1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Another theater shooting..

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by davidio840, Jul 23, 2015.

1. val_modus

val_modus Member

Speaks volumes about our mentality when these aren't even a big deal anymore in the news... Oh how times have changed, well done NRA!

2. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I think this latest incident is suicide by cop.

3. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

I hate going to theaters as it is, never mind the new risks. I never understood why Hollywood didn't skip the middleman and just release to home viewers. Especially with the home theater experience as advanced as it is. Makes no sense to me why studios wouldn't create there own "netflix" and release all of their movies via cloud to subscribers. Or at the very least partner with an existing cloud provider like Netflix or Amazon who already have the infrastructure.

I would pay probably $20-30/movie if I could watch first release at home. That's double/triple what a movie ticket costs. I know there are risks but as a consumer that's what I want. I would actually watch way more many movies than I do now.

4. Mr. Brightside

Mr. Brightside Contributing Member

The movie studios would lose out, because you can invite 6 of your buddies to watch the same film at your house. The comparable price should be closer to 60-80 USD for a showing of a new release (similar to the way PPV boxing matches are priced).

5. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

No they wouldn't. I hate watching movies with anybody outside my SO. It's one of the main reasons I don't go to the theaters. Also, I skip many movies because I don't want to drop $50-$100 bucks in a theater full of assholes with dirty floors and seats. So they don't even get a dime from me on many many of their movies.

I imagine many folks are just like me. It's a win-win, I watch more of their movies from the luxury of my home theater. Instead of skipping them all together and waiting for $5.99 streaming/rental or Netflix release.

6. Mr. Brightside

I'm like you in that I don't actually like going to the dirty and loud theatres. Only reason I go is my gf enjoys watching films on the big screen. Since I don't even care to watch a movie when it premiers I actually prefer just to wait around for a few weeks until someone pirates it on the internet.

7. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

This situation though didn't actually end up being a shooting, except for the suspect, as he didn't have a real gun and no one died.

Also before we start calling for massive changes in how theaters are run and movies released let's consider that compared to how many showings of movies there are movie theater shootings are still rare events. That doesn't mean we shouldn't do anything about it but given that mass shootings happen at many other places I think we should be looking at instead into how mentally ill people are getting guns.

8. Scarface281

Scarface281 Contributing Member

They can do that, but then concession prices would go up even more to cover the costs. Probably ticket prices too. It is happening too many times though.

9. Scarface281

Scarface281 Contributing Member

You just walk into the door at many arenas around the US. No metal detectors or wands. And if they do have wands, they often just wave you in.

10. mr. 13 in 33

mr. 13 in 33 Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Movie theaters mull metal detectors, additional security measures after recent violence <a href="http://t.co/DhPrqVhayV">http://t.co/DhPrqVhayV</a> <a href="http://t.co/e7SgX1qC3C">pic.twitter.com/e7SgX1qC3C</a></p>&mdash; NBC Nightly News (@NBCNightlyNews) <a href="https://twitter.com/NBCNightlyNews/status/629393439562399745">August 6, 2015</a></blockquote> <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

11. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

Yeah. Chooses a sparsely attended screening, uses non lethal weapons, has a fake bomb, fires at a cop with a pellet gun. Sounds like he wasn't really on a murderous rampage and rather just wanted to capitalize on the fear of theatre shootings to create a reason for the cops to kill him.

1 person likes this.
  12. Mr. Brightside

Movie security guard: "Is that a Snickers bar in your pocket or are you just really excited to see the new Mission Impossible movie?"

13. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

12hrs x $20 = $240 per day.

They can probably cover the cost of that guard by increasing prices by less than 50 cents. If studios help with half, then less than a quarter for each.

14. Sajan

Sajan Member

leave it to the crazy people to ruin freedom for everyone. now i am going to have to have TSA like security to watch a movie.

15. Major

Major Member

What exactly will this accomplish? People pick movie theaters because they are easy. If they aren't easy, they'll just pick something else - a restaurant, a mall, whatever else. It doesn't address the problem; it just changes the venue and costs everyone a bunch of money.

16. Torn n Frayed

Torn n Frayed Member

Anyone think of all the exits at the movies? It would be super easy to sneak in some kind of weapon...

17. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

I already mentioned they'll probably just switch to a different place...but that doesn't mean you just keep letting it happen. Same thing with terrorism. Just because you destroy one organization and another forms, do you stop trying to fight it?

And I also addressed the cost. It's a small price to pay for the theaters and movie studios.