1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

After Scola's torrid start, Rockets lose patience

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by bob718, Apr 29, 2009.

1. bob718

bob718 Contributing Member

http://blog.oregonlive.com/behindblazersbeat/2009/04/after_scolas_torrid_start_rock.html

Luis Scola took on Yao Ming's role Tuesday night, becoming the Houston player who seemingly couldn't miss a shot.

Scola was making perimeter shots and scoring in the post area, having his way with LaMarcus Aldridge in the first Quarter of Game 5. But the Rockets abandoned Scola in the second half, grew impatient and allowed the Blazers to go on a game-changing run in the fourth quarter.

Now, the Rockets must regroup for Game 6 in Houston.

"I was just disappointed with the way we played in the fourth quarter," Houston coach Rick Adelman said. "We just didn't play with the confidence and composure that you need to play with in the fourth quarter of a game."

The Blazers decided to focus on Yao and leave Scola open early in the game. The second-year forward from Argentina was happy to take advantage, making seven of nine shots in the quarter and scoring 15 points.

"He got a lot of stuff because of what they were trying to do with Yao. He got a lot of open looks because they were concentrating on (Yao) so much," Adelman said. "But we certainly didn't make enough adjustments."

Scola made seven consecutive shots, most of them jump shots from the left or right corners of the free throw line, to start the game. Scola's scoring helped the Rockets stay close in the quarter. Scola finished the first half with 17 points, but scored just four points in the second half. Scola took two shots in the second half, making both.

"In the first half, I had a lot of opportunities," said Scola, who made 10 of 13 shots in the game. "In the second half, the game went the other way."

Yao went 6 of 8 in the second and third quarters, despite pressure from Joel Przybilla and Greg Oden. But the Rockets, who have had trouble getting the ball to Yao when dealing with a fronting defense throughout the series, started getting antsy. They resorted to taking more perimeter shots and their offense stalled in the fourth quarter.

Aaron Brooks, Von Wafer and Ron Artest combined to make four of 13 shots in the quarter.

"You've got to play with some composure -- we didn't do that. We got into a more frenzied pace ourselves and we were impatient," Adelman said. "We have got to have more control and more patience than we showed (Tuesday)."

The Rockets led 68-64 after Wafer made a 20-foot jumper with 9:34 in the game but were outscored 15-0 in the next four minutes. The Rockets' scored a total of 15 points, their lowest fourth-quarter total of the series. They made 7 of 20 shots (35 percent) in the quarter.

"The third quarter we played good," Yao said. "Then it was like we ran out of gas."

Yao was clearly upset with the Rockets' offensive breakdowns in the fourth quarter.

"I was just running. I run baseline to baseline. For about seven or eight times," Yao said. "We didn't organize well. We didn't execute. We didn't know the play (or) what was called."

The Rockets committed a bunch of fouls early in the fourth quarter, putting the Blazers in the penalty with nearly eight minutes remaining in the quarter. The Blazers shot 12 free throws, making 10, while the Rockets didn't shoot a free throw in the fourth quarter.

"We made some silly fouls at the start of the fourth quarter," Adelman said. "They were in the penalty with what -- eight minutes -- to go in the fourth quarter. You can't do that."

The Rockets' late-game issues surfaced again, as they failed to close out the Blazers and gave them another chance. Fortunately for the Rockets, Game 6 is at the Toyota Center in Houston on Thursday.

"Our offense was fine when we played at home. It was less than stellar (Tuesday night)," forward Shane Battier said. "We'll play better at home."

2. professorjay

professorjay Contributing Member

This sums up the night perfectly, reported by an Oregonian blog no less.

No composure. We looked like the young, inexperienced team at the end and quit on the most effective player the entire game - Scola.

3. bjshot

bjshot Member

It's not first time. Think about Last game with lakers. Yao/Scola made like 20 goals of 25 shots. But they stopped to give them ball and 10+ points erased in minutes.

4. bjshot

bjshot Member

yao need to talk to coach RA/

5. Shaud

Shaud Member

Yao has said this a few times.

In the playoffs and still a problem. Not running plays at all or not running the plays that are called.

Unbelievable

6. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I agree we lost composure but one big reason why Scola didn't get the ball so much later in the game was foul trouble.

7. duluth111222

duluth111222 I.D.I.O.T

what the fock are the timeouts for? if you think the players are out of control and impatient, call them out and point it out. if that doesn't change, sit their ass on teh bench.

I'm fed up with the player's coach approach, a.k.a, Sit There and Do Nothing approach.

8. real_egal

real_egal Contributing Member

It has nothing to do with foul trouble. Scola wasn't fouled out even at the end. After hitting 7-9 in the first quarter, they managed to give him 2 shots in the second quarter, and 2 shots in the whole second half, while opponent focusing on Yao. That's just a typical Rockets game - never feed the hot hand. You got yours, it's my turn now.

Then you have posters finding all kinds of excuses for AB not running any plays. There was lengthy discussion about how Rockets never tried even one lob pass to Yao in game 2 and 3, because he has the worst hands, turnover-prone blah blah. Well, they lobbed to him twice last night, he caught both, resulted in an and1 3 point play and a dunk. People are still arguing how a jacked up shot is better than a potential turnover. From game 1 to game 4, Yao made 3 out of 5 pick and pop jumpers. People were still saying his percentage is low for that shot. Well, he was 2 out of 3 last night again. I guess to some, AB's jacking up is still better, coz he's supposed to be a "shooter".

Discipline, is what this team is lacking. That's why I was very upset that JVG was let go the first place. With a lot more talent, comparing to JVG's years, we are going to advance to the next round this time, that I am confident of. However, the same problem displayed in every single game, especially under AB's reign is just sickening to watch. We all know the fact that AB is inexperienced, streaky shooter, short, no defense, very poor in decision-making, but we are putting this playoff team in his hands, to develop him.

9. NBAlover

NBAlover Member

exactly what i want to say. our coach always blame others not himself. i never heard he said that's his fault.

from what Yao have said""I was just running. I run baseline to baseline. For about seven or eight times," Yao said. "We didn't organize well. We didn't execute. We didn't know the play (or) what was called." it's obvious our PG's fault. i am tired of saying AB and Ron.

10. NBAlover

NBAlover Member

our front players (aka, brooks, ron) just don't want our post players to score too much, otherwise, in comparison, front players are too bad, so they dribble and shoot by themselves instead of passing ball inside. and front players are fighting for stats to get a decent contract.

11. NBAlover

NBAlover Member

well said dude, that's why i always say it's our coach's fault. it's natural for players to get their own points especially for them who are going to resign a contract. so the situation really depends on coach to control players.

12. DaFranchise03

DaFranchise03 Member

Exactly

I dont get how people are still blaming Yao.

I also agree with duluth111222. Being a players coach is fine for smart teams. Rockets are filled with close minded idiots.

13. choujie

choujie Member

Scola got it going early, so Portland had to play him more closely, that's why Scola didn't get more shots.

But at the same time, Yao had more room to opertate, so he got his shots in 2nd and 3rd quarter.

But in 4th quarter, it's all guards show. Wafer, Artest, Brooks, you name it. They tried to take over the game.

14. Seth

Seth Member

If we are going to bet on our guards to do anything, we are doomed, i would go for a pick and roll with Wafer and Scola, two of the most mobile players on the team.

Brooks gets bloked half the times, and Artest loses the ball by his own half the times.

We know a pick n roll with Wafer will end in him shooting no matter what the defense gives him, but i prefer Wafer shooting than any other.

15. br0ken_shad0w

br0ken_shad0w Member

This x 100 times. We don't even have to replace the coach (since there's no way they'll dump Adelman), just get a good, experienced PG to direct the offense.

16. erclee

erclee Member

CREDITED!

17. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

Look, I'm disgusted with AB but I think we need to agree that it takes two to tango. I did see at least one lob to Yao that was stolen and went the other direction (1st quarter, maybe?). But that's probably the passer's fault, right?

Hey, maybe it was... but criticism for Yao isn't always just 'blah blah blah'.

18. tsunami

tsunami Member

I want to say the similar thing, but you said it better. Thanks.

19. real_egal

real_egal Contributing Member

Hope you are not really talking about that half court "lob" from Artest, right? If yes, you are seriously reaching. Tell you what, let's call that a lob, and let's make that Yao's fault. 2 catches out of 3, resulted in 5 points. Don't tell me that's not much much better than dribbling 15-20 seconds, wild shots get stuffed. 3 lob attempts, that's all for the 7'6 Chinese dude in 5 playoff games, because we are afraid it may lead to turnover, where we are confident that career 40% shooters will shoot the lights out by jacking up airballs.

You are absolutely right, criticism for Yao isn't always just blah blah. Let's not talk about great player, or super star, or franchise player, because that might offend someone here. Let's say Yao is a role player, on a starless team. He's the best role player on this team with his 7'6 size and 19-9, 55% and 86%. Can we make better use of him for the sake of team success, instead of having him running baseline to baseline, in vain, in 7-8 consecutive possessions?

20. TXRoxBBall

TXRoxBBall Member

Foul trouble has little to do with the offensive end. They went away from him because they stopped running the offense and started dribbling down the clock and taking stupid shots.