1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Another Lottery Pick?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by aelliott, Jun 21, 2002.

1. aelliott

aelliott Contributing Member

Sorry, if this has already been posted.

From Friday's ESPN Insider:

<i>
    And then there's Houston, which brought in Maryland forward Chris Wilcox for a private workout Thursday. With Yao Mong all but wrapped up, why would Wilcox bother? There are rumblings that Houston may be trying to get another lottery pick.
    </i>

I can't imaging what we could offer for another lottery pick.

Here's another blurb from the same article:

<i>We go back and forth about whether Odom is really available. There's obviously a lot of interest and the Clippers have been flooded with calls. The question is, are they listening? Several GM's have told Insider in the last few days that they are. They won't give him away, but the fact that they are considering an Eric Snow-for-Odom deal tells you that his value has really dropped.
    </i>

Snow for Odom? Huh?

2. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Could "another lottery pick" mean moving down and getting a 2nd one in the process? Clippers? I mean if it's true that Eric Snow can get you Odom, that #1 pick has to account for *something*. Namely Jay Williams if it goes to the Clips... is there anything stopping the Rockets from doing the much-talked-about trade involving #8, #12, + whatever for Odom + whatever?

As for me, I really don't care... what will happen will happen and I'm not sweating it. We'll all know in about 5 days...

3. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

Given the near-certainty with which everyone has, up until this morning, reported the Yao Ming deal, I have to believe the Rockets were talking about moving a player and their #15 for a higher pick. It only takes a few spots to get into the lotto a second time. We'll see.

4. DCkid

DCkid Contributing Member

Well, the Wizards seem awfully interested in Dan Dickau. They brought him in for a second workout. I'm sure they realize they could get him at 15 and add a little something else in the process. Of course the 11th would not be high enough for Wilcox.

I went to the Wizards-Rockets game in DC and Kenny killed!!! They could have some interest in him, seeing as how Popeye Jones was their starting power forward last season.

5. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Too early in the morning for me to be posting. I completely forgot about moving up from 15. Outside of KT, who are you going to trade to move up? And is it worth trading KT to move up a few notches if it's to #11 as DCKid suggests may happen?

BTW, 11th may not be high enough for Wilcox, but it may be high enough for Nachbar, Stoudemire, or *gulp* Tayshaun Prince (who should be around at 15 anyway).

#5 Dr of Dunk, Jun 21, 2002
    Last edited: Jun 21, 2002
  6. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

*BUMP*

http://www.clutchcity.net/news.cfm?NewsID=1024

So Clutch mentions Maybiner, too, will be here on Sunday, which is curious, as he is not worth the #1, but will be long gone by #15.

Personally, I'd love Maybiner on the team, if he has no big contract problems (i.e. if he can play for us next year). I think he's gonna be a low-post beast. Odom + Maybiner would be good, if Ming doesn't become a Rocket.

7. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

And just throwing this out...if the Rockets get Ming perhaps the center spot gets a bit crowded (Ming, Cato, Collier). Perhaps the Rockets could package "KT, #15 and Cato" to move up. While Cato does have a fat contract he is a "decent" center in the NBA and an asset some teams might want. Of course if we did that deal we would have to get a " Cato type contract" in return but the prize would be the higher draft pick. And if the Rockets were interested in players like Wilcox and Nene then Cato and KT would definitely be expendable.

Just a thought.

Chris

8. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

No way the Rockets trade Cato without getting another veteran center in return. They need Cato this season. Ming will likely get in foul trouble about every game, and they don't trust Collier to play a lion's share of the minutes. Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised to see Taylor get some minutes at center like he did in 2000-01. If he's bulked up, Griffin will likely catch a few minutes there, as well. Still, Cato is a true center; and the Rockets need to have him around when Ming fouls out.

9. bigboymumu

bigboymumu Member

I have a riddle:

Former Rocket that lives in Houston now a coach wants the number one pick next year.
    A number of articles state that Cleveland is looking to trade down without taking on additional salary.
    Nene and Nachbar both here on Sunday and Wilcox just left.
    Rockets executives cross all Ts and dot all Is.

No inside news. Just trying to put clues together!

10. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Well, this is my thought. If trading away Cato + #15 can yeild you either Nene/Wilcox/Stoudamire then perhaps it is worth it. Because you then slide Mo Taylor over to backup C. KT would still be needed (why we would not trade him) as he would play starting or backup PF along with Griffin. Collier would be kept on the roster probably on IR. And then of course you still have one of these players "Nene/Wilcox/Stoudamire" on the roster to fill in. That is my thinking. I understand that we need Cato to bang down low but do you still need him if you can get one of those stud low post players?? Personally, if we COULD swing that deal I would do it in a heartbeat. But chances are it couldn't happen.

I just wanted to throw out a scenario where KT would not be involved in a trade along with #15 because Doc Rocket said it was unlikely that KT would be traded. If that was the case then that ment he would be a valuable part of our rotation. And if THAT is the case then someone else has to be moved!

Chris

11. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Cleveland seems like a good trading parter. They are going nowhere and probably want to TANK for next season to try to get into the LeBron James sweapstakes.

if we could get the #6 pick then we could probably get Wilcox/Nene/Stoudamire.

Would Cleveland be interested in #15, #37, and KT? Heck, we could throw in Moochie (insurance for Andre Miller being traded) if we could get up to #6. Then we keep Tierre Brown as our backup PG.

Chris

12. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I think there's a long shot chance a guy like Hilario could slip to 15 if there is more to his contract issues than we know, but Wilcox is guaranteed to go top 10...I don't think anyone has been down on him, and he has a talent, size, and athleticism. Wilcox is EVERYTHING Layden dreamed of at #7-size, defense, athleticism, improving offense.

I should mention on Wilcox, they showed him giving an interview on Fox last night-he looked real loose, and shot a couple 15 footers in the clip pretty smoothly (he could've missed the previous 100, I dunno). They interviewed him, and he said something along the lines of "anything could happen".

Really, the only reason to work out Wilcox/Hilario is to get a feel for the depth of the class, barring a trade (up from #15, down from #1).

Bima-I agree, you have to have a solid backup for Ming-if you get one of these guys (Hilario/Wilcox), they could definitely be that, but they're in the same position as Ming, being foul prone rookies. You can always go to free agency-we can keep Willis, or pick up an Oakley, or Scot Williams, and Eddie and Mo can play spot minutes as well.

mumu-If we moved up to the Cavs pick, I'd bet Caron Butler would be option #1, and Wilcox/Hilario option #2. The Rockets have probably worked out, watched in a workout (Tsika), or will work out every top 15 pick candidate except Wagner and Williams.

13. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

From reading an interview Hilario did earlier, he stated that there would be no contract problems because there is none left with his team. Hopefully he knows what he's talking about... :)

14. GATER

GATER Contributing Member

Would Kevin Willis sign for the vet minimum? Or part of the MCE? He would make a great mentor for Ming even down to showing Yao how to get short arms to be chiseled.

15. D-Up

D-Up Member

I would rather have Nene Hilario than Cato anyday. And Hilario has not even played a second in the NBA yet.

But the word about him is that he is physical and goes all out. Their size and physical skills may be similar.

But their is a world of difference in their attitudes and competitive drive.

I would do that trade with Cleveland.

16. LongTimeFan

LongTimeFan Contributing Member

I doubt Kev wants to play here anymore, GATER. Watching him along along the sidelines this year he really didn't look happy at all. I don't know either way - but the Rockets shopping him to a playoff team almost sounds like a request he would make, as they said "it was a favor" to him. Kev is a professional, so I don't think he would go to the media with any demands.

17. Possum

Possum Member

If I remember rite, I heard Calvin Murphy say Willis wanted to return for another year. I think it was the last game of the year when he said it.

18. Relativist

Relativist Contributing Member

Possum,
    was it clear from Calvin's quote that Willis meant another year with us? Maybe he was talking about in the league, in general.
    Willis may be more disposed to staying with the Rockets since they're acquiring Yao. I hope so. If we can trade up to get Nene, I'd be fine packaging Cato.

19. Pat

Pat Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I have no idea where I got this, but I am of the impression that Willis was unhappy with the Rockets and looking to leave.

Lets face it, we screwed him the first time he was here, and burried him on the bench the second time. He may not call us names, but I don't see him doing us any favors either.

20. Possum

Possum Member

I'm pretty sure he said resign with the Rockets but don't hold me to that. I will look for the game tape tonight and see if I can find where Murph said that.