1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Alou and Lima giving interest to YANKEES!

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by Francis3, Jun 21, 2000.

1. Francis3

Francis3 Member

BOSTON -- While Jose Vizcaino joined the Yankees on Wednesday, the team stepped up its pursuit of two players whose names hadn't been at the top of New York's wish list: Moises Alou and Jose Lima.

Lima

Moises Alou

The Yankees and Houston Astros were discussing such a deal and proposing various combinations, according to a pair of Yankees officials who spoke on the condition they not be identified.

To land Alou, a power-hitting outfielder, and Lima, a pitcher who has slumped badly this season, the Yankees probably would have to part with outfielder Ricky Ledee, top infielder Alfonso Soriano and a top minor league pitching prospect, one of the Yankees officials said.

"It's the first time in my career that my name has been mentioned in trade rumors during the season," Alou said before the Astros played the Dodgers. "But rumors are just rumors. Usually, I am asked if I'd agree to go to this place or that place, and that hasn't happened here. I have a no-trade agreement. If I don't want to go anywhere, I won't."

Alou is hitting .312 with 10 homers and 27 RBI. Lima is 1-10 with a 7.07 ERA but has pitched well in his last two starts. Following three NL Central titles, the Astros have been a major disappointment, and at 25-44, began the night with the worst record in the majors.

"My sister called me from the Dominican and said she heard it on the radio," Lima said. "I guess I'd say I'm shocked. I hope it doesn't happen. I have my family here and a home here. But if it does, then I am a baseball player and I will do my job."

While a deal wasn't imminent, talks with Houston had heated up, both Yankees officials said.

After losing four straight games to the Chicago White Sox over the weekend, there was speculation New York was getting closer to a trade. Chicago Cubs outfielder Sammy Sosa, Detroit outfielder Juan Gonzalez and San Francisco outfielder Ellis Burks have been the top focuses.

"I don't know what you're talking about," Yankees manager Joe Torre told reporters when asked about trade talks before Wednesday's game against the Boston Red Sox. "If we play the way we have the last couple of days, I think we'll be fine."

The Yankees won the first two games of the four-game series with Boston 22-1 and 3-0, beating Pedro Martinez on Tuesday night.

Torre also declined to comment on a report that Philadelphia pitcher Curt Schilling said he'd like to play for the Yankees.

"That's another one of those guys I'm not talking about because he's not here," Torre said.
    The hot topic in the last week has been Sosa. The New York Times reported Wednesday that Cubs officials told the Yankees two weeks ago that they would need a significant package in return for Sosa, one of the game's most popular players. The Cubs have been scouting the Yankees' entire organization for about two weeks, and Yankees officials have been concerned, as they wait to hear from the Cubs, that the asking price will be exorbitant.

The Yankees would have to surrender Soriano in a Sosa deal and would probably include prospects like Randy Keisler, a minor league pitcher, as well as right-hander Jake Westbrook and Ledee.

I cant wait to see how the Astros Gm will **** up this deal. Even though lima sucks this year, he is lima and I dont want him to leave. [​IMG]

------------------
    President of the Moochie Norris FAN CLUB

2. Puedlfor

Puedlfor Contributing Member

I don't know what to think. I don't trust the Astro's management with trades anymore.

------------------
    Its only my opinion. Feel free to disagree.

3. BobFinn*

BobFinn* Contributing Member

I would trade Alou for Ledee and a pitcher, I like Lima, but he is having a Holt-like season. Lima's father has cancer, so I would think that has to affect his ability to concentrate. I hope the Astros keep him. He would probably turn out like Joaquin Andujar after the Astros traded him (won 20 games twice)

4. Smokey

Smokey Contributing Member

Now that the Yankees have Vizcaino to play 2nd, they have no need for Knoblauch. I know this is crazy with the probs Knoblauch is having, but I would really like to see him end his career in an Astros uniform.

Alou for Ledee? I don't know. I don't think I would give up on Lima yet. Yankees are willing to give us Ledee, a SS prospect, and a P prospect.

------------------
    It's all good!

5. Deji McGever

Deji McGever יליד טקסני

Frankly, Lima is my favorite player in an Astros uniform since Ryan. His antics can get the most casual of fans watching the games. I'd be heartbroken if he left. Last year the guy worked as hard in the dugout pumping up the players and fans as he did on the mound. Just how pissed do they want fgans to be? Why not throw in Bagwell, Biggio, and Wagner and sign John Rocker?

I miss the 'dome.

-Deji

------------------

[This message has been edited by Deji (edited June 22, 2000).]

[This message has been edited by Deji (edited June 22, 2000).]