writing down in English or Japanese / Chinese characters some key places for cab drivers. One thing that can help is the hotel you are staying at take one of their business cards with you so you can show it to people who don't speak English.

Also it is very helpful to learn a couple of phrases (thank you, hello, good bye) in the local language. Even if you can't say it well most people will appreciate the effort you are making and will be more inclined to be friendly.

14. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

As far as the traveling alone part yes it will get lonely at times especially being on the road for so long but it does give you the chance to meet more and different type of people. Also you will likely meet great friends and thanks to social media people who you can be friends for more than just the trip.

Here is one travel story you might like. I was in Sri Lanka a few years ago and was there by myself. One night I was at a crowded beach bar wearing sneakers and some of the people there convinced me to take my shoes off. Well later in the night I find out my shoes have been stolen. I meet a girl who is half Dutch / half Surinamese who is working at an eco lodge there. She gives me a pair of flip flops and lets just say the rest of the story would not be helpful for the guys in the "No Fap" thread.

15. sinobball

sinobball Member

I'm intrigued about that. Is it a good idea for the traveler? What incentives do the hosts have for participating - just to meet foreign people?

16. Ubiquitin

Ubiquitin Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Travel with a reliable piece of luggage. Nothing worse than halfway through your trip and your bag rips on the side.

17. 111chase111

111chase111 Contributing Member

Honestly I don't know much about it except from hearing about it and the experience my friends had. And, yeah, it was just the experience of meeting new people. My guess is that if you are a reputable "host" it makes it easier to find people willing to host you somewhere else.