1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Can Embiid and the Sixers hold off elimination in Game 5? Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Alton Ford

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by The Cat, May 6, 2000.

1. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

Does anyone know a lot about this guy's game? I know he committed to Houston for college, but I've been reading a lot of places that for academic reasons he may go pro. At nbatalk.com, he's listed at 6'9 at 260 pounds. They also said he could shoot 3's, and compared him physically to Karl Malone. If he were to go pro, would he be a lottery pick, or a late first round? The reason I'm asking is that I've seen him ranked right up there with Miles in terms of high schoolers, and we could use a good big man more than a small forward. If you know about him, what is his game like and also what is his potential? (is it as great as Miles') Also, where do you think he'd get drafted if he declared? Thanks.

Also, I thought I'd pass on something I read on Kenyon Martin from a few message boards. I can't confirm it from anywhere, but people are saying in a recent TV interview Kenyon said he refused to play for the Bulls because of Brand. Not that a lot of people thought he would be a Bull anyway, but there had been some speculation that if Chicago got the top pick they would try him being an undersized center for a year- simply because he is by far the top player. (assuming Swift doesn't come out) I know Chicago's top player on their list other than Kenyon is Miles. He wouldn't be there at pick 9, BUT, if we could trade up with Vancouver to the 4 pick, he probably would be. So, popeye, or anyone else, have you heard of the Bulls looking to trade down? It would seem to make sense, and if they could get the top pick, maybe just maybe we could get Kenyon.

------------------

2. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I think Alton Ford is a late first rounder, and likely a 2nd rounder...just my opinion of him. I'd hope the Bulls would trade....but, come to think of it, we wouldn't be able to trade for any of their players cause they're all garbage. We could however give them the PG they desire (Bryce) and complete their duo of unwanted, slow Rockets PGs, with Maloney. Bryce and the #9 for the #1?

------------------
    Rockets fans wanted at hoopsboards.com

Draft Chat, NBA Chat, Team Chat, and more!

3. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

I doubt we could pull off your deal, because the Bulls want Miles, and he won't be there at pick 9. However, if they got the top pick, they know they could get him much lower. Maybe if we could get Vancouver's pick, we could turn around and send it+ Drew or Cato to the Bulls and land Martin.

Also, if Ford is a 2nd round pick, do you think he is a chance worth taking? Let's just say at the 38th pick Ford is there, and so is a guy like Chris Porter. Which one do you think we'd be better off with?

------------------

4. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

It may take Drew and Cato just to GET the #4 pick. Drew + Cato + #9 may still not be enough to get #4. Dunno.

------------------
    ?

5. gr8-1

gr8-1 Contributing Member

Cat, i would take porter, he is much more athletic. ford played lacksadaisical at mcdonald's, of course that was an exhibition.
    the guy who looks better then ford is another 6'9" Pf, zac randolph.

------------------
    "Don't they get cable in Canada ?" Keith olbermann, after watching hakeem block terry catledge's shot 5 times.

6. NIKEstrad

Supporting Member

I think it'd depend on how the rest of our draft went. If we drafted Miller or Miles or DeShawn Stevenson, I'd pick Ford. If we got Stromile, Kenyon, or Jerome (Moiso), I'd pick Porter.

------------------

7. R0ckets03

R0ckets03 Contributing Member

Lets pick Ford this time please. No more Rashard nightmares. Damn that Mirsad Turkhan

------------------
    Now introducing the starting lineup for your Houston Rockets: Starting at Center, from Wake Forets TIM DUNCAN...

8. Achebe

Achebe Contributing Member

was Ford the kid that thesportingnews labeled 'the next Shaq'?

------------------

9. aelliott

aelliott Contributing Member

I've seen Ford play several times over the last couple of years. He's is a legit 6'9" 260" and he has all the tools, but he's not ready for the NBA yet. In HS he was always so much bigger and stronger than anybody that he went up against. He'll need some time to learn to play against guys his size. He's got tremendous footwork,shoots the ball pretty well (although I don't like to see him stepping out for 3 pointers) and he knows how to use his strength to create space to get his shot off. Hopefully he'll be at UH for the next couple of years.

------------------

10. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

I watched Alton play in one or 2 high school all-star games. If he's the next Karl Malone, he hid it really well in those games. I know it's just an all-star game, and you really can't judge that much from those type of games, but still. If you want a high school big man that can play, the one that was kicking tail and banging with Olumide OboyIcan'tspellhisname, it's a kid name Zach Randolph.

------------------
    ?

11. NIKEstrad

Supporting Member

from what I've heard, Ford also has a decent jump shot. He's got a pretty good NBA PF body as it is right now....

------------------

12. aelliott

The problem with all-star games is that nobody's going to throw it into the post. Ford's game is to get position in deep and call for the ball. In those games, he can't do that because nobody is going to pass the ball to him. Randolph got most of his points off of rebounds and putbacks, not from posting up.

------------------

13. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Aelliott,

That's exactly what made me notice Randolph. In the time he was in, he just seemed more active. While Miles and others were doing their high wire acts, Randolph was banging with Olumide Ohwhatshisname. But you're correct about it being a poor platform to judge talent.

------------------
    ?

14. MManal

MManal Member

Achebe, thats a center who is a junior in HS right now, Eddy Curry. There are also two other stud junior prospects in Tyson Chandler(another center) and a combo guard DeJuan Wagner. This is part of the reason people are so excited about next yr's draft. The college crop is already good, plus three stud HS players could add their name to the list. This is also the reason why I think Chris Mihm would be foolish not to go pro this yr but thats another topic of discussion.

In any case, Alton Ford has been labelled "the next Karl Malone". That is very premature ofcourse, but he does have nice talent as aelliott pointed out. He looks physically imposing and strong at 6-9 260, and complements that size with very good agility and speed on the court. He has solid post moves and has excellent hands. He would be an ideal player to pick up late first round or early second round and stash on the bench for a while. Then as he begins adjusting to the NBA game, give him more and more PT.

------------------
    Check out the Best Source for Draft Info

Draftsource.net

15. aelliott

It also didn't help that Ford got called for 4 offensive fouls and a fifth foul trying to draw a charge at the McDonald's game. He only played 15 minutes and he still got 10 boards.

------------------

16. oakdogg

oakdogg Contributing Member

Who's this Zac Radolph guy? Is he coming out? Any chance of the Rox picking him?

------------------

17. aelliott

Randolph isn't coming out, he's going to Michingan St.

------------------