1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Any Lawyers or Frequent Contract Readers in the House?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by JayZ750, Apr 1, 2015.

Tags:
  1. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Random question for you. How do you best go about referencing other sections when reading contracts/legal forms?

Hard to explain... but I read a lot of contracts, and even when I am just reading a second or third version of a red-line, I am constantly having to either Ctrl+F in the digital copy to look up a relevant section, or defined term... or in a printed copy, keep my thumb in one section while I flip back to find what the defined term means, or to locate the section that is being referenced to remember what it is talking about.

So my question is, is there a more efficient way to do this that isn't so cumbersome? For the more complex references (say to another very long section), I can find myself flipping back and forth multiple times just to be sure I get the jist of it?

THANKS!

2. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

One thing I've done is to just copy and paste all the related provisions that I am working on at the time onto the same Word file.

3. Pipe

Pipe Contributing Member

No great answer. If I am reading a hard copy (and I still find my reading comprehension is better with hard copy, particularly for complex contracts) I will print out two copies (or at least the definitions section if there is one or cut and paste the key definitions into a Word doc like CH suggests) and if I am reading a digital copy I have two screens so I put a version up on each screen.

4. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

Exactly what I do.

If a contract is more than about 7 pages, I absolutely print out 2 copies and make handwritten notes on the document for myself.

5. LCAhmed

LCAhmed Contributing Member

Paging glynch

6. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

^ Thanks for the responses.

Yeah, I've found myself doing the two screen thing - I already have two screens, but honestly I never got in the habit of actually using the laptop screen to be more productive... it's just "there"... but have had to start with this.

On printouts I've tried to do the printout PLUS the screen, but am not always with the computer.

Sounds like no other obvious solution. Thanks!

7. davo

davo Contributing Member

For longer documents, I will do my edits and comments on a screen, and use a hard copy as well for easier access to references.

Another thing I like to do (or have my lawyers do!) is wherever a number of clauses are listed (like exceptions), I put the subject of the referred clause in square brackets immediately after, and then leave them in place until the final version. i.e.

...subject to clause 1.1 [wilfull misconduct....] the following shall apply....

8. bejezuz

bejezuz Contributing Member

I do a lot of appellate work, and everything is electronic now (the record, legal research, even filing of the briefs). I use the Snap function in Windows to keep two windows side by side. In Word, I will use View>New Window to keep two copies of the same document open.

9. studogg

studogg Contributing Member

an abstract. this is the easiest way to keep relevant info at hand.