1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

All that and we're still in the playoffs

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Caltex2, Sep 25, 2023.

1. Caltex2

Caltex2 Member

Ain't the new expanded playoffs great? Win this series and all we'd have to do at Arizona is win 2/3 most likely.

2. Astrodome

Astrodome Member
    Supporting Member

Seattle has the breaker and our number this year so this is not the ideal spot. The actual playoffs begin tonight.

Stephen66, Jake Tower, Qan and 2 others like this.
  3. YOLO

YOLO Member

If the stros only go 2-1 vs seattle, then go 2-1 vs zona. AND they need for seattle to lose 1 vs Tex

still in the playoffs hunt sure, but they sure did put themselves in the absolute worst position with such a soft schedule to end the year, with 9 games vs two of the worst teams in the league and only winning 2/9

#3 YOLO, Sep 25, 2023
    Last edited: Sep 25, 2023
    whiskeyred and Uprising like this.
  4. mkahanek

mkahanek Member

I don't think they want to win. I don't know why. But you don't drop 7 of 9 against the DREGS unless you try to our you flat out choke and these guys are battle tested. They did not choke. Something is amiss. Maybe there is a fracture in the locker room. I don't know. But they had the perfect setup with Seattle and Texas showing down while we had 9 against garbage. We completely blew it and then some. Anything other than 2 of 3 against Seattle and this season is over. IDEAL is we break out the brooms and then Seattle breaks out the brooms on the Rangers and put us in the first round bye. Now that would be a hell of a turn around.

5. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

The fact that Baker didn't put out our best lineup for most of those games shows his lack of urgency and the issue with this year's team. We had less room for margin this season and Baker made it worse. We could have easily been 4-5 games ahead in the division but didn't take every game seriously.

6. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

I completely disagree with the opinion that they do not want to win or were not trying.

1) Every team in this league is made up of the 1/100 of 1% of best baseball players in the world- even the A's and Royals.

2) this is baseball. It is more effected by chance than any other professional sport. Even the worst teams win 50+ games in a season.

3) Sometimes you can try too hard or want to win too much and hinder yourself.

It reminds of when I was younger and waited until close to the deadline to do my schoolwork. It always felt like things popped up like computer problems or the phone ringing preventing me from doing my work fast enough or with the quality needed for an A no matter how hard I worked.

Pressure gets to everyone to some extent.

7. IBTL

IBTL Member
    Supporting Member

Lol.

everyday eddie and Salvy like this.
  8. Pistol Pete

Pistol Pete Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Even if we make the playoffs, we are NOT looking like a serious contender to win it all.

IBTL likes this.
  9. YOLO

YOLO Member

Good thing everything resets once you make the playoffs. Nobody had the Phillies going to the WS with their 87 wins vs the stros

10. lnchan

lnchan Sugar Land Leonard

Don't underestimate how far Houston sports teams can collapse. Remember Buffalo. Remember the Correa error game. Remember the Nats World Series. Remember the 2004 Rice Owls.

IBTL likes this.
  11. IBTL

IBTL Member
    Supporting Member

Good luck with that.

12. IBTL

IBTL Member
    Supporting Member

Exactly.

13. YOLO

YOLO Member

Don’t really need it. If it happens, it happens. You’ll be watching just like everyone else around here

14. Buck Turgidson

Point of Order:

It's properly referred to as the Postseason, not the Playoffs. I only make that distinction because MLB makes that distinction.

arkoe, jim1961 and Radricky like this.
  15. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

I would say even if we make the playoffs, we must empty the tank and no pitcher will be rested.

16. jim1961

jim1961 Member

I am not sure we can contend to win a series.
    Winning it all isnt even on my radar right now.

17. Elienator

Elienator Member

Only 1 team wins it all each year. Even in a dominant year, a team maybe has a 20% to chance to win it all once they make the post-season. Once in the post-season every team’s goal is to keep winning the next game and trying to defy the odds.

For the Astros because of the way they played over the past 156 games, the post-season starts early. They still control their own destiny, but now it’s win or go home.

jim1961 likes this.
  18. rpr52121

rpr52121 Sober Fan
    Supporting Member

Haven't the Astros always stunk in that building? Kind like how they always stink at Tropicana?

19. IBTL

IBTL Member
    Supporting Member

I'm saying your take is stupid and full of ****.

20. YOLO

YOLO Member

Boohooo.

so the 87 win Phillies didn’t just go to the WS? Oh that’s a fact. Nobody had them going to the WS? Oh that’s a fact. Once the postseason starts, everything resets? Oh also a fact. Nobody gives a shitt what you did in the regular season

cool. And like I said you’ll still be watching this week despite whining and complaining how the stros are done