1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Anime watchers out there?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Marteen, May 6, 2011.

Tags:
  1. Dei

Dei Member

I've been following Persona 4: The Animation. Awesome. They nailed fleshing out the MC. I really like their brand of humor. It's witty without being deprecating.

I've also been following Gundam AGE. It's ****. It's like the opposite of Gundam X when it comes to action. So little happens each episode and they probably could have condensed it to 5 eps. I'm still doubting as to whether the re-rolling of another cast is as much story-telling as it is a gimmick.

2. AtheistPreacher

AtheistPreacher Contributing Member

I've had the Persona discussion elsewhere on this board, but to suffice it to say I preferred the third game over the fourth. That said, I'm still interested to see what they did with the Persona 4 anime. It's on my list.

As for Gundam... I've seen Gundam SEED and Gundam SEED Destiny. The former I liked -- even with all its flaws -- but I hated the latter, partly because it was a carbon copy of the first one, and partly because Shinn is just that annoying. In any case, I get the sense that if you've seen one Gundam you've seen them all. I'm in no rush to watch another one.

3. br0ken_shad0w

br0ken_shad0w Member

Gonna have a go with Baccano! since it's on Netflix and I'm quite interested in the story.

It was a lot more entertaining than AMC's The Walking Dead. I'll give it that.

4. RocketsRed14

RocketsRed14 Member

That's the word. Just skimming through this thread for some good recommendations,hopefully I find one I can really enjoy. (right now, I like the suggestion "5 centimeters per second")

5. RocketsRed14

RocketsRed14 Member

T
    The walking dead is entertaining in its own way. Still don't know why people dislike the shoe. I for one think it's great! I guess it's just because I enjoy alot of zombie based movies/shows.

6. AtheistPreacher

That's a good one. Gorgeous animation. Loved the first story, especially.

7. AtheistPreacher

I'm not a huge zombie fan in general... but I recently watched the first season of The Walking Dead and enjoyed it. To each his own.

8. eveluvsrox

eveluvsrox Contributing Member

I'm halfway through Canaan and Hell girl right now. Started Ghost in a Shell, Mushi-shi, Ga-Rei: Zero and Death Note, but still havent finished it. I will when I finish the two I'm into now.

SInce my lasy post ive Watched
    High school of the dead
    Elfen Lied
    Corpse Princess
    Black Butler
    XXXHolic
    Clannad
    Witch Blade

9. br0ken_shad0w

br0ken_shad0w Member

I liked the first season as well. It's the second season where most of the problems were at.

10. AtheistPreacher

Hmm... fair enough. I've only watched the first season because that's all they have on Netflix... they're usually a season behind on things.

11. kidcave9

kidcave9 Contributing Member

Hey athiest preacher could you recommend me an anime to watch?

- I like thrillers like deathnote and code geass
    - love one piece and Gintama
    -hate Mecha and naruto
    -something with awesome fight sequences would be cool,but prefer clever/ witty dialogue..

Also nice opening music I really liked the eureka 7 opening

Thanks

12. br0ken_shad0w

br0ken_shad0w Member

If you do plan on watching it, just remember the budget got cut and the story slows to a standstill. And Frank Daranbont got fired. ****ing AMC :mad:

13. AtheistPreacher

No problem, I'm always more than happy to make recommendations. And you've drawn me a fairly clear picture of what you're looking for.

First, when you say "awesome fight sequences," a few shows immediately come to mind: Elfen Lied, Claymore, Black Lagoon, and the Hellsing Ultimate OVAs (rather than the original 13-episode Hellsing show). These are all in the ultra-violent category. Great action scenes in all... IMO Elfen Lied has the best story to back up the action. Trouble is, none of these are really the "clever banter" type (well, Black Lagoon somewhat, I suppose). They're more in the pure action mold. In any case, something to think about. Links are to trailers/AMVs to give you a sense of them.

But there are a lot of other good options, here.

Both seasons of Ghost in the Shell are fantastic. I have yet to meet anyone who has disliked them. They definitely qualify as "thrillers," and are extremely smart and well-made in every way. Both seasons contain a single over-arching plot, interspersed with individual stories. So some episodes are self-contained, but others (especially toward the end), concern taking down the season's main villain.

Baccano! and Durarara!! are both really good... but there are some people who get turned off by their sheer weirdness. Both shows don't tell their stories chronologically, but instead go back and forth through time and are constantly switching viewpoints to one or another of their large cast of characters. One episode might follow a particular series of events, while the next goes over the same events from the viewpoint of a different character. They're extremely well-crafted, and it's fun to try to wrap your brain around them, but you have to be willing to pay attention. Plenty of humor here too, by the way.

Eden of the East is a fantastic conspiracy theory show. It's from Production IG, who did Ghost in the Shell and Moribito, so you know it's going to be good.

Most of what I've mentioned so far doesn't have much of the comedy element. Here's some shows that have that as a prominent feature:

Samurai Champloo, Cowboy Bebop, and Great Teacher Onizuka all feature the peerless Steven Blum as the lead voice, and all have great comedy elements. The former two try to balance dramatic and comedy elements, while the latter is basically a pure comedy about a horny ex-biker gang 22-year-old grade school teacher.

Lastly, and again in the pure comedy realm, Ouran High School Host Club is just hilarious. The end. Wittiness and cleverness to spare here.

In any case, that's obviously a ton of recommendations from different angles of what you were looking for. Just check out the videos and pick one or two that look interesting. Hopefully I've been helpful and haven't buried you in too much quantity.

#113 AtheistPreacher, Jan 18, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 18, 2012
    1 person likes this.
  14. AtheistPreacher

Argh. That's frustrating. Actually, I was just think of an anime called Kare Kano ("His and Her Circumstances") that was really awesome right up until their budget got cut around halfway through. Suddenly there were a lot of still-frame pans, voiceovers, and ridiculously long recaps. Really a pity, since the first episode of it might be one of the best opening episodes of a comedy anime I've seen.

At least AMC still has Breaking Bad, possibly the best show I've ever seen. I'm a little worried that 16 episodes for the final season will be dragging it on too long and will ruin it somehow. But I have faith in their writers.

15. kidcave9

kidcave9 Contributing Member

Thanks

I barely started watching anime again (noob)and its a drag to have to watch an arc or two for every anime just to decide whether its worth continuing watching. All of these look promising, ive heard good things about Samurai champloo ,elfen, and ouran. I think I'm going to start with Eden of the east, the trailer was really captivating, it looked like a movie. Im going to save your post and check all of em . Before, I just googled "anime like________" and a lot of the times came up empty with shows that I would like.

Thanks again,

kc9

Ps. Have ya ever wanted to cry while watching an anime, sometimes its really hard to keep it together. When it comes to that, Im thinking I'm getting emo over a fictional show.LOL

16. AtheistPreacher

I almost cried when I watched Grave of the Fireflies. That's a very sad movie. Although I think even more than making me sad it just made me think: "Damn... that's f***** up."

BTW, no idea if you have Netflix or not, but they've got Eden of the East on instant streaming. Netflix actually has a pretty decent anime selection overall.

17. RC Cola

RC Cola Contributing Member

Agreed.

It started off a little 'meh' IMO, but the quality has picked up. I really loved the last 3-4 episodes or so (next one should be great too). I don't really watch a lot of anime (probably will need to review this thread), so can't really compare it to others out there. But I've really enjoyed it. Seems to do a great job of staying with the source material (which was great IMO), while also occasionally having fresh new content for those who played the game (but doing so without screwing things up).

18. Dei

Dei Member

P3 was much nearer to the first two games in the series. 3 is urban occult whereas 4 was the boonies. That said, I found P3 much watered down in comparison to P2. P2 was a mature epic and way, way darker. P3 had bits of that to make it familiar but was also trying to be a high school drama. P4 absolutely embraced being a high school drama and turned it into a strong coming of age story.

19. Hayden_SFC

Hayden_SFC Member

Usagi Drop

I thought it was touching and kinda sad.

20. Dei

Dei Member

Just finished Occult Academy. Most original show I've watched in a long, long time.