1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

All NBA Round 2 Matchup #1

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by RocketsRed14, Jul 18, 2011.

Tags:
?

Who Has The Better Team?

Poll closed Jul 23, 2011.
  1. Roxsquad

50.0%
  2. TheThing

50.0%
  1. RocketsRed14

RocketsRed14 Member

Round 2 has officially begun. Same rules apply to this thread just like the first. Please feel free to comment on why you think which team is better, i think everyone would like to know why you chose who.

Roxsquad

Pg- Gary Payton
    Sg- Michael Jordan
    Sf- James Worthy
    Pf- Dirk Nowitzki
    C- Patrick Ewing

Bench
    Sf- Ron Artest
    C- Alonzo Mourning
    Pg- Rajon Rondo

TheThing

Pg- Chris Paul
    Sg- Kobe Bryant
    Sf- Rick Barry
    Pf- Kevin Garnett
    C- Wilt Chamberlain

Bench

Sg- Vince Carter
    Pg- Derrick Rose
    Pf- Dave Cowens

2. VBG

VBG Member

Oh wow this is tough.

On One hand you have pretty much the best defensive team.

On the other you have pretty much the most pure talent on a team.

Kobe vs Jordan I see Jordan winning.

I see Payton really working on CP3 and shutting him down.

I don't like either of the benches though

3. thething

thething Contributing Member

My team is frankly more athletic and more talented.

I think MJ would be a bit of a ball-hog against this team and I have the kind of team defense that could limit him.

Garnett is the kind of defender that could give Nowitzki fits. He's so versatile and could really score on him inside. I think this is the kind of game where Dirk would be tentative and generally ineffective.

Ewing is a good defender, but he stands no chance against Wilt. Wilt would dominate Ewing just like he did everyone else. Wilt was a great defender also and would give Ewing problems.

Kobe vs MJ could get interesting. Both are intense competitors. That probably would bring out the best in both of them.

Rick Barry might be my best source of offense. He averaged 34 ppg one year. Paul could set him up for easy looks and Barry can score in so many ways.

Ron Artest could kill their team's chances if he goes Ron-Ron on us and starts chucking shots like he always does. He thinks he should be the hero and not MJ. One of the douchebags on my team would definitely get in his head.

4. thething

How is one of those not my team?

Wilt, Garnett, and Kobe were world class defenders. Count up the defensive first team selections between those three.
    Paul has the quickness to stay with Payton and could hold his ground. He is a monster in the passing lane. He has one defensive first team also.
    Barry was a good team defender.

His only real advantage is MJ and Payton. And MJ is not much of an advantage over Kobe.

My bench is all athletes that could score on anyone (plus Cowens). He has some good defensive players that could seriously limit the team on offense. I think I have the advantage there also.

5. JumpMan

JumpMan Contributing Member
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

This is tough. Roxsquad has the better backcourt, by a lot, but thething has the better froncourt, also by a lot. I can see Payton and Jordan totally mind****ing Paul and Bryant, and Nowitzki getting the best of Garnett, but Barry and Wilt completely outclass Worthy and Ewing - and it ain't even close -. I think Nowitzki is the key here, but I don't see Jordan deferring to him for a second with neo-Jordans Bryant and Carter guarding him everytime down the court and with GOAT competition Chamberlain in the paint. Jordan will definitely try to impose his will in this series and probably to a fault.

Damn, it's tough, but I picked Chamberlain's team because it's going to boss the paint and I think he totally dominates Ewing, Nowitzki, and Mourning. IMO, the combined production of those three will probably be about half of what Chamberlain, Garnett, and Cowens produce. And I think Barry, Paul, and Bryant do just enough in the clutch to beat Jordan and an often ignored Nowitzki.

Also, off the bench, I just don't see how Artest, Mourning, and especially Rondo score in this type of series, while Carter and Rose definitely have the athleticism and talent to make plays and Cowens definitely has the heart and tenacity to make a difference. Finally, as far as shooting goes, thething's team has longrange with Paul, Bryant, Barry, and Carter and mid-range bigs with Garnett and Cowens. Roxsquad has Nowitzki, but that's about it. Who can't envision Jordan driving and kicking it out to a wideopen Payton or Worthy or Rondo or Artest and have them proceed to brick about 75% of their attempts? Or dish it off to Ewing and Mourning and see them bobble passes off their hands - IIRC, they had bad hands, no? - out of surprise - that Jordan is passing it to them - and fear - that Chamberlain is around -.

Wilt's team in 6.

6. Alvin Choo

Alvin Choo Member

Have to go with the thing for this one.
    No reliable 3 point shooting against the likes of Wilt and KG is like a suicide mission.

Jordan vs Kobe and Carter will be a very interesting contest.

7. AXG

AXG Member

This one is tough. Ultimately I picked thething because I felt like the big men would dominate the Rox's and the bench is a lot better.

8. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

The backcourt duels would be fun to watch. Paul and Payton would be epic and MJ/Kobe would be beyond that. I can see both SGs letting it get personal and torpedoing their teams.

The big advantage in this matchup is Barry. He's a solid forward who happens to be a world class passer. If Paul is smart, he will first look to pass to Barry instead of Kobe if they are all on the perimeter. (I do like Paul's ability to get to the lane and throw lobs to Wilt.)

Another advantage is at the Center position. Wilt/Cowens is much better than Ewing/Mourning.

Dirk and KG have different games and given the drama going on in this matchup, i think KG's gane translates a little better.

I'm not wild about any of the bench players save for Cowens, who is a smart, scrappy guy capable of playing C or PF.

Vote goes to TheThing.

9. greenhippos

greenhippos Member

Thething got my vote also, but looks like we're still in the minority. Probably a lot of votes for Rox simply because of one player.

10. thething

Anyone that knows basketball can see that my team is better. MJ fan lovers are voting for Rox and that is winning right now.

11. VBG

VBG Member

I don't think Dirk would have fun going against prime garnett.

Wilt over Ewing is a bigger gap than Jordan over Kobe.

12. RoxSqaud

RoxSqaud Member

I dont care who wins.

Just don't cheat vote to win.

13. thething

Why do it if you don't care who wins?

Agreed. I thought he fixed it so you couldn't do that, though.

14. BigBenito

BigBenito Member

You can now count the names of the voters. The actual tally on the poll means very little.

15. RoxSqaud

RoxSqaud Member

It's not going to ruin my day if I lose...

16. SuperBeeKay

SuperBeeKay Member

17. RoxSqaud

RoxSqaud Member

Wilt would get shut down by Mourning.

Mourning isn't 6'5.

Wilt = Overrated.

Show me a youtube video of Wilt dominating?...

**** Wilt.

Yao > Wilt.

18. Bids9

Bids9 Member

Any team with MJ in it has the edge for me.

19. MorningZippo

MorningZippo Member

Roxsquad

Pg- Gary Payton
    Sg- Michael Jordan
    Sf- James Worthy
    Pf- Dirk Nowitzki
    C- Patrick Ewing

Bench
    Sf- Ron Artest
    C- Alonzo Mourning
    Pg- Rajon Rondo

TheThing

Pg- Chris Paul
    Sg- Kobe Bryant
    Sf- Rick Barry
    Pf- Kevin Garnett
    C- Wilt Chamberlain

Bench

Sg- Vince Carter
    Pg- Derrick Rose
    Pf- Dave Cowens[/QUOTE]

I honestly think thething has by far the best team. Every single player in his starting lineup is one of the best passers for their position, with incredible athleticism and
    Scoring coming off the bench. Dave cowens will absolutely inspire his team to succeed off the bench.

However, going by primes, roxsquad has two of the best closers in the game and possibly the best defense of any team so far. Rondo would kill rose off the bench because rose would not get the touches to be as effective as he normally is.

I think bringing defense of the bench would have been better in an all nba setting only because so many all time greats need the ball to be effective, so I'm rating players that have the skillset to play off the ball in a team setting a littlehigher than I would otherwise.

However in the end I think roxsquads lack of 3 pt shooting cost him the series, even with his superior closing power.

20. MosKeemYao

MosKeemYao Member

oh i made it 45 - 45