1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Airport security is a joke at Logan...

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by haven, Sep 12, 2001.

1. haven

haven Member

The Boston Globe and Channel 7 have reported:

1. One terrorist bought his one-way ticket in cash. This is ALWAYS supposed to set off warning signs and inquiries. Nobody made these.

2. Two of the people were KNOWN TERRORISTS and were noted on all the lists. Yet they presumably used their REAL NAMES and were allowed on planes.

Things have got to improve. Logan airport was rated one of the worst security airports in the US in 1999. Their management responded that "security was good enough" and there wasn't "much they could do" at such a cosmopolitan airport.

What the hell? How about checking passengers names for terrorists and making sure your employees follow routine procedure.

Frickin' idiots. Makes me so angry that all this could have been prevented if some employee had done their job.

2. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

You wait long enough cracks will appear . Airport Security has always been a pain in the neck to me , but it is unquestionably neccesary when you see a nation wide tragedy such as this one .

3. mrpaige

mrpaige Contributing Member

I see these instances of terrorists pretty easily taking control of several airplanes, and I'm reminded of when my younger son was not allowed to take his SuperSoaker water gun onto the airplane from Amarillo to Dallas (the SuperSoaker is not exactly very "gun" looking). The security wouldn't even allow my ex-wife to come back and get the watergun on her way out. They insisted on confiscating it.

And my older son was stopped by security at Love Field and his backpack was subjected to the bomb sniffing machine (I assume they were testing this thing because I had not seen it before. They took a swab from the backpack and put it in some machine that gave some sort of chemical analysis, I assume).

My son passed, and it really wasn't a big deal. I didn't mind taking the time to be subjected to these slight delays (the watergun thing was a little silly, but then again, I wouldn't have tried to carry-on a watergun, either. That was my ex-wife's doing. But they could've given her the watergun out on her way out of the airport).

But it gets me that we take the time to subject 10 year-olds and 6 year-olds to such stringent security all the while letting terrorists on board with weapons (the fact that knives are legal on planes amazes me, really) that allow them to hijack planes and run them into highly occupied buildings.

If they're going to take the time to check my kids so stringently, I wish they would take the time to check everybody else just as stringently and actually make an effort to maybe keep the actual dangers off the airplanes.

4. ROCKSS

ROCKSS Contributing Member

1. One terrorist bought his one-way ticket in cash. This is ALWAYS supposed to set off warning signs and inquiries. Nobody made these

haven- I didnt know this was a warning sign to a ticket agent. Is the fact that he paid cash or that he bought a one-way ticket and payed with cash.........not doubting you, I had just never heard this before.

5. ROCKSS

ABCNEWS has learned that officials have identified all the hijackers, and estimated there were three to five for each of the four passenger planes involved. At least two of the hijackers were on the Immigration and Naturalization Service "watch list," and it's still unclear whether the individuals entered the United States illegally or whether they entered before their names were placed on the list.

Most if not all of the hijackers were Egyptian or Saudi nationals, sources said

6. gr8-1

gr8-1 Contributing Member

I had heard on NBC (?) taht they got their training from Huffman Aviation in Florida. I don't know if they checked if they were legal, but to me, that sounds as if they were. Thus, the hijackers may have been foreign nationals or even students.

BTW, anyone think it's possible that someone that works at the station helped them out?

7. ROCKSS

gr8-1 It seems to me that they had to have inside help from a worker/s @ the airport. Not sure if you caught 20\20 last night but they showed an old report where they tried to get jobs at the airport and had no problem doing so and then filmed themselves walking through planes with no supervision and noone checking on them.

8. gr8-1

gr8-1 Contributing Member

Who would help them? Not to sound racist, but do alot of Middle- Easterners work at airports?