1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Alex Bregman for MVP

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by joshuaao, Aug 25, 2019.

1. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

So baseball hasn't been good for a number of years in Manfred's mind?

msn likes this.
  2. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

I don't think so. I believe he thought the Yankees would ignore the CAP and double every other team's spending. But George is gone.

Sign stealing was OK and part of the game until the Astros did it better.

Shifts were OK until the Astros did it better.

Juiced balls were OK until the Astros hit them more often.

Sticky stuff was OK until the Astros focused on spin rate.

Mound visit limits...

three batter rule...

See the connection?

#262 Marshall Bryant, Jun 1, 2022
    Last edited: Jun 1, 2022
    vince likes this.
  3. Nook

Nook Member

I dont know that anyone knows what is going on in Manfred's mine.

msn likes this.
  4. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

Is that his Gold Mine?

rockbox and Nook like this.
  5. bobrek

First..electronic sign stealing wasn't "OK" when the Astros did it in 2017.

The Astros were the most shifting team back in the mid 2010s but they had a lower percentage of "saved" hits than other shifting teams. In 2020 the Dodgers shifted more than anyone. It isn't the Astros shifting, it is the overall proliferation of the shift that is leading to its banning.

From 2017 - 2021, the Astros never led the league in HRs. They were 2nd once (coincidentally 2017) and 3rd once. The other 3 years they finished no higher than 8th. They did better in slugging, twice leading, once 3rd, once 8th and once 14th (or something like that).

Astros were focused on spin rates for a number of years. Other teams copied the success of the Astros analytics and started focusing on similar types of stats.

In other words - MLB is not changing the rules to hose over the Astros.

Buck Turgidson likes this.
  6. msn

msn Member

Can you repeat all that? My tinfoil hat was stuck, and I couldn't hear you.

7. BlindHog

BlindHog Member

When did they start making electronic trash cans?

8. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

Right after a shortage of vibrating Apple Watches and Beltran's revelation that the Astros were behind in the sign stealing electronic espionage rampant in New York and Boston with their well placed outfield camera's and accessible monitors for real time "adjustments.".

But to be fair, it was the Giants in the mid fifties when they were in NY that placing team camera's in CF to steal signs began. 1951 I think.

https://nypost.com/2002/07/29/51-giants-come-clean-admit-to-sign-stealing-scheme/

Relaying stolen signals electronically is much older than that. Probably "Binoculars in the Outfield." and certainly not Angels.

https://sports.yahoo.com/shocking-history-sign-stealing-baseball-053859138.html

#268 Marshall Bryant, Jun 3, 2022
    Last edited: Jun 3, 2022
    everyday eddie likes this.
  9. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

The key is always "when the Astros did it." It was never a problem when the beloved franchises did it.

vince likes this.
  10. bobrek

But they didn't change the balls "when the Astros did it". They sent teams a letter about the sign stealing before the Astros were caught and punished. The Astros weren't the reason they changed the sticky stuff.

Take off your 'poor Astros' glasses.

11. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

We'll just have to disagree. Nothing wrong with that. You can choose to focus on copycat teams doing what the Astros were successful doing and say it's not in response to the Astros. I can actually see that position as well.

12. bobrek

Do you agree that MLB warned teams about electronic sign stealing PRIOR to the Astros being found out and punished?

13. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

I think it's common knowledge that the Astros cheated after the commissioner sent the letter warning teams and telling them to cut it out.

What has been rarely mentioned is that the investigation found that Luhnow did not forward that letter to the players and coaches.

So as the " head of the snake" Luhnow is responsible and the Astros are too, but the players and coaches should be getting A BIT more of a break than anyone is willing to give.

marks0223 likes this.
  14. bobrek

That's not the point of my post.. the point is that (in this example) that electronic sign stealing crackdown didn't start because of the Astros nefarious behavior. All teams were warned prior to the Astros being punished.

15. BlindHog

BlindHog Member

I do not. That warning was about communicating stolen signs electronically. It is why the Astros went low tech by communicating with trash cans. If they had thought of it they may have tried smoke signals or drums. Watches, buzzers, earpieces and the like where at issue. The Astros may have been the only team complying to that warning.

vince likes this.
  16. bobrek

The Astros used 'illegal' cameras in CF (i.e. electronics) to get the signs.

17. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

Let's hope the hot streak that gets his numbers up is at the end of the season and into the playoffs.

18. Buck Turgidson

At the outset, it is important to understand that the attempt to decode signs being used by an opposing catcher is not a violation of any Major League Baseball Rule or Regulation. Major League Baseball Regulations do, however, prohibit the use of electronic equipment during games and state that no such equipment “may be used for the purpose of stealing signs or conveying information designed to give a Club an advantage.” -- Rob Manfred, on the Red Sox "Apple Watch" violations, September 15, 2017

See that "or" there?

19. mkahanek

mkahanek Member

Holy smokes. I keep up with the game thread because I can’t watch the games much. I read a lot of frustration with Bregman. So I decided to check his stats 2019 forward. Dude is a different player. What the h***. Was he a huge beneficiary of the “dark arts”?

20. Buck Turgidson

Since May 7th 2021, the day he announced his bland ass salsa, he is slashing: .241 .347 .393 .740 in 499 PA