1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Alperen Sengun’s Defense at the Rim vs. Other Centers

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by RudyTBag, Mar 5, 2024.

1. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

In order of Total FG Defended at the Rim vs. "Field Goals Defended at Rim Percent"
    • Below 55%: Green
    • Between 55% and 60%: Yellow
    • Above 60%: Red
    1. Joel Embiid: 52.0
    2. Brook Lopez: 52.9
    3. Chet Holmgren: 52.9
    4. Myles Turner: 60.5
    5. Daniel Gafford: 58.6
    6. Alperen Sengun: 61.0 (Our Guy)
    7. Nikola Jokic: 64.2
    8. Evan Mobley: 55.6
    9. Anthony Davis: 54.4
    10. Walker Kessler: 49.4
    11. Domantas Sabonis: 64.5
    12. Jarrett Allen: 55.7
    13. Kristaps Porzingis: 52.0
    14. Nic Claxton: 51.4
    15. Rudy Gobert: 51.9
    16. Victor Wembanyama: 52.8
    17. Jakob Poeltl: 60.8
    18. Dereck Lively II: 59.3
    19. Jusuf Nurkic: 59.4
    20. Clint Capela: 56.0
    21. Zach Collins: 60.3
    22. Mark Williams: 66.1
    23. Nikola Vucevic: 62.2
    24. Isaiah Hartenstein: 53.3
    25. Ivica Zubac: 48.0
    26. Jaren Jackson Jr.: 59.4
    27. Onyeka Okongwu: 59.4
    28. Jalen Duren: 60.4
    29. Nick Richards: 60.9
    30. Deandre Ayton: 58.8
    31. Mitchell Robinson: 65.5
    32. Jonas Valanciunas: 65.7
    33. Jabari Smith: 57.9 (Our Guy)
    https://www.nba.com/stats/players/defensive-impact?PlayerPosition=C&dir=D&sort=DEF_RIM_FGA

Positive Spin:
    • Alperen is 6th in the NBA in terms of his rate of defending shots at the rim. I am proud of him for putting himself in the action and being in the right place at the right time. Reads like effort and defensive IQ to me.
    • Alperen is a good deal better at defending the rim than Jokic, Sabonis, and Valanciunas.
    • He is a lot younger than most of the names on this list.
    Alperen Sengun over the years... Has he improved?
    1. Rookie Season: 4.9 Contests, 63.9% Defense at the Rim.
    2. Sophomore Season: 6.2 Contests, 63.4% Defense at the Rim.
    3. Junior Season: 7.9 Contests, 61.0% Defense at the Rim.
    Phenomenal, year-by-year improvement. Can he continue to get better, and fight himself into that yellow group?

Interesting Comparisons and Life Goals
    Jabari Smith: 3.9 Contests, 57.9% Defense at the Rim
    Alperen Sengun: 7.9 Contests, 61.0% Defense at the Rim

Evan Mobley: 7.7 Contests, 55.6% Defense at the Rim
    Jarrett Allen: 7.4 Contests, 55.7% Defense at the Rim

KAT: 3.7 FG Contests, 60.9% Defense at the Rim
    Gobert: 7.3 FG Contests, 51.9% Defense at the Rim

Conclusion: I think Jabari and Alperen can do it. I think they will be a more than solid defensive front-line in the future. Alperen can make it to that yellow group, and Jabari Smith has all the tools to get into that green group. Amen and Tari will most certainly help as they mature, as will Steven Adams in the off-season.

#1 RudyTBag, Mar 5, 2024
    Last edited: Mar 5, 2024
  2. Houston77

Houston77 COOKIES AND CAKE, MY TEAM BAKED!
    Supporting Member

Virtually every metric shows the that Sengun is a good defender for his age. It’s just that some on here choose to focus on their biased eyes rather than objective facts. Confirmation bias at its finest.

#2 Houston77, Mar 5, 2024
  3. OremLK

OremLK Member

I don't think he has the tools to be an elite defender--just like Pau Gasol was never known for his defense--but it's silly to me that some of our posters seem to think a 6'11" guy with decent athleticism and good basketball instincts can only ever be a defensive liability. It is normal for 21-year-olds to need some work on their defense, only defensive phenoms like Amen come into the league ready to make a serious impact on that end.

Sengun will always be an offense-first player, but there is no reason he can't become a solid-average defensive big man.

Nice analysis, @RudyTBag.

4. BamBam

BamBam Contributing Member

Tbag losing his mind!!! ;)
    ANOTHER quality post/thread!!!

Go Rockets!!!

5. hlmbasketball

hlmbasketball Member
    Supporting Member

Im in agreement that he is there BUT the question is what does he do when he get there?? I see opposing players rebounding on top of him, which is a direct result of him being too short. And I don’t see him blocking shots at a high rate, which is also a direct result of him being too short.

Is a he a smart player, yes. Your numbers prove that, however if he knows where to be and he is there but he can't do anything, what does that say??

I've said on many occassions, I like Alpi but he needs help and the only way he's going to be effective is if he is put in a situation similar or better than Jokic. He needs to be paired with a 6'11 - 7ft SF and a 7ft PF. Two players that can makeup for his weaknesses.

I think Jabari would be perfect as a SF. The Rockets need to find a PF.

ramotadab likes this.
  6. apollo33

apollo33 Member

So basically Sengun can get there and contest but his contest isn't very effective at actually stopping people from scoring.

ramotadab likes this.
  7. RudyTBag

Supporting Member

We will get a chance to see and experiment with some big ball next year I think, like Horford at PF in Boston when Udoka was there. I expect to see Steven Adams for 25+ minutes a night, with Bari and Alperen shifting down.

8. invocux

invocux Member

Somebody on Twitter said that the reason why they call foul on him even when he is vertical is because he pushes out his chest on air to embrace the contact and they think it breaks his verticality. If that's true these refs need to be shot dead.

HardenReturns and AroundTheWorld like this.
  9. RudyTBag

Supporting Member

Basically, he is improving. If he takes another step or two he puts himself in the mix with some really good defensive players in the yellow zone. It also shows that he is already much better than his most common comparisons, Jokic and Sabonis, when it comes to altering shots at the rim.

10. invocux

invocux Member

NBA games are almost always close until the 4th q and the difference makers are either beasts like Giannis who will show up when it matters the most and score on you no matter what and sharpshooters that will keep you at arms reach. If you don't have your Giannis you have to have sharpshooters. Remember the Indiana-Bucks games. 142-130 Pacers W (40% 3pt shooting) 126-124 Pacers W (41.7%). Only way to beat these teams is to have sharpshooters. To beat the teams that have sharpshooters you have to have sharpshooters and play perimeter defense. Poor rim protector will cost you 5 games while nonshooting guards will cost you 20 and lack of perimeter defense will cost you another 20. People who are hyperfixating on Sengun's defense are dumbest mfs in our fanbase. You can consistently make playoffs with a poor rim protector (Sabonis) while poor shooting guards will guarantee you being one of the worst teams itl every single season. That one is guaranteed.

ramotadab and ilias like this.
  11. hlmbasketball

hlmbasketball Member
    Supporting Member

I think that's the main problem, he is not altering shots. Wemby, Chet and even Jokic alter shots. Their length help them to alter shots. Sabonis and Sengun don't alter shots.

Think of Chuck Hayes. Really good position defender. He was always in good position, drew charges and played well postionally but players consistently played over the top of him.

Sengun is obviously taller than Hayes but they both struggled against length.

ramotadab likes this.
  12. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Nice thread/numbers.

This data is always easy to "analyze" on an x/y scatter chart often with the size of circles changing type thing.
    Worth noting there is still some sample size issues. Not that 5 shots don't make a difference, but as an example if dudes missed 5 more shots on Alpi and made 5 more on Jabari, Alpi's dfg% would be better.

I concur with most - he has high IQ, is active, tries his best, but will ofc ultimately be limited.

There are the obvious good teams that have equally meh defensive centers.... but also worth noting those are the obvious teams that have emphasized shooting, spacing and ball movement around their offensive big... which we haven't done.

I'm willing to try this... but also think it probably isn't the best idea either. Like... Jabari can barely dribble. If we're thinking MPJ mold... ok, not a bad idea, but even MPJ seems to have way more fluidity than Bari. Not just dribbling, but movement shooting, cutting. Nvm the fact he's just a consistently much better shooter.

13. conquistador#11

Before Feb hit he was around 58ish%, which is pretty damn great in today's nba and the fact that he will be the hub of the offense.

If you listen to away broadcasts like I do, you'll always hear the commentators say a variation of " get their big man in the pick and roll, he has trouble defending it" (insert 29 broadcasts)

#13 conquistador#11, Mar 5, 2024
    Ankara1923 and RudyTBag like this.
  14. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

You hear that even more on Rocketswatch. :cool:

15. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

This was probably a good deal of work, and it's really good analysis. Thank you!

RudyTBag likes this.
  16. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

I think Bari will get better at it as he bulks up, a lot of his interior defensive issues is just him being a 20 year old that hasn't added grown man strength yet. When he does, along with having Amen and hopefully Tari back, these three will forever mask most defensive issues on the court that any other player has.

That said, I never felt like Alpi was exactly a liability, some nights he does get hunted with those alley oops but I feel like in an ideal situation Alpi will make up for what he brings on offense.

My look at it is always on how it works for the team. I think Bari, Tari, and Amen will lead this to be one of the best defensive teams in the NBA in a couple of years.

17. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Love your optimism man, I agree.

Even more so if we can get Adams in the mix and get him back fully healthy and hopefully extend him.

18. conquistador#11

haha. For example I was watching a bit of the Spurs v Okc, " Why are they getting away from the Pick and Roll. They had the Spurs defenders on skates."

19. AlperenSengun

AlperenSengun Member

20. Houston77

Houston77 COOKIES AND CAKE, MY TEAM BAKED!
    Supporting Member

Oh yeah. Wemby really altered Sengun's shot tonight.

HardenReturns, RudyTBag and cmoak1982 like this.