1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Alperen Sengun is the Rockets' franchise player

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by AroundTheWorld, Jan 17, 2023.

1. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

I could be wrong, but weren’t all those guys teams, other than Ball, going to be over the cap anyway so wouldn’t have had cap room to use? As for Ball and the Hornets I can see why they wouldn’t value their cap space as they weren’t a team trying to compete like the other 3.

2. astrosrule

astrosrule Member

It doesn't matter as much for super high picks because their cap holds are super high. If Alpi was the 1st pick in the draft, i would be saying that he should be signed now.

harold bingo likes this.
  3. harold bingo

harold bingo Udoka Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Can you be more explicit? I’m not really following, what is the actual downside? That Sengun feels insulted by the organization? Or like maybe he would play better knowing that we gave him a max, signifying that he’s our guy? Is it stuff like that?

Dobbizzle likes this.
  4. Houston77

Houston77 COOKIES AND CAKE, MY TEAM BAKED!
    Supporting Member

Well, for one, a rookie max allows us to give him an extra year, as opposed to matching a four-year offer with an possible opt-out. But, at the end of the day, the NBA is a players' league. You have to keep the players happy, because they have a ton of power. The Ayton/Suns thing was a mess, and they ended up giving him the max anyway. Sengun could demand a trade, simply accept the QO so he can hit free agency, etc. Or, it could impact the relationship later -- I believe one of the reasons Hayward left Utah was because he wasn't happy with Utah letting him hit restricted free agency.

5. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Hopefully Nene 2.0…

Easy likes this.
  6. astrosrule

astrosrule Member

Hayward is the worst case scenario for this situation in league history, and even that was because utah refused to max him out. If the rockets are willing to give alpi the full 5 year max, he will take it. Every single player that's been offered has taken it. If you think sengun is a moron or a mental midget then maybe you could argue it's worth losing the cap space, but i don't think of him that way.

7. clos4life

clos4life Member

@Os Trigonum

8. clos4life

clos4life Member

I've got a feeling Adams will go to the highest bidder if he plays well. Injuries and age will do that to you. I'm just glad we have Jock to backup Alpi if Adams leaves.

RudyTBag likes this.
  9. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Adams and Jock should both have some solid value. I do think Udoka with his sinister grin is dying to have Adams toughen Jabari and Alperen up down low before he goes.

Easy, clos4life and AroundTheWorld like this.
  10. cml750

cml750 Member

I am in the lock him up for the long haul camp. Jalen can earn it with his performance next year. Alpi has already proven himself.

AroundTheWorld likes this.
  11. astrosrule

astrosrule Member

Everyone (i believe) is in that camp. The camps are alpi + cap space vs alpi + 22 mil less cap space. His situation is identical is both scenarios

pmac likes this.
  12. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Nope?

cml750 likes this.
  13. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

14. Houston77

Houston77 COOKIES AND CAKE, MY TEAM BAKED!
    Supporting Member

Rockets trading for Jaylen Brown confirmed.

15. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

I am hoping to see this happening.

@Nook

Strawberry Gum likes this.
  16. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

17. astrosrule

astrosrule Member

That lineup should be able to challenge the worst offensive team in nba history, 1 guy who can dribble, 3 guys useless outside of 3 feet. Oof

Tuckmose likes this.
  18. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

Sengun will shoot 35% from three next year. Book it.

And Sengun hasn't been useless outside of 3 feet. Just not a good 3-point shooter yet.

Also, who cares, the other team would never get a rebound lol. We would play Tari style - shoot, miss, get the rebound, shoot again, miss, get the rebound, somehow make the basket :D.

19. astrosrule

astrosrule Member

No reason to expect him to shoot 35%, which by the way is bad anyway. I know it sounds like a fun/funny way to play but losing 105-80 wouldn't be super fun, even with "good" defense

20. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member