1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Alaska will try something completely new in the fall election

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by T_Man, Jan 21, 2022.

1. T_Man

T_Man Contributing Member

I'm actually very interested in this process...

https://www.yahoo.com/news/alaska-i...etely-new-in-the-fall-election-193615285.html

Nook, Deckard, ThatBoyNick and 9 others like this.
  2. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

3. Reeko

Reeko Member

I’m interested in this as well

4. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

We've had Ranked Choice in Minneapolis and St. Paul for a few years. It only applies to city elections. So far I think it's been a mixed bag and was one reason why our current Mayor Jacob Frey survived even though he did a piss poor job following the George Floyd Protests.

RayRay10 likes this.
  5. T_Man

Yeah the article was saying this is the first time that this will be on the state level...

The New York Mayors race also used the same concept...

T_Man

RayRay10 and tinman like this.
  6. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

He won by 11%. If not for ranked voting, it would probably be a bigger win (he was leading by 19pt in the poll - same poll that showed he has 44% of the 1st choice) and he probably was unlikely to even be at a risk of losing.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

RayRay10 likes this.
  7. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I stand corrected. I hadn't seen an in detail results breakdown and from what I had heard previously was that it was closer.

RayRay10 and Amiga like this.
  8. RayRay10

RayRay10 Houstonian

Hoping this works out. This would effectively weaken the dominance of the 2 party system, over time, and pull us back from the fringes.

Reeko, Nook and Blatz like this.
  9. T_Man

Yep...

Funny thing is when I was in Middle school and High School... That is how the elections/votes were done... Everybody who was running for what ever had their name on the ballot...

T_Man

10. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Very interesting, @T_Man. Thanks for posting it. I’ll be watching to see how this works. Senator Murkowski appears to have represented her state well. We’ll see how that’s reflected in the election with this new system.

My personal preference would be making voting and registering to vote in this country as easy as possible, with a national holiday for congressional and presidential elections. There is no logical reason, since there is no credible evidence of voter fraud of any significance, for not allowing widespread voting by mail, drive by voting, as well as being able to register to vote at any time during the year up until a few days before an election. In short, instead of the arcane efforts of the Republican Party to prevent voting, make voting as easy as possible for all parties.

I would also like to see real reform making redistricting as fair and non-partisan as possible. With modern technology married to highly sophisticated software, drawing districts that marginalize entire ethnic groups and, among other things, enable political parties with a minority of the total vote to dominate state legislatures, we have seen “small d” democratic representation warped to such an extent that it is barely worthy of the name, in my opinion.

11. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

RCV and eliminating closed primaries are pretty much the only way for America to get its **** back together. Glad Alaska is leading the way.

12. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I hope it's helpful too. But I don't think we'll break the duopoly so long as we have winner-take-all elections. And, even if we broke the duopoly, politics will still always be politics.

13. adoo

adoo Member

One purpose of the system, approved by voters in 2020, was to weed out extremists by making it harder for candidates to be elected simply by appealing to the hard-liners of their party’s base.

It worked splendidly.

the effort to promote consensus and elevate a less performative, more problem-solving approach to politics sets a good example.

More places should try it.

mdrowe00 likes this.