1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Administration Spies on Everyone. Blackmailing?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by glynch, May 12, 2006.

Tags:
  1. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

With the recent revelations that the phone companies have helped spy on tens of millions of Americans it raises questions. Once the government decides to spy on virtually everyone it opens the possibility for blackmail for members of the press, elected officials and anyone of prominence who does not support the current administration. It is quite useful to know everyone's affairs, drug use, IRS infractions etc.

Would Bush Administration stoop so low? Can we just trust them not to do so? We don't know if there are enough safeguards as they have decided not to let anyone in Congress that they don't approve of have a high enough security clearance to find out.

Basso, Hayes, Bigtexx, the usual supsects any problems with this?

#1 glynch, May 12, 2006
    Last edited: May 12, 2006
  2. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

basso: why? I sleep better now knowing the terrorists won't kill me

bigtexx: definitely non whatsoever. MY finances are great, MY taxes are low, and MY stocks are high. screw all you leftist pink libs

hayes: no prolems at all. Iraqis should be happy and grateful we artificially created them a civil war as a surprise gift for them

3. HayesStreet

HayesStreet Member

What does this have to do with glynch's question?

Yeah, glynch - I do have a problem with it. I don't think there is anything the administration should not have to disclose to SOME members of Congress. By some I mean that because of leaks etc there are programs where a select Congressional committee has oversight (like intelligence) but the full body doesn't. I have seen this trend in the administration in other areas and it is very disturbing.

However, why am I a 'usual suspect' in regards to this question? I am hard pressed to think of any domestic issue on which I've agreed with the administration. I didn't vote for a Bush in any election (Perot, Clinton, Gore) and have many times expressed criticism of the administration both domestically and in foreign affairs.

4. Saint Louis

Saint Louis Member

I guess with T_J on his hiatus, you got elected to fill his spot in the right-wing holy trinity of the Clutch BBS. I personally would have voted for AceHigh to take T_J's spot.

5. RocketMan Tex

RocketMan Tex Contributing Member

Hayes Street's posts are too logical for him to take T_Js place.

My vote goes to AcesHigh as well. His hystrionics are very T_J-like.

6. HayesStreet

HayesStreet Member

What kind of right winger supported Clinton & Gore, open borders, taxes on the rich, welfare, student loans, paying the UN bill, and alternative energy?

Man. :(

Well, thanks for that. :)

7. Saint Louis

Saint Louis Member

Good lord your a stinkin liberal in disguise! You've just been removed from bigtexxx's Christmas card list.

8. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

no government ever takes a power temporary.

once this door is open . . it is wide open

Big Brother is listening

Rocket River

9. HayesStreet

HayesStreet Member

:D Some are saying the Devil in Disguise!

10. thadeus

thadeus Contributing Member

Too true. Even if a Democrat wins the next election, this power is now on the books. It's time to either jump the sinking ship, or jettison the cargo - starting with the dead weight in Washington D.C.

History, including our own history, is replete with measures that found their way into law by citing temporary necessity.

11. halfbreed

halfbreed Contributing Member

...because anyone who doesn't think Bush is wrong on 100% of the issues is automatically a neo-con and a bushbot to the posters in this forum.

12. giddyup

giddyup Contributing Member

Maybe, then, some of those examples are examples of things which are not so horrific? Why in the world would the oppositional party not do something about removing them if they were such offensive measures?

13. GladiatoRowdy

GladiatoRowdy Contributing Member

If the opposition party only has control of the White House, there will still be nothing they can do.

14. GladiatoRowdy

GladiatoRowdy Contributing Member

No, the neocons and Bushbots are the ones who think that Bush is right on 100% of the issues. There are certainly some here who qualify.

15. halfbreed

halfbreed Contributing Member

Indeed there are. However, there is very little sympathy on these boards for ANYONE who agrees with the president on ANYTHING. It's one of the reasons I've tried to avoid this forum lately.

16. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

They caught Juwan!

17. giddyup

Your problem, andymoon, is that you think that anyone who doesn't want to take Bush's head off about something is a Bushbot... :D

There is such a thing as not having a knee-jerk reaction against EVERY single thing. Politics is about compromoise, unfortunately. If you find a way around that, let us know.

18. giddyup

Aren't the Democrats planning on storming the mid-term elections?

What's more, I was referring to the remark that historically no power has been ceded by the government once it has been gained. Isn't that very telling right there?

19. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Prohibition?

20. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Please Explain.

Rocket River
    Drug War?