1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Alperen Sengun's Height

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by don grahamleone, Oct 5, 2023.

1. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

I think we can all agree that a lot happened in the offseason, we got ourselves a coach instead of a GM's puppet, we trebuchet-ed Kevin Porter Jr and our entire idea of what a point guard is farther away than Elon Musk can currently travel in a fully charged electric vehicle, we're older, wiser and more important than any single improvement we've made, Alperen Sengun has been labeled "taller".

@Clutch kindly provided a photo for us to make our own decision. I'll have none of that. I'll have 1) math 2) the biggest computer screen in the house 3) a tape measure.

I think we can all agree that the Wilson ball pictured from 2021 and the Wilson ball pictured in 2023 are the same size. There is a standard for regulation balls and that ball is not a fake. There's no reason for that. So what we have here with the same ball across two photos, is an object of fair comparison.

[​IMG]

Here is what I measured:

I blew up the picture as large as I could scale it and measured the left and right balls. They ARE different.

Left: 2 3/4 inches or 2.750
    Right: 2 27/32nds or 2.844

I then rescaled the photo so that I could measure heights. Hair is deceiving so I measured from the base of the heel in each photo, to the middle of the straighter eyebrow. This is a measurement that should give us a ratio or percentage of growth.

Height left: 7 17/32nds or 7.531
    Height right: 7 7/8ths or 7.875

I have no idea how the math is going to work out, but these are usable measurements if the ratio changed significantly between the two. If he didn't grow, the ratio of ball inches to height inches should not have changed.

Left ratio
    7.531/2.75 = 2.73855

Right ratio
    7.875/2.844 = 2.76899

So in all likelihood, Alperen Sengun has grown and he's grown 1.11 percent. That implies that if he was say 6'9" or 6.75 feet, he's likely 6.825 feet or 6'9.9. That's almost an inch of growth if he was 6'9 before.

I think we can all agree that next year is going to be a great year for the whole team because our best player grew an inch.

basso, Rashmon, mikenm268 and 19 others like this.
  2. topfive

topfive CF OG

Excellent detective work.

Measuring his balls was a stroke of genius!

#2 topfive, Oct 5, 2023
    Last edited: Oct 6, 2023
  3. Proud Firelander

These photos are misleading.
    Look at his knees/kneecaps: in 2023 photo they are observably lower. Assuming his legs didn't get shorter in those 2 years, the comparison offered is not fair. My guess is that if we could see full photos with shoes included, we would easily detect that he got longer by at least 2 inches.

invocux likes this.
  4. Tfor3

Tfor3 Member

IT’S GOTTA BE THE SHOES!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

DeBeards, Easy and WestendMassive like this.
  5. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

6. Ancient Moabite

When they play the Nuggets/Sixers/Heat etc then I hope some will do the math behind the mysterious height of Sengun

I feel he is a legit 6'10'' and some change (.5), but I could be wrong

DeBeards and CHAMPBOY like this.
  7. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Guys, there is 0.00001% chance you can spot a 1 inch difference in 2 photos. Please for the love of god, if you're not joking, please try to understand this.

Photos - in the first place - are not reality, do you understand? A perfectly taken photo is NOT identical to reality. That means Sengun in real life can be shorter than himself in one photo and taller than himself in another. DO YOU UNDERSTAND?

Do you understand that lens, sensor, light, distance, height, tilt, pan, editing and subject posture/positioning ALL affect photos and you - assuming you didn't study photography - have absolutely no idea how to spot most of that?

Do you think it's a coincidence that those not so high on Sengun can't see any growth and those who were high on him feel like he's grown an inch? How do you explain the distribution is so neat? Why would the distribution be that way if bias is not dominating it? Yes, our thoughts can affect how we see actual things in reality too.

It's so ridiculous that you think you can spot ONE INCH of difference like this, no matter how meticulous you get. Even a full on scientific researcher with complete knowledge of camera tech/software would NOT be able to predict this with a high level of certainty without metadata and software. To put it in perspective, if someone posted these comparisons to some dorky science board, they would be laughing out loud about how dumb this is.

You guys are making basketball fans look dumb, fitting the stereotype perfectly. Go do some research, it will take a fraction of the time it took to argue with people about it all the time.

Arnel, grape, basso and 3 others like this.
  8. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Phrasing

Arnel, basso, burlesk and 4 others like this.
  9. Rokman

Rokman Member

LMAO!!

10. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

Odd:
    *Socks are clearly higher his rookie season
    *Knee caps are higher his rookie season

*Belt line is higher in recent photo
    *Rockets lettering is at a higher level in recent photo

But it might be due to the camera angle of the center field camera

11. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

[​IMG]

12. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

I’m pretty confident that my right ball is bigger, too.
    But I haven’t blown up a picture of them to verify on my monitor, like @don grahamleone suggests.

It’s a “full photo with shoes included.” You have to click the image to see his feet.

13. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

Oh noes! Will @Clutch want Bruno Fernando (6'9 or 6'10? has @Clutch made a tweet about that yet?) to start over him?

14. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

15. WestendMassive

Splitter is legit 6'11. Alpe looks pretty close to his height here. Not quite as tall but it's close

16. Dredd

Dredd Member

He looks like an ostrich.

Arnel and Ancient Moabite like this.
  17. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Where are Antonio McDyess, Beno Udrih, Matt Bonner, Gary Neal......

18. cheke64

cheke64 Member

@Salvy already solved this mystery. Shame on you for not acknowledging it.

DeBeards and Salvy like this.
  19. hlmbasketball

hlmbasketball Member
    Supporting Member

So Tari Eason lied?? Alpi is not 7ft!

20. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

Yeah, Alpi is 6'10 or 6'10 1/2.

Case closed, can we now stop obsessing over another man's height ffs lol.