1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Amazon's HQ2

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by jev5555, Sep 8, 2017.

1. Brando2101

Brando2101 Contributing Member

Amazon is looking at multiple sites in every metro listed. It just so happens that the DC metro spans 3 different municipalities which is why they show up 3 times.

Austin needs corporate HQs of big companies. Dell is private but you could consider it Austin's only Fortune 500 company. These companies act as tentpoles to the local economy by providing a massive amount of jobs that aren't contingent on the city economy unlike most other businesses.

Corporate bases also are big investors in the city they occupy. A lot of Houston's museums, theaters etc. come from donations from big companies and the rich people that work at those companies. A lot of the rich people that live in Austin are retired or their main business interests are somewhere else.

In the spoiler tag is a screenshot of the top 10 employers in Austin. Our biggest employer is HEB and that's not corporate jobs. This should worry people because grocery stores are the next big target by online consumer shopping.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

#101 Brando2101, Jan 19, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 19, 2018
  2. DCkid

DCkid Contributing Member

But the site options are only part of each proposal. There's also "the deal" (subsidies, tax breaks, perks, etc.), which is probably singular for each proposal. DC area has three different overall deals to offer, which is different from one city offering one deal with a few site options.

da_juice likes this.
  3. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

My money's on Atlanta.

4. DCkid

DCkid Contributing Member

I thought Denver was the front runner according to a lot of people a few months ago...now it seems like a dark horse. What changed?

5. geeimsobored

geeimsobored Contributing Member

Austin's transportation infrastructure is in dire straights. To me that's what is holding them back. Terrible mass transit and a road network that hasn't adjusted to its growth. Add in a company like Amazon and the whole transportation system will melt down.

I honestly think Microsoft got it right with their Fargo campus. Instead of recreating the size of Redmond, they have a much smaller (but still reasonably large) campus in Fargo, North Dakota that has plenty of room to grow and scale with little to no transportation problems, and a low cost of living that helps Microsoft lower their own cost of operations. And it's almost impossible to have a housing crisis as land is almost unlimited. As a bonus, the cold weather dramatically lowers their server cooling costs in the winter. Recruiting can be hard so it does ultimately limit how large the workforce can become but to me that's a smarter play than trying to recreate the Amazon Seattle campus.

It still baffles me that American corporations have become infatuated with relocating to cities when for the longest time they did the opposite. It has always been cheaper to operate in smaller towns. I realize all of the insane tax benefits being offered to Amazon offset all of this but I hope companies start to look at smaller towns and cities again.

Uprising and arkoe like this.
  6. Buck Turgidson

I guess it just depends on what kind of Austin you want:

Austin where people can live, and work and...as it was... or

New Austin where nobody can afford to live within 20 miles of downtown.

Everybody wants the "greatest music city in the world!!!" or whatever, but none of those musicians can afford to live in Austin anymore.

Uprising and Deckard like this.
  7. TreeRollins

TreeRollins Contributing Member

The governor said they weren’t going to offer massive incentives

8. jbasket

jbasket Member

My money's on Austin, but I have no bias of course.

#108 jbasket, Jan 21, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 29, 2018
  9. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

IMO, Bezos is looking any excuse to choose the D.C. metro area. Hence, three finalists.

10. rhino17

rhino17 Member

I think most people here in Denver also don't want it. The city is already growing too quickly to keep up with everything, we need a massive infrastructure investment as it is. This city isn't built for the amount of people we already have.

11. DarkHorse

DarkHorse Contributing Member

As a senior software guy in Austin, I'm really hoping Amazon comes in and helps drive up the cost of senior software guys. :)

12. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

Are big companies going to become like sports teams just looking for the biggest handouts.

13. geeimsobored

geeimsobored Contributing Member

I hope you already own a house because if Amazon comes, Austin's already ridiculous housing market will turn into the Bay Area's.

14. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

How fast will this happen? Lol. I already own close enough to downtown. Happy to get massive appreciation, sell and move somewhere else smaller.

15. PhiSlammaJamma

With all the drone tech in Syracuse, surprised they didn’t at least make the cut.

16. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Amen. A lot has been written locally about the hard time musicians are having finding affordable housing, and I believe it. Our house has gone up in value a hell of a lot the last few years. While the place is paid for, our property taxes keep going up. Not much due to my advanced age (ha ha! at least there's some advantage to it), but I can easily imagine the problems others are having with them. And East Austin? Prices are skyrocketing. A good place to invest in property 5 years ago. Probably still a good area, but only relative to the parts of Austin that have been booming for years.

I can certainly see the advantages a huge plum like Amazon could give the local and regional economies, but does Austin really need it? I don't think so, not in my opinion. We can't manage the growth we have now.

#116 Deckard, Jan 21, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 21, 2018
  17. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Weather is an important factor.
    The south

18. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

and d.c. area is the kind of place that would give welfare to the richest man in the world

19. krnxsnoopy

krnxsnoopy Contributing Member

That makes him smart!

Trump filing bankruptcy multiple times. That makes him smart!

peleincubus likes this.
  20. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

A few pages of insightful comments about the city I live in. Then right at the end a D&D type post of a dig on a social and welfare issue. Great job