1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Advice] Garmin or TomTom

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by askball, Nov 27, 2008.

1. askball

askball Member

I'm thinking about investing in a portable navigation system. My dad has a Garmin and I've really enjoyed using it when he lets me. I know a girl who has a TomTom and she swears it's the best available in the market.

I'm just wondering if anyone here has a strong opinion either way. I know Yao did a commercial for Garmin a while back so it must be a good product. ;)

2. kona-

kona- Member

Garmin, I trust it when I fly airplanes and drive.

#1 is Garmin.

3. big11

big11 Contributing Member

I have a nuvi and enjoy using it. One thing I really like is its rerouting capability, it's pretty fast. On the other hand, I found garmin seems to a little slow to update their map. Check out cnet.com for some comparision work among different GPSs.

4. OGKashMoney

OGKashMoney Member

I use Nav N Go's IGo8 on my Att Tilt and I love it. Haven't had any problems and maps are very good.

5. aeroman10

aeroman10 Contributing Member

TomTom sucks. My dad got one of these TomTom One 125 devices that all stores have on sale now for $99 and it sucked. I made him return it the next day. Forget the fact that the device and software sucked but we could not even update it. First the TomTom servers were down and then when they came back up we could not download the updates due to some "Forbidden" error.

I have a Navigon 2100 GPS and my brother has one also.
    This is the best GPS unit I have ever used. The company is good. Good support and updates.

6. v3.0

v3.0 Contributing Member

Garmin Nuvi ftw. The 800 series are voice activated for hands free navigation while driving.