1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Adrian Peterson indicted for child abuse

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by J.R., Sep 12, 2014.

1. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

If you've ever felt a lick from nice thin "switch" then you wouldn't be laughing. At best (or worst, depending on how you look at it) a whipping with a switch is equally as painful as one with a belt. Take it from someone who's had plenty with both.

2. J.R.

J.R. Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>From the Montgomery County Sheriff's Dept.: &quot;An unknown police department called the City of Houston police ... <a href="http://t.co/Xty97aLnkK">http://t.co/Xty97aLnkK</a></p>&mdash; Albert Breer (@AlbertBreer) <a href="https://twitter.com/AlbertBreer/status/510539994327691264">September 12, 2014</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

From the Montgomery County Sheriff's Dept.:"An unknown police department called the City of Houston police department with a complaint of child endangerment, and Houston referred it to the Montgomery County Sheriff’s Office where the alleged case occurred. Montgomery County investigated a complaint of “injury to a child” and referred the case to the district attorney. The DA then handed the case to the Grand Jury."

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>From ESPN: The Montgomery County District Attorney's office told ESPN that Peterson has not been arrested.</p>&mdash; Chris Tomasson (@christomasson) <a href="https://twitter.com/christomasson/status/510540218248998912">September 12, 2014</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

3. Junkyard_Dog

Junkyard_Dog Member

This is sounding like a non story. Adrian went old school and whooped him with a switch. Grandma took the switch to my butt when I was younger and acting up...it happens.

4. edwardc

edwardc Member

This is just getting worst what will to NFL do now.

5. Roxnostalgia

Roxnostalgia Contributing Member

We need a sticky NFL Violence Thread.

6. The Law

The Law Member

At least he acknowledged this kid's existence. He is clearly making great strides in his abilities as a father.

7. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

If true, what a scumbag.

8. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

Did the kid call on his new i Phone 6?

9. mrm32

mrm32 Member

Um what's a switch?

10. mick fry

mick fry Member

Ideally a thin limber tree limb that will get your attention very quickly.

11. Junkyard_Dog

Junkyard_Dog Member

Rusty Hardin is Peterson's lawyer so he's golden.

12. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

You're not a true Texan if you don't know what a switch is. Or fear it.

My mom's dad made them go pick their own switch. If they came back with a bad one, the return trip doubled the amount of spankings.

13. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

IIRC he was AP's lawyer during that last incident in Houston when Peterson was too turnt up at a club.

14. K-Low_4_Prez

K-Low_4_Prez Member

Man the NFLs PR guy must be working overtime these days!

15. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

Damn AP should used the timeout method instead. Now it looks like he'll be getting a timeout...

16. torocan

torocan Member

Corporal punishment is legal in Texas, however it is limited to "reasonable" punishment.

A switch on a 4 year old? That's a touch extreme by most measures. The real question is how much punishment did he inflict.

Most of us imagine a switch or paddling based upon our own experiences. However, there are plenty of cases where parents have gone WAY past the line of reasonable discipline to abuse that leads to significant injury of the child. Only further information will tell us whether he crossed the line from discipline to abuse.

Either way, this is a REALLY bad time for Peterson to get indicted for child abuse. If you could pick any time to be arrested for a violent crime, this week would be the WORST possible week you could pick as a NFL player.

Hope Peterson didn't cross that line otherwise he's going to get hit with a sledgehammer by the NFL...

17. Dhoward12

Dhoward12 Member

The amount of people on twitter who dont know what a "switch" is surprises me

18. K-Low_4_Prez

K-Low_4_Prez Member

thats what happens when you dont grow up in an abusive household

19. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

Well... if he was aware that nowadays that isn't accepted, and was aware that it could hurt the child beyond the "corporal punishment" type of reprimanding... throw the book at him. I hope it's not all that serious. :eek:

I am not against corporal punishment at all, but there are some things you can't, nowadays, do to a child because of how the laws are changing, like mick fry said before me.

It's a sad situation, however we look at it.

No. That's what happens when you probably didn't call things the same way. :cool:

Do you know what a chancla is? :p What about a huarache or sandalia?

20. glad_ken

glad_ken Contributing Member

I'm from Louisiana and my grandmother always had a switch handy to discipline her grand kids. Its very common in the south. The mother lives in Minnesota, and i would bet anything that its a white woman.