1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

AG nominee William Barr: Mueller Report confidential by law and will NOT be released

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by MojoMan, Jan 16, 2019.

1. MojoMan

MojoMan Member

The big takeaway from yesterday's confirmation hearings for Attorney General nominee William Barr was the disclosure that by law the final report by the Special Counsel is confidential. It cannot and will not be released.

However, it is the responsibility of the Attorney General under the procedures for the DOJ's Office of Special Counsel to summarize the findings of the Special Counsel and provide a report of that to the Congress and to the public. Barr made it clear that he wanted to release as much information from Bob Mueller's Special Counsel report as he could, as in his view it was time to get everything out there so we can move on.

For those of you who missed the hearings, here is the report from the Washington Post:

William Barr’s big caveat on publicly releasing the Mueller report

President Trump’s attorney general nominee, William P. Barr, made two things abundantly clear Tuesday: He would release a summary of the Russia report “consistent with the law,” and he is really good friends with special counsel Robert S. Mueller III.

“I don’t know what, at the end of the day, what will be release-able,” Barr told Sen. Mazie Hirono (D-Hawaii) of Mueller’s report, saying it would be confidential and the attorney general would be responsible for putting out “certain information upon the conclusion of the investigation.”

“It is very important that the public and Congress be informed of the results of the special counsel’s work,” Barr said in his opening statement to the Senate Judiciary Committee. “My goal will be to provide as much transparency as I can consistent with the law.”

{More at the link}​

Senate Democrats were apparently caught flat-footed by this revelation, as they clearly were unfamiliar with the procedures for the DOJ's Office of Special Counsel and its legal requirements, which were adopted during the Clinton administration in the aftermath of the Ken Star Independent Counsel investigation of President Clinton.

It seems that Senate Democrats were for some reason actually expecting the confidential Mueller Report document to be released directly to the public, or at least to be provided to them, so they could leak it to the press later. But that is against the procedures for the DOJ's Office of Special Counsel, which were adopted by the DOJ under President Clinton.

While I do expect AG Barr to release as much information as he can, I also expect that anything included in the report along the lines of 'We looked into such and such and it seemed fishy, and we were troubled but in fact there is no evidence, blah, blah, blah' can reasonably be expected to be left out of the final AG's report.

And if Barr were to leave out any major findings backed up by evidence that demonstrated that Donald Trump conspired together with the Russians to steal the 2016 presidential election from Hillary Clinton, that would be truly scandalous and improper, and would in my opinion support Barr's removal from office, and if the law provides for it, worse.

2. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Well that seems like a pretty problematic caveat. I didn't think it too likely that the report would be immediately published, but I did assume it would be provided to Congress. If instead Congress get's Barr's summary, he's going to have a very big credibility problem -- half of Congress and half the country would be left wondering what information was suppressed and what spin was applied. It'd be an uproar. And, given that these are agency rules and not legislation, there is latitude to change the rules and share with Congress. That they don't do so will be seen as suppressing the investigation's findings.

And how would people find out if Barr neglected major findings if they don't have access to the report?

Invisible Fan, joshuaao and Deckard like this.
  3. MojoMan

MojoMan Member

That is a good question and I for one would like there to be some sort of check on this. I am pretty confident that William Barr would like that as well, as he is not going to try to pull anything on this and he does not want to go around with people indiscriminately and wrongly accusing him of doing so.

4. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

The report will be made public, in one form or another, that's pretty much guaranteed.

5. MojoMan

MojoMan Member

Whoever makes it public will be violating the law and will be at serious risk of being put in prison, as the report is confidential.

6. larsv8

Incorrect

7. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

Trump's lawyers want to review and edit Mueller's report before it's out. William Barr said there's no way he'll allow that.
    but...Barr left the door open for Trump's lawyers to object to the report's release based on claims of executive privilege.
    https://www.businessinsider.com/william-barr-trump-mueller-report-confirmation-review-edit-2019-1

8. MojoMan

MojoMan Member

What exactly is incorrect? What are you talking about?

9. larsv8

10. MojoMan

MojoMan Member

Trump's lawyers may get the opportunity to review and edit AG Barr's report about the Special Counsel's report. But I suspect not.

The Special Counsel's report is confidential by law and cannot be published. However the regulations do give the AG some discretion to be able to publish information from the Special Counsel's report in the report that he prepares and provides to both Congress and to the public.

11. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

Good to know that there is bar too low for Barr.

peleincubus likes this.
  12. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

Mueller when done will certainly go before a House committee and publicly explain his investigation. Confidential findings will not be made public but will be covered in a non-public setting.

13. MojoMan

MojoMan Member

Cool. I will look forward to watching that.

14. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Not a lawyer, but the law seems to indicate it is at the AG's discretion.

15. MojoMan

MojoMan Member

Barr explained this repeatedly and in quite a bit of detail during his hearings yesterday. The Special Counsel report is classified, but much of the information in the report will be releasable within the context of the final report on the Special Counsel investigation prepared by the AG.

AG nominee Barr pledged to release all of the information that he could about the Special Counsel's findings, as he believes that sunlight is the best disinfectant, and that we need to be as transparent about all of this as possible in order for the country to be able to move on.

16. JuanValdez

Well I don't know if his intentions are good or bad. He is a pro and I assume he will do things by the book and keep himself within the law. That doesn't mean he won't try to steer the national debate with his control of information, which would be within the law. Denying the report to Congress would in my view at least be an appearance of impropriety, which should be avoided. So he should find a way to deliver it or it will be very reasonable for people to be suspicious of him and of Trump.

You keep saying this, but according to your OP, it is not a legal requirement but a procedural requirement. A legal requirement could only be changed by legislation from Congress, which is a pretty big lift. You have to get the mutual agreement of a couple coequal bases of power. A procedural requirement just needs a rulesmaking, which is easier if the Administration has the will. If there is a refusal to release the report, it is at the sole discretion of the Administration, and there isn't any opportunity to blame anyone else for not negotiating in good faith. Will Barr lift a finger to adjust the rules to allow him to deliver the report to Congress? Will Trump? If they won't do what it takes to be transparent with Congress, should they be tolerated any longer?

17. MojoMan

MojoMan Member

It sounds like you are suggesting changing the rules in the middle of an investigation, for that investigation. Barr is not going to do that. He did not make these rules and he surely will not change them for application to a specific, currently ongoing investigation.

18. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

19. JuanValdez

I don't see any problem with changing disclosure rules in the middle of an investigation. Special investigations are special. So it wouldn't be a surprise that rules need to be customized to the situation. In my view, denying this report to Congress would impede them in their oversight duties and wouldn't be acceptable. If he is a man of good faith as you allege, he would find a way to deliver the report. If he won't find a way, it tells me he is not a man of good faith. I will not be placated by any argument that says essentially, "well thems the rules!" Rules are important, but we're talking about the guys at the pinnacle of power where the the atmosphere of rules is very thin and malleable. Which way they choose to bend them speaks volumes about their intentions.

Deckard likes this.
  20. pirc1

pirc1 Contributing Member

if the report is not made public, expect some kind of leak to happen, one way or another, the report will be made public