1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Agreement on trade parameters with a team for Henson

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Da Man, Feb 18, 2004.

1. Da Man

Da Man Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

With a team ALREADY agreeing to the Texans' parameters for a possible trade, I feel pretty confident we are getting a 1st rounder in this years draft. Very Nice!

http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/ssistory.mpl/sports/2407324

Terms on Henson draw NFL interest

Texans' needs at DB could figure in mix

The Drew Henson saga is a puzzle that will include many pieces before the final picture comes into focus. The first one was put into place Tuesday when Texans general manager Charley Casserly said one team has agreed to the Texans' parameters for a possible trade.

But this is just the beginning of the process. Several teams have expressed interest in the 24-year-old quarterback, whom the Texans took in the sixth round of last year's draft with the intent of trading him. Casserly and Tom Condon, Henson's agent, will meet with several teams this week at the scouting combine in Indianapolis, and some of those teams are expected to accept the Texans' trade parameters as well.

Casserly declined to identify the team that has accepted the terms or exactly what the Texans are seeking for Henson, who spent the past two years playing baseball in the New York Yankees organization.

Henson will be allowed to visit with the team that has met the Texans' initial asking price, but it's uncertain when that will take place. Teams seeking access to Henson must agree to the trade parameters.

It's unlikely discussions will heat up until after the combine because most teams want to compare Henson's workout with those of the top quarterbacks on display in Indianapolis this week. If the Texans can work out a deal with a team for which Henson is willing to play, a trade will be completed. If not, Henson will go back into the draft, although that scenario is unlikely.

Buffalo, Green Bay, Kansas City and Miami are believed to be the teams most interested in trading for Henson.

The Texans have been linked to the speculation surrounding four-time Pro Bowl cornerback Champ Bailey, whom the Washington Redskins have given permission to seek a trade. Bailey, a pending free agent, is not close on terms of a long-term contract with the Redskins, who would have to guarantee him $6.8 million for one season to keep him using a franchise designation.

It's possible the Redskins' stance on Bailey could be a negotiating ploy, considering teams generally aren't eager to lose 25-year-old shutdown corners. The expected compensation -- draft picks to the Redskins and big-time money to the player -- would seem to make Bailey a long shot for the Texans.

Adding a starting-caliber free safety seems the most likely route for the Texans, but it's not out of the question that cornerback Marcus Coleman could be moved to free safety if the Texans can acquire a top-notch cornerback. Coleman played safety at Texas Tech.

2. Remix

Remix Member

This isnt making any sence, why would the Redskins make a trade for Henson when they have a young Jack Ramsey. Have they given up on him already?

3. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Not the Dr?!?!?!?!? :eek: :D

It's Patrick, btw.

4. tierre_brown

tierre_brown Contributing Member

Patrick Ramsey is injury prone, from what I've been able to gather. I really doubt he's going to be a Redskin, but it would be nice to get a 1st rounder or a DB and a 2nd rounder from any of the 4 other teams interested in him. Just glad that it looks like he won't enter the draft.

5. Dream34

Dream34 Contributing Member

The Redskins are not interested in Drew Henson. They are on the verge of signing Mark Brunell.

Henson is probably going to one of teams mentioned in the above article.

This is a huge win for the Texans if some team has agreed to their trade parameters. :cool:

6. VesceySux

VesceySux Contributing Member

I hear this mystery team is Green Bay (from a friend of a friend of a friend of a friend). Wouldn't surprise me in the least, IMO.

I'm just hoping another team jumps in the bidding to jack up the going price.

7. mateo

mateo Contributing Member

I would be happy with the #25 pick in the draft. (Green Bay's pick)

8. Beck

Beck Contributing Member

Is a first-round pick a possibility? Here in Pittsburgh, everyone is all about trading for Henson, and John Clayton was on the radio the other day saying that the Texans will probably end up with a 2nd round pick from someone, probably not the Steelers. :(

9. HAYJON02

HAYJON02 Contributing Member

Wow. Great foresight by the Texans front office. I'm just not used to this kind of performance. Amazing.

10. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

seriously...how freaking gutsy was this? they took heat the day of the draft from fans...but they just converted a 6th round pick into what will likely be a 2nd round draft choice. that's freaking amazing, considering all the circumstances.

11. Yao Wink

Yao Wink Member

Draft day heat for picking Henson? I thought it was the 3rd round pick of Ragone that was a puzzler. From draft day on Casserly said that Henson was a calculated risk pick that, in the 6th round, most picks don't turn out to be players anyway.

12. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

i heard criticism of it...i heard more criticism of the ragone thing...but i remember people saying that this was a waste entirely of a pick since everyone was so sure that henson would stick with baseball.

13. mateo

I would be happy if I didnt have to hear Rangone for a few more months. Ugh.

14. rrj_gamz

rrj_gamz Contributing Member

This is awesome...I still don't know about Ragone...I think we're stuck like Chuck...

15. gunn

gunn Contributing Member

ESPN reported that the Dolphins have agreed with the Texans requirements of a high draft pick in return for Henson. Miami has the 20th selection in the draft. This is not a finalized deal but just an agreement with the Texans trade requests. Henson cannot be traded until March 3rd, and with the scouting combine going on I would expect that his stock could rise further.

16. Rocket Fan

Rocket Fan Member

if the pick miami has supposedly agreed to is the 20th pick.(maybe its the 2nd rounder instead?).... wow I wonder if that could cause another team to offer even higher.... but I guess it doesnt really matter because drew can pretty much go to whichever teams meet our criteria.. once they meet our criteria I guess its more a matter of impressing drew.. not us..

17. mateo

Sorta makes sense....if Rivers impresses the scouts at the combine then you could see him go to Buffalo or Pittsburgh at 13 or 15, leaving no QB for the Dolphins at 20.

18. Beck

Beck Contributing Member

The Steelers love Rivers, but I don't think they would take him at 11. If Miami trades the 20th pick for Henson, I think the Steelers will be trying to work something for Ramsey involving their second round pick and maybe a future pick.

19. Yao Wink

Yao Wink Member

Why is Washington going to trade Patrick Ramsey? Yeah, they are trying to get Brunell, but Ramsey is the future. It would make little to no sense to trade Ramsey when he can stay in Washington and learn from a proven vet like Brunell.

20. Beck

Beck Contributing Member

#20 Beck, Feb 19, 2004
    Last edited: Feb 19, 2004