1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Adrian Peterson indicted for child abuse

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by J.R., Sep 12, 2014.

1. ItsMyFault

ItsMyFault Contributing Member

Unless you're in a 14 or 16 man league (and even then at this point) there shouldn't be any reason for him being on a team. Just wasting a roster spot.

2. J.R.

J.R. Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Prosecutor's request to recuse Judge Kelly Case from the Adrian Peterson proceedings denied, which is good news for the defendant. ...</p>&mdash; Albert Breer (@AlbertBreer) <a href="https://twitter.com/AlbertBreer/status/525075903164870656">October 23, 2014</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
    <blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>With Case still on the Peterson case, parties go forward with trial date he set (12/1 ). If other cases fall off docket, could be earlier.</p>&mdash; Albert Breer (@AlbertBreer) <a href="https://twitter.com/AlbertBreer/status/525076454506123264">October 23, 2014</a></blockquote>

3. J.R.

J.R. Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Adrian Peterson and his reps have been in ongoing talks to reach a plea agreement that could be done as early as Tuesday, per sources.</p>&mdash; Adam Schefter (@AdamSchefter) <a href="https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/528934130390937600">November 2, 2014</a></blockquote>

4. J.R.

J.R. Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Source: Adrian Peterson will plead no contest to misdemeanor charge <a href="http://t.co/eTfLkQaj7k">http://t.co/eTfLkQaj7k</a></p>&mdash; ProFootballTalk (@ProFootballTalk) <a href="https://twitter.com/ProFootballTalk/status/529662861019480065">November 4, 2014</a></blockquote>

5. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Hmmm . . after all that . . . . .

Rocket River

6. glad_ken

glad_ken Contributing Member

7. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I will still be very surprised if he is back on the playing field with the Vikings this year. Even with the Vikes mediocre again this year I think local opinion is pretty sour on him. My own feeling is that the next time we see Petersen on an NFL field will be next year for another team.

8. J.R.

J.R. Member

Paging Roger. ROGER! ROGER!

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Adrian Peterson pleads no contest. He will pay a fine of $4,000, serve 80 hours of community service, be placed on probation.</p>&mdash; Ian Rapoport (@RapSheet) <a href="https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/529727220085194754">November 4, 2014</a></blockquote>

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Peterson gets a $4,000 fine, pleads no contest, 80 hours community service. Judge defers guilty/innocent ruling for two years.</p>&mdash; Kevin Seifert (@SeifertESPN) <a href="https://twitter.com/SeifertESPN/status/529727288846602240">November 4, 2014</a></blockquote>

(40 of the 80 hours are PSA)

#468 J.R., Nov 4, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 4, 2014
  9. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

I hope they cut his ass. Beats up a little kid and gets community service, my goodness.

10. Major

Major Member

Probation is apparently pretty standard in first time cases like this with no malicious intent.

11. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

I know where he can do community service.

12. rhino17

rhino17 Member

define malicious intent please....

beating the **** out of a small child is pretty damn malicious to me

13. Major

Major Member

Intent = intending to harm. That's different from doing harm. It seems pretty clear from all of his statements - and he's been brutally honest about the whole thing - that he thought he was being a good parent and administering reasonable discipline. He may not be right and he did do harm, but that's different from intending to harm.

The disturbing part to me is that he still doesn't seem to realize that what he did was wrong, at least when we last heard from him a few months back.

14. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

I think beating a child, as the pictures show, indicates an intent to do harm. He didn't accidentally do it. Maybe he is one of the stupidest people alive and he didn't honestly intend to cause harm but I think under any rational thought process a grown man of his size and strength would understand that beating a young child like that would do harm.

#474 CometsWin, Nov 4, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 4, 2014
  15. Major

Major Member

That's certainly true - I should have clarified the "malicious" part. He intended to hit the child, and he did it as punishment for whatever the kid was doing. But it wasn't with malicious intent - he clearly thought he was being a good parent and trying to raise his child "properly". It's different from hitting a child because you're angry at them or because you want to hurt them. He was doing it because he thought it was being a good parent. There's a scale of what is acceptable, and corporal punishment is legal, even if you or I may disagree with it personally. He went beyond that and that's why he's in court, but there's a difference between going too far and having malicious intent. Again, this is a pretty standard way for cases like this to be resolved - he shouldn't be treated differently because he's famous, good or bad.

16. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

I bet he could have got off but he wanted it to be over so he could play.

17. Nook

Nook Member

A jury in Montgomery county wasn't going to convict him and the DA knew it. How he disciplined his son is fairly common in that area and there is great deference given to parenting down there.

All the news media centered in the north and people in large cities like LA, NY and Chicago can be shocked but it is what it is.

18. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

This wasn't in east county or even in Cut-n-Shoot. This was in The Woodlands. Not a place where that is common.

19. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Given what has come out about him since this story first broke, including him telling the drug tester he had smoked weed recently, I wouldn't discount AP's stupidity.

20. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

I do not think it is common to whoop a child such that he has multiple open wounds over multiple parts of his body including his scrotum.

I have read a lot of comments where folks said "my parents/grandparents did that to me", yet I have not read a single comment where those folks said "and I do the same to my child".