1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Any chance that Houston could get an NHL Team

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by ROCKETS1972, Oct 29, 2003.

1. ROCKETS1972

ROCKETS1972 Member

I would like to see us aqire an NHL team my question is has anybody heard any thing in the news about that posibility
    I live in Albuquerque so some times i don't get all the local news

2. IROC it

IROC it Contributing Member

Why?:rolleyes: (not aimed at you, but this is the attitude of most Houstonians IMHO)

We've had some low enough attendance to the champion Aeros teams...

I think we're just too far south for many to support it... and the NHL notices these things that happen in smaller leagues. Low attendance is why the then champion Aeros left before.

(btw- I live Dallas, and their is not much support so far for the STARS, a former NHL champ. Texas just ain't much on hockey IMO. total attendance won't support it in Houston.)

Plus, I've heard that the NHL may be struggling to exist in it's already recently expansion markets, much less as a league period.

I don't see it happening.:(

3. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

I think we have a better chance at pro soccer.

4. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

You haven't been in Dallas long then. The fans up there get very much into it as the season goes on and especially during the playoffs.

5. A-Train

A-Train Contributing Member

Personally, I think the NFL would fail miserably in Houston. Houstonians won't even watch an NBA team that's been here for over 30 years

6. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Irrelevant until the NHL gets its collective bargaining house in order. Who would gamble on a franchise now?

7. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

I think the Texans are doing Okay for now.

8. A-Train

A-Train Contributing Member

oops! Did I type "NFL"?? Well, the F and H keys ARE only separated by the G. :D

9. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

1. again...if it can work in places like dallas, tampa, miami, san jose, and phoenix, there's no reason to believe it can't work in houston.

2. looking to aeros' attendance as a guide for nhl success is a non-starter...it's two entirely different crowds. the nhl is a big time corporate game, dependent on the suites crowds. the aeros are a low-cost alternative to other pro sports in town. huge distinction.

3. attendance is overrated as a factor for financial success of sports franchises.

10. mrpaige

mrpaige Contributing Member

Well, the sell-out streak did end this season. I don't know how they get by playing to only 99.3% capacity at the AAC. :)

Granted, they don't get the coverage that the Cowboys and Mavs do this time of year (recently, that is. The Mavs couldn't get coverage to save their lives a few years ago), but they do have a large fanbase.