1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Another theater shooting..

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by davidio840, Jul 23, 2015.

1. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

Why can't theatres afford more security? There's no reason why they shouldn't have searches at entry by now. Even just the idea of being met at the door by security, would go a long way.

2. Yonkers

Yonkers Contributing Member

You paying for it? Most people say they want something but rarely put their money behind those convictions.
    I want human rights and good working conditions... but oh, I need a cheap iPhone.

3. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

Considering the amount of money being made in the film industry, I find it hard to believe that the theaters and Hollywood can't cover the cost of extra security. They don't need a swat team on-site, just an armed guard at the door, doing light searches, would make a big difference.

It seems like a pretty obvious thing for them to do, before this happens in a big way again. Either pay for that extra man or two now, or lose millions, when a large number of people start staying home out of fear.

4. Yonkers

Yonkers Contributing Member

Because they're a single entity who can singularly dictate how that works? The theaters and studios are totally separate. They don't even make money off of the same things. Theaters barely make any off the movie tickets themselves. It's the popcorn and drinks, etc.

Fact is, until it hits their bottom line they won't do it. And if the public clamors enough that they have to, it will get passed on regardless.

5. davidio840

davidio840 Contributing Member

Let's say they add an extra nickel to every popcorn sold. I'd bet that would cover a security guard or 3 for the theaters. Especially the large ones. I'd guess the smaller rural ones wouldn't be able afford it though.

6. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Do you think searches were really allay fears, or is it just going to make people think more about the possibility of getting shot at the movies and make them fear more?

I'm all for better security, but sending customers through metal detectors or conducting pat-downs would seriously hurt the desirability of their product. While movie theaters are already facing an existential threat from on-demand video, I doubt they want to do anything that hurts the 'movie experience.' They can put an armed presence in each showing. They can have better security around the fire exits. Probably not anything more intrusive than that.

7. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

Instead of trying to find reasons why to justify increase in prices, why dont they offer 20% off to call conceal carry customers? Its a win-win situation.

8. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

Moar guns is always the solution.

9. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

I know they're separate...that doesn't meant they don't profit from the same driving force: movies....people don't go to theaters because it's great popcorn. That's reason enough for them to work together to solve this problem.

10. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

I think people would gladly open up their bags, if it means not getting shot dead that night. If we were talking about theaters trying to squash people bringing in food, recording devices, or even drugs, then I can see people trying to fight it....but not in this case. I also really think the key is "light" searches...nothing too intrusive. Asking people to quickly open up bags and coats, mostly. I think these shooters know it's easy access, so any resistance is going to keep them away. Unfortunately, they'll likely just target malls, next.

#70 RV6, Aug 5, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 5, 2015
  11. Mr. Brightside

Mr. Brightside Contributing Member

We need TSA style security checks at the movie theatres to prevent tragedies like this happening again. A fast track lane can be created for frequent movie goers, but they would have to pay extra and go through a thorough background check to make sure they aren't psychotic.

12. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

or better guns. I mean that just brings you back to the quality vs quantity debate. As one of friends used to say, they can't all be beauty queens.

13. Obito

Obito Contributing Member

They should hire security and arm them with bamboo sticks.

Problem solved.

14. VanityHalfBlack

Oh boy not looking good for the south lately. But hey,at least we're not Florida,haha haha!!!

15. J.R.

J.R. Member

http://abc13.com/904882/

16. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Nothing like being an innocent person in the middle of a shoot out in a dark theater.

17. MystikArkitect

We need to all carry hatchets.

18. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

There is some truth to the "the best defense is a good offense". See Golden State Warriors.

19. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Hasn't affected attendance at sporting events at all.

20. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

The Warriors defense is based off their flexibility to guard multiply positions with switching coverages not their offense.