1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Any opinions on Jamal Magloire??

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Nellie, Jun 4, 2002.

Tags:
  1. Nellie

Nellie Member

I realy don't know that much about him but I hear he is a tough guy that can hold his own in the middle. The Mavericks need a guy like this and sitting from my armchair anyway, he seems to be in the Mavs price range. Any opinions on his play and how he would fit in with the Mavs?

2. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I remember talking with some Hornets fans about him and they apparently think he's a superstar. I think we were discussing a #15 and Kenny Thomas for Magloire trade and they said the Rockets would have to do something to sweeten the deal. Personally, I think Thomas alone is better than Magloire, which may be homerism, but isn't as homerist as thinking Magloire was worth more than KT and the #15.

As for the Mavs and their need for some more interior presence, I think Magloire is probably a half-measure. I think they need to find a really legit presence, not a platoon of guys who can throw 6 fouls apiece at Shaq. Magloire would be nothing more than a platoon-man.

3. Nellie

Nellie Member

I didn't realize his trade value was that high. Well, that is probably a deal the Mavs can't do then. Maybe they can sign Dale Davis for a year or two with the exception. I know Dale has expressed interest in wanting to play in Big D.

4. crossover

crossover Contributing Member

this is one of those guys that was top on my list before yao ming came into the picture to replace cato. he hustles, and showed improvement every dozen games and has seemed to make an ethic of it.

5. CriscoKidd

CriscoKidd Member

Magloire is a good, solid center right now who may blossom into something special.

Having said that, it would be hard to get him because Charlotte would probably want more than he's worth.

It would be easier to work out a deal to get Elden than to get Magloire, imo.

6. TexasG

TexasG Member

As far as value goes, Magloire may have just a little more value than Kenny Thomas simply because he plays center. As far as talent, I would say their about the same. Both are hard working overachievers.

Personally I would like to have Magloire on the Mavs. He may cost too much though. There have been rumors (check ESPN Insider for clarification) that the Mavs are about to trade for Zo. If the Mavs can pick up Zo, I would also like them to make a move for Elden Campbell. Those two in addition to Najera, Abdul-Wahad, and Griffen would make the Mavs a much better rebounding, and defensive team. None of these guys could still body up Shaq but they could at least hang with the Duncan's of the world.

7. Nellie

Nellie Member

I have read this and I have to say A) I seriously doubt it will happen and B) I am against this deal whole-heartedly. To give up LaFrentz, NVE, Bradley, and a first-rounder to get Zo is not worth the health risk he has become. You never know what is going to happen with the kidney problems he now has. The price is too high to take that chance. Plus I am not sure how Zo would fin into our system. He is more of a half-court type of guy than he is a run-the-floor type of guy.

8. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Note I said Hornet fans. I hope that Hornets management has a more realistic appraisal of Magloire's value.

9. TexasG

TexasG Member

If the rumors of Baron Davis being on the block are true then anything is possible.

10. TexasG

TexasG Member

At first I thought the same thing. Then I looked at the deal a little closer. The trade as I have heard it has Nick, Finley, and Bradley being traded for Zo. Miami would have to throw someone else in to make the salaries work but Zo's contract is HUGE next season. I want to say it's somewhere in the area of 20+ million. His cap hit is larger than Finley's next year.

When I broke the deal down for myself this is the conclusion I came up with. Since Zo only has 1 year left on his contract, and since we would be trading Fin, Nick, and Bradley's contracts ... a HUGE hole would open up in our cap in '03. If Zo does work out them we can resign him. If not then we let him walk and make a run at Duncan. Now I know that getting Duncan is very unlikely but the free agent crop in '03 looks very very good. That extra money can be spent on getting players like J.O'Neal, Kidd, or even McDyess.

Then there's the Finley factor. It's seems like most of the Finley trade scenarios have been shot down because no one wants to trade Fin to a bad organization. I have a feeling that Riely would have the same effect on Finley that he's had on Zo. Finley fit's Riley's mold to a T.

I personally wouldn't mind seeing Zo in Dallas.

11. Nellie

Nellie Member

I had not heard the Finley version of this which makes me dislike it even more. I will admit that I am the acting president of the Finley fan club but on top of that, I think it is dangerous to trade the soul of the team. I am gathering that you are a Mavs fan so I will assume you have seen plenty of Mavs ball in which Finley was the soul of the team. Whenever Finley gets one of those nasty tohmahawks thrown down in traffic, the team responds. I fear trading that away. Also, it would depend on who Miami threw in extra. If you are talking Eddie Jones, a relative clone of Fin, it might be an easier pill to swallow.

12. TexasG

TexasG Member

Yea, I've been a Mavs fan since they drafted Jim Jackson.

Trading Fin would be a hard pill to swallow. That's kind of why I'm on the fence with this potential trade. On one hand Fin has meant and still means so much to the Mavs. Not just because he can score but for all the intangibles. I still get goose bumps everytime I think back to the Wolves series. He was more aggressive in that series than he has ever been. I also think about what Nellie went through when he was with GoldenState. He said as early as last year that if he ever had the chance to redo anything he would not have traded Mitch Richmond and break up Run TMC. He's in a very similar situation now.

13. Nellie

Nellie Member

Undercover Mavs fan. That is pretty smart to do around here because you might actualy get to talk some basketball. Most people here just want to talk trash with me all day.

14. TexasG

TexasG Member

Yea, I've run across a few trash talkers myself. There are some good posters here but there are easily just as many bad posters. If I want to talk Mavs I usually go to a couple other sites. There are a few other Mavs fans here too though.

15. Nellie

Nellie Member

Where do you frequent? Mavtalk? DB.com?

16. TexasG

TexasG Member

DB.com is a good site. I usually just go there for the articles though.

Lone Mavs Fan Homepage is a good site. There's also quite a few Mavs fans at Fanhome.com too (this is where I spend most of my time talking Mavs). Insidehoops.com isn't bad either however it's a younger crowd there and it can get kind of immature at times.