1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Alternative Certification Program for Teaching?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Joshfast, Jul 9, 2007.

1. Joshfast

Joshfast "We're all gonna die" - Billy Sole
    Supporting Member

Just wondering if anybody has any experience in an Alternative Certification Program for teaching in Texas. I'm really interested in teaching elementary in Austin, Houston or San Antonio. Has anybody been through any of these programs or have any tips or pointers?

2. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Check with the local Education Service Center on what programs they offer or suggest. My wife was looking into it a couple of years ago. The issue is with what you want to teach. Some districts will only hire if you got your certificate in ESL, Science, or Math.

3. macalu

macalu Contributing Member

i know someone who's gone through it and i know they'd have no problem discussing it with you. shoot me an email through the board and i can have you talking with her tonight if you'd like.

4. Turbo

Turbo Contributing Member

It's crazy how many times I've seen threads pop up that relate to things that I have going on in my life. I'm actually going to an information seminar tomorrow on this very subject and aim to get as much information as possible. If you'd like, I can forward any questions you may have and get back to you with the answers.

5. BenignDMD

BenignDMD Contributing Member

me too! any info you guys may have on ACP would be appreciated.

i have looked into teaching for a charter school. you dont need a certification there.

i have heard that if you want to teach science or math classes, HISD may pay for your teaching certification.

6. Joshfast

Joshfast "We're all gonna die" - Billy Sole
    Supporting Member

Where is the information seminar at?

Thanks for the responses - I will post some general questions I have when I get home from work.

7. JunkyardDwg

JunkyardDwg Contributing Member

I just finished my certification...I went through Region IV ESC to get my alternative certification; took some online classes over the summer last year that didn't require too much effort (just mainly class management type of stuff). Had to pass the Phys Ed EC-12 content exam before I could even step into a classroom because I didn't major in that area in college..then you have to pass the Pedagogue exam; this past year I was teaching as an intern (get the same salary and benefits as a first year teacher); and now I'm just waiting for my standard certification to pass through and I'll be done. It's not very hard at all to do...but I think they just changed the rules...if you're trying to get certification in an area that you don't hold a degree in (and you're not a certified teacher already) you'll have to go back and complete the required hours in college before you can begin the acp program. Once you're certified though, you can apparently just take the content exam to get certified in another area.

8. Turbo

Turbo Contributing Member

The information session that I'll be attending is being offered through Austin Community College and will take place at the Highland Business Center here in town. I haven't decided if I'll be taking the program through ACC or another accredited program, but wanted to get as much info as possible before I make my final decision on whether this is something I want to do at the present time. Anyway, feel free to let me know what questions I may be able to get answered for you and I'll do my best to get them answered for you.