1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Adrian Peterson indicted for child abuse

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by J.R., Sep 12, 2014.

1. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

If that was all there was he probably very well could've gotten off and my own feeling is that Petersen would rather be vindicated than having to plead no contest even to a rather soft plea deal. The problem though was that this was mostly going to be a trial around character and that case became harder to win once stories about AP using his foundation for orgies and drug use were coming out.

I have a hard time believing that he accepts this deal unless Hardin felt there was a likelihood of losing.

2. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

A Grand Jury in Montgomery County indicted him.

3. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

He is losing millions in incentives and he is trying to make the hall of fame. Sitting out games hurts his current money, his legacy and his future contract much more than a misdemeanor and community service.

4. Icehouse

Icehouse Contributing Member

It was still in Texas. Trust me, there are parents who spank their kids in The Woodlands.

I told y'all Hardin gets folks off.

5. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

His legacy is already tarnished and pleading no contest doesn't help him. While he got a soft deal. This will be recorded as that he was guilty of assault. I don't think this deal get's made unless they felt that going to trial might turnout worse.

As far as his incentives and games I still doubt that he plays this season. I don't think Goodell or the Vikings want the controversy of seeing Petersen back on out on the field this season.

6. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

How many spank them to the extent they have multiple open wounds over multiple parts of their body including the scrotum?

7. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

He is still guilty of assault. Hardin got him down to a lesser charge and a good deal but he didn't get him off.

Unless there was something non-legal involved. ;)

8. Major

Major Member

I'm not sure this is correct. Part of the deal was not having a finding of guilt:

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/1...r-charge-felony-child-abuse-charge-avoid-jail

Under the agreement approved by Montgomery County state District Judge Kelly Case and announced during a scheduled court hearing, Peterson pleaded no contest to a misdemeanor charge of reckless assault.

Case deferred a finding of guilt for two years while imposing a $4,000 fine and 80 hours of community service on Peterson.

I assume there's no reason to defer that unless there's a reasonable chance that he'll never be officially found "guilty" of anything.

9. Major

Major Member

I also think the league is preparing to welcome him back. Players said they'd love him back. Coaches vouched for him. NFLPA sounds like they expect him to be reinstated, meaning they'd likely fight if not. And he's already missed 9 games, which could be reasonably considered significant punishment. I suspect he'll be back in the NFL and with the Vikings within a few weeks.

10. Nook

Nook Member

The criteria for a grand jury is different.

11. Icehouse

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that The Woodlands, like practically anyplace in a corporal punishment state, has people that have spanked their kids hard enough to leave wounds on their bodies. Honestly, if you switch someone then it isn't that hard to get bruises. You can leave bruises with a belt.

12. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

I am going to go out on a limb and say the vast, vast majority of parents do not leave multiple open wounds over multiple parts of the child's body including the scrotum when they 'discipline' their children, regardless of where they live.

I have yet to see any Peterson supporter admit to doing this to their own child(ren).

13. conundrum

conundrum Rookie

So how much should I bid for AP in my auction waiver wire this week?

14. Icehouse

Agreed. But a jury doesn't need to have a vast majority of those types of parents on it for AP to get off on a trial. It actually needs only a small minority.

I'm not trying to argue that AP wasn't wrong. The other poster mentioned the county and my response noted I'm sure that county also has people there who wouldn't convict him in a trial.

15. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

Adrian needs to make a public statement in which he shows contrition, apologizes, and says he'll never take his disciplining as far again. He deserves a second chance and should be reinstated immediately. From what we know, Peterson loves his kids and isn't habitually spanking them at this level. I'm sure he's learned his lesson. Time for everyone to move on.

16. J.R.

J.R. Member

He did issue a statement yesterday.

[rquoter]"I want to say I truly regret this incident. I stand here and I take full responsibility for my actions. I love my son more than any one of you could even imagine. I’m looking forward to and I’m anxious to continue my relationship with my child. I’m just glad this is over. I can put this behind me and me and my family can begin to move forward. Thanks."[/rquoter]

17. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

Cool, suit him up.

18. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

He probably can't even remember that kid's name.

19. davidio840

davidio840 Contributing Member

Peterson has been suspended the rest of the season and beyond without pay.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/1...minnesota-vikings-suspended-least-rest-season

20. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

I love how the NFL just makes up its rules on the go...even right after they started a new policy on domestic abuse.

Goodell is pure crap.