1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

After 13 years

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Spooner, Dec 6, 2015.

1. Spooner

Spooner Member

Anyone who thinks Brian Hoyer will lead ANY team to a Super Bowl might as well believe Santa Clause is real. Who here actually buys in to the myth propagated by the Texans organization that we have capable quarterbacks, year in and year out? I'm sick of being a fan for 13 years and having the worst quarterback in the league every single year. Don't believe me? Who else in the entire league would be benched for Ryan Mallet? We had Andre Johnson and we wasted his career because we had no one to pair him with. Ultimately he got pissed and left. I wonder why? Maybe because he's sick of dealing with David Carr, Matt Schaub, Rosencopter, Fitzpatrick. And then you ask him to stay around because oh, Brian Hoyer is coming he's a really great football player. We have the best defensive player of the generation in JJ Watt and we don't capitalize on it. Do you think he's going to stick around his whole career and wait for a quarterback? It's been 13 years and the organization seems to think the position isn't important. The only reason we had a chance today was because of heroics by Hopkins. Who else could make one handed grabs like that from balls thrown way, way too high from Hoyer? Our offense is completely stagnant without Hopkins. Look at the end of the game when we punted 6,000 times and never threw once to Hopkins if you need any help realizing that. Every year we get two promises from the Texans. 1. We have faith that our quarterback (whoever it may be, but most likely without fail, has done jack**** his entire career) can win. 2. We are actively looking for a franchise QB. It's been 13 years now and our expectations should by now go from franchise, to acceptable. When you don't see a real drop off from Hoyer to TJ Yates, there is a problem. How many more years are we going to take this? If they haven't been able to get a quarterback for well over a decade, why would ANYONE assume that changes anytime soon. Empty words from frankly, an irrelevant football team.

2. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

LOL........Brian Hoyer didnt lose this game. The defense did with blown coverages, piss poor run defense, and the lack of adjustments in the FIRST half.

3. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

We've religiously avoided the position in the draft. I'm not upset with the QB play because I really don't expect anything from it. I've actually been impressed with Hoyer for the most part given his history, but obviously it'll never be enough to take us anywhere meaningful.

4. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

Stopped reading there.

Who the **** actually thinks that?

5. roxallways

roxallways Member
    Supporting Member

O'brien will stick with Hoyer to the bitter end because he feels guilty he flip-flopped earlier in the year with the QB position but I trust Yates more then Hoyer. Yates makes bigger plays and utilizes their best play maker. It does suck to have this situation at the QB situation and not feel you really have a legit shot to do anything. Defense has to play at historic level with the current situation at QB.

6. Coach AI

Coach AI Contributing Member

After the crap that was the first few games of this season, Hoyer's done a far more admirable job than anyone could have anticipated.

But he's still nothing more than, at his best, a barely average NFL QB.

I'm not really sure who you've been talking to that thought Hoyer was going to lead the team to a Super Bowl.

7. Spooner

Spooner Member

The point of putting a team on the field is to win. I never expected hoyer to lead the team anywhere just like the rest of you. I also agree that hoyer has somewhat exceeded my expectations, but honestly at this juncture, who really cares? He's still not very good and that's no mystery. I'm merely commenting on the fact that we haven't had a legitimate quarterback since the beggining of the franchise. On top of that in many seasons we've fielded the worst QB in the league. How long are people going to accept this? The point of my post was to bring light to the fact that we've had to put up with subpar QB play for 13 years now

8. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

This game had nothing to do with the many stupid penalties and the inability of the defense to stop the run in the first half. It was all Brian Hoyer's fault.

:rolleyes:

9. Coach AI

Coach AI Contributing Member

I think most fans recognize that.

(though I won't deny there are some fans, be it with Carr or Schaub or Hoyer or whoever, who are really stubborn when it comes to admitting the obvious shortcomings of starting Texans QBs and ride it out defending to the bitter end. So perhaps that's what you're talking about?)

But yeah I think most people know it's been ****. Though, as far as how long are people going to accept it? Well...you did come back for Year 13 too, right? ;)

10. Spooner

Spooner Member

Like most of you, I will be a fan until the day I die. Having said that, the most we can do is rant on message boards.

11. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

It wasn't Hoyer's fault that the Texans lost the game, it's ridiculous to think that he'd be a good enough QB to bail the Texans out like that. The defense has to be stellar all game long for the Texans to have a chance with Hoyer at QB and they simply weren't that good today.

12. roxallways

roxallways Member
    Supporting Member

A lot of dumb penalties and the defense slipped up today no doubt, but the defense is the main reason this team is in position to still feel like they can make playoffs. It was time for the offense to pick up the slack today and they couldn't do it. Hoyer and QBs like him can't be expected to go out and win a game for you. Today's game was a reminder of that. That's the frustrating part. To be sucked in and get excited about the team only to be reminded that they're just not good enough at the most important position on the field.

13. Marteen

Marteen Member

14. bloodwings19

bloodwings19 Member

Schaub 124 TD, 78 Int as Texans which is why we didn't draft a QB for 7 seasons. What is frustrating to me is having too much class not to sign Ray Rice, or Greg Hardy. Jerry Jones controls the Cowboys and a lot of influence on NFL committees, yet he signs him. if Adrian Hernandez wasn't in jail, I believe Patriots would be using him.

15. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

Funny how the Texans D was itself when John Simon got benched.

He should be cut. Can't have a guy out there like that who can't tackle.

16. Newlin

Newlin Member

Actually, Schaub was not a subpar NFL QB for a couple of years. He even went to the Pro Bowl, remember?

However, I do agree that the QB play has not been good for most of the Texans history. I am frustrated that the Texans have refused to draft a QB in the first two rounds of the draft when they could have.

17. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

It's funny. We say that about Hoyer. We said that about Fitzpatrick. We've said that about other QB's as well, I'm sure. It's always a matter of just being happy the QB not being a total disaster like expected. When are we ever going to actually try to find an actual solution?

18. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

If you look at who the Texans were in a position to draft, there really haven't been many QBs to take. Most of the time, all the QBs who ever did anything in the league were taken before the Texans even picked. Since 2006, the only QB worth a damn that the Texans were in a position to take and didn't was Russell Wilson. We could've had Kaepernick or Dalton in 2011 but at the expense of JJ Watt. Time will tell on the 2014 draft. But complaining that the Texans religiously avoid the position is basically complaining that the Texans didn't draft Brady Quinn or Tim Tebow or Geno Smith.

19. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Glad we fired Kubiak and kept Rick Smith

20. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

Right now I have Hoyer rated above the following QB's. So not worst IMO.

Dallas Matt Cassell
    Jets Ryan Fitzpatrick
    Ravens Matt Schaub
    Browns Austin Davis
    Colts Matt Hasselback
    Vikings Bridgewater
    Rams Foles
    49ers Gabbert