1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Algerian Soccer Team Bus Gets Attacked

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by jeffvangundy, Nov 12, 2009.

1. jeffvangundy

jeffvangundy Member

Saturday Afternoon, Algeria and Egypt will face off, with a world cup spot on the line..

Well.. 2 days before the game the Algerian national team bus gets attacked by bricks in Cairo, having just left the airport. Three players are reportedly injured, including Rafik Saifi, who was hit on his hand, and Rafik Halliche and Khaled Lemmouchia, who were both struck in the head.

Pretty shocking considering im Algerian, i mean, Both countries are arab and in North Africa, i dont get why all this violence because of a soccer game

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/S-QXaa0kKTM&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/S-QXaa0kKTM&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/FSc_J_LyWoM&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/FSc_J_LyWoM&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>

2. Ari

Ari Member

those people take their soccer seriously, dont they? I hear stuff like happens in Europe and Latin America all the time. How come we dont really hear about things like that here in the US? We have rabid fans here but nothing like what soccer inspires worldwide. Maybe its the nationalism aspect added to a more international sport.

3. YallMean

YallMean Member

Soccer is the war for the civil world.

A former goalie for the Germany national team just killed himself a few days ago, and the whole country went mourning for him. The Germany Chancellor wrote a letter to the surviving wife and the national team canceled the soccer match on the weekend for him. Yeah national soccer is taken very seriously.

4. jeffvangundy

jeffvangundy Member

lol i was in Algeria 2 months ago and the streets went berserk cuz we won som exhibition game..i guess its what represents us on the world stage......

5. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Good lord, that's just insane. I know I'm a fanatic about the Rockets, but it's still a freakin' game. Stupid crazy people.

6. Kwame

Kwame Contributing Member

That is absolutely unacceptable. As punishment, FIFA should either move the game to a neutral site or have the teams play in an empty stadium. I believe UEFA has done the latter before.

7. ferrari77

ferrari77 Contributing Member

I don't think this qualifies as a reason for Fifa to do the above and I don't believe UEFA has moved a game site or made teams play in an empty stadium because fans threw projectiles at players going to or sitting in the team bus.

8. jeffvangundy

jeffvangundy Member

something to add

An Egyptian police official denied that Algerian team members were hurt.

The official said security troops overpowered local fans who tried to throw stones at the arriving members of the Algerian squad. Emotional Egyptian fans waited for the Algerians outside the airport but police managed to prevent them from hurling stones, the official said.

Clearly, the egyptian police is in this too

9. YallMean

YallMean Member

Fifa or AFA should step in. It needs to make sure of basic safety issue of players. Some sort of ban is warranted if facts support.

10. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Hooligans.

DD

11. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Whenever I hear the Jazz are coming to town I have to fight the urge to throw bricks at their team bus. ;)

Seriously though that is terrible. I don't follow soccer that much so I don't know what gets people that worked up about it. In Europe I suspect alcohal plays a big role but I don't know what supposedly sober Egyptians would be get that worked up about.

12. Big MAK

Big MAK Member

We need to take plays from their book... Next time the Jazz come to town, anyone want to go to the airport with me with a truck bed full of bricks?

13. Big MAK

Big MAK Member

beat me to the jazz joke :-(

14. astros148

astros148 Member

lol when egypt went to alegeria they were treated pretty good , egytians are very cocky for the most part

15. ferrari77

ferrari77 Contributing Member

I ain't even playing, I'd do that anytime y'all wanna go. I seriously can't believe Americans don't do that more often. Instead you have all the fans in the city the away team is visiting queuing up outside the hotel for autographs!!! :eek:

In every other part of the world there'd be abuse, songs mocking the other team and its players, and some projectiles if the situation got extreme.

I'm all for it. (I know my buddies who play sure aren't but whateva). :)

16. jeffvangundy

jeffvangundy Member

Tell me about it, they said we poisoned their food ..

17. TECH

TECH Contributing Member

If that type of stuff happened here, don't cry when the games aren't played.

18. Pharaoh King

Pharaoh King Member

lol HOW DID THAT ONE TASTE BIATCHES??!! :D

For those not following the world cup qualifiers, Egypt and Algeria just played what was meant to be the decisive game that would send one of them South Africa for the 2010 World Cup. Algeria had the upper hand coming in, knowing that all they had to do was hold us to a differential of one goal (1-0, 2-1, 3-2 et al) and they would easily advanced.

Well, Egypt just beat Algeria 2-0 in Cairo, thereby forcing a third and decisive match that will be played on neutral ground in the Sudan (Khartoum I think). Egypt scored the 2nd goal in overtime, making it that much sweeter. I definitely teared up and watching it and celebrating that 2nd goal with my dad is a moment I likely won't ever forget.

19. Pharaoh King

Pharaoh King Member

Oh yah a link :D :cool:

Egypt beats Algeria 2-0 in WCup qualifier

CAIRO — Emad Meteab headed in a goal in the fifth minute of injury time on Saturday to give Egypt a 2-0 win over Algeria in a World Cup qualifier, setting up a decisive playoff between the two teams next week.

Amr Zaki gave Egypt the lead in the second minute, but the host needed a second goal to ensure that both teams ended up level on points and goal difference in Group C.

The two sides will play again Wednesday in Sudan, with the winner advancing to the finals in South Africa next year.

Fireworks lit up the sky over the stadium and Egyptians took to the streets, celebrating with dancing, honking car horns and lighting flares. In downtown Cairo, fans meeting to watch the game erupted with joy after Egypt's second goal and shouted anti-Algerian chants.

In 1989, fans rioted after Egypt beat Algeria 1-0 in a similarly crucial fixture.

Egyptian fans greeted the Algerian team at the airport on Thursday by pelting their bus with stones and Algerian officials said two team members were injured. On Saturday, both Khaled Lemmouchia and Rafik Halliche wore head bandages while playing.

Special forces, counterterrorism squads and plainclothes agents were deployed in and around the 80,000-seat stadium. Police searched fans entering the stadium. Sharp objects, cans and glass bottles were banned.

Egypt, a record six-time winner of the African Cup, hasn't reached the World Cup since 1990. The last time Algeria played in the World Cup was 22 years ago.

20. Pharaoh King

Pharaoh King Member

arggh damn here is the link :eek:

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/soccer/2009-11-14-2939742087_x.htm