1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Advice/Suggestions] First Time Cruise

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Turbo, Aug 28, 2007.

Tags:
  1. Turbo

Turbo Contributing Member

What's up everybody?

So I'm set to depart for my first cruise (well as an adult anyway) on Sept. 9th on the Carnival Conquest out of Galveston. I was just wondering if anyone has any suggestions or advice for a first-time cruiser, such as myself. We'll be stopping in Jamaica (Montego Bay), Grand Cayman, & Cozumel. Does anyone have experience in taking a cruise to these destinations? If so, what should we be looking to do? (And when I say we, I mean my wife and I)

Anyway, any input would be greatly appreciated, as I am completely in the dark as to what to expect.

2. swilkins

swilkins Contributing Member

Rent a jeep and circle around Cozumel. You'll find some very neat secluded places to drink for pretty cheap.

At Grand Cayman, swim with the Sting Rays.

3. StupidMoniker

StupidMoniker I lost a bet

[​IMG]
    Bonzer idea mate.

4. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

Try not to touch too many things on board the ship. You could become violently ill and squirt liquid out of your caboose for the rest of the cruise.

I think I might consider wearing gloves if I were you. lol

5. mr_gootan

mr_gootan Member

Have enough CASH at the end of your cruise to be able to tip your room guy, waiter, and chef because they don't take credit cards or checks. If you don't, they put a voodoo curse on you.

6. tulexan

tulexan Member

Usually everything goes through your room account and no cash or credit cards are accepted.

7. huypham

huypham Contributing Member

actually you can use your CCs to tip now (i went to cozumel a few months back). but it is best to use cash anyhow so that you avoid the lines.

no real tips on my part - just do whatever is the most fun for you.

8. tulexan

tulexan Member

I'd watch out because a lot of times with bills they already add auto-grat, so make sure you don't double tip.

9. wesnesked

wesnesked Contributing Member

Take your own alcohol!..its the biggest rip-off on the boat. Put your vodka or your rum in a plastic bottle and make your own drinks with the cokes they put in your room.

10. candycane

candycane Contributing Member

In Grand Cayman, rent a scooter and go to HELL. Seriously, it is a little town with a post office where you can send post cards to your friends back home. Pretty neat.

11. BetterThanI

BetterThanI Contributing Member

Haven't been on a Carnival cruise in many years (I usually go Princess), but when I did, it was a total booze cruise. Be prepared to spend most of your time either drunk (a good thing) or fighting off drunks (not so good).

Beyond that, I've found Grand Cayman to be beautiful, but VERY expensive compared to other Caribbean destinations, so if you're big shopper, you might want to shop at Cozumel instead. Jamaica is great, just stick to the tourist stuff (parts of Jamaica can be downright dangerous to travel in if you're American).

Oh, and try to lose 10 pounds before you go, because you'll gain it all back on the boat. ;)

12. Harrisment

Harrisment Member

I just went on this same cruise last month! It was my 7th cruise overall, and was probably the most fun I've had.

As others have said take your own alcohol with you on the ship. They say it's not allowed, but we do it every cruise and I've never heard of anyone having it confiscated. Just stuff a couple bottles of your favorite liquor in your suitcase and wrap it up in some towels. You can buy plastic cups in the gift shop on the ship, which you can use to pour your drinks in all week. Also - Bring your own sodas / mixers! This is actually allowed, though most people don't know it. I always walk on board with a 12 pack of cokes in my hand, as does everyone else I cruise with.

Now, as for the ports. When we went to Jamaica we did the Jimmy Buffet catamaran thing. It was a lot of fun. You get to snorkel for a while, then get dropped off at Margaritaville where you can hang out for a while, or take the catamaran back after about 30 minutes. We decided to hang there and just took a cab back to the ship. They have an awesome water slide there, so check it out.

In Grand Cayman me and my guest just hung out and had lunch, checked out the shops, etc. But the rest of my family did the Stingray tour and said it was well worth the money and a lot of fun. You might want to check that out.

In Cozumel, it's easy. Cozumel has always been my favorite port to visit. Go to Carlos and Charlies, you can actually walk there because the ship docks right near it now. It's a restaurant that gets really wild and is tons of fun. Go in there and ask for Kiwi, he's great. Whatever you do don't miss this place!

Ok I think thats about it. If you have anymore questions lemme know!

13. finalsbound

finalsbound Contributing Member

I went on a Royal Caribbean cruise to Caymen, Jamaica, and Cozumel 2 years ago. One of my favorite memories is swimming with the manna rays in Caymen. The beach and water in Caymen and Jamaica were the cleanest and clearest I've ever seen...better even than Kauai, which I didn't think could be topped. Another highlight of the trip was climbing the water fall in Ochos Rios, Jamaica. If you can make it over there do, its one awesome experience.