1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Last chance for the Phoenix Suns -- Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Adios Jeff Kent

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by wstar, Dec 7, 2004.

1. wstar

wstar Member

Astros officially anounced the signing of Orlando Palmeiro and their decisions to decline to offer arbitration to Jeff Kent, Dan Miceli and Darren Oliver.
    They did offer arbitration to Clemens and Beltran - they'll both likely decline and will then have thru 1/8 to negotiate a new deal with the team.

Since Kent now can't re-sign with the team until may 1, he'll obviously be signing elsewhere.

2. sccdct34

sccdct34 Member

3. wstar

wstar Member

4. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

what does arbitration mean? .....it keeps him from being able to sign with the team till may 1st?! ....I hope we get beltran.

5. hoang17

hoang17 Contributing Member

there goes the whole, "we want jeff kent back" coverup.

i'm pretty sure politics had to go into this as biggio probably's going back to 2nd and added to the fact that Kent probably wanted more money. We're gonna miss his bat big time. Maybe troy glaus?

6. DVauthrin

DVauthrin Contributing Member

It means barring unlikely circumstances, Jeff Kent won't be an Astro next year. And this is more than likely because he didn't want to take a paycut, besides the fact they have burke and possibly biggio to man the position.

It also means the Astros decided that they were afraid of arbitration with kent. In arbitration, the arbitrator gets to decide whether a player gets an increase or decrease or no change to their last year salary. Since Kent made 9 mil last year, and his numbers were all star caliber for his position, he would more than likely not be seeing a decrease in his pay by an arbitrator. After the arbitrator rules on the player's next year salary, the player has the choice of accepting it, or pursuing other offers.

Therefore, since the market for a 36 year old jeff kent is likely much less than his 9 million dollar 2004 salary, he would accept the arbitration offer, and the Astros would be stuck paying it. They decided that a first round pick wasn't worth losing more of their financial flexibility to get a player to replace Kent along with Beltran.

7. bottlerocket

bottlerocket Member

I wonder if this will have an effect on Beltran decision on coming back to the Astros. Beltran wanted to keep the team together so I wonder if that included JK.

8. DVauthrin

DVauthrin Contributing Member

One correction to my above post:

Kent would get to choose whether to go into arbitration with Houston, and if he chooses to do so, he/the team are bound by the judge's decision regarding his 2005 salary(and both teams get to present their figure and why to him). It's if he declines to pursue arbitration then he is back on the open market.

Still, the bottom line is the risk of paying Kent close to his 2004 salary outweighs the reward of a potential draft pick if he were to unlikely choose to forego his arbitration right. Especially considering the team needs as much money for the Beltran/replacement fund and has lesser, but serviceable replacements in waiting.

9. JunkyardDwg

JunkyardDwg Contributing Member

One of Beltran's conditions for signing w/ the Astros is that the young core of talent is preserved, as in Berkman, Everett, Oswalt and Lidge. Kent I doubt would factor into his decision.

10. Ender120

Ender120 Contributing Member

Not only that, but I don't get the feeling that Beltran and Kent like each other very much.

A lot of times, in the dugout, I would see them by each other, but neither of them ever said a word to the other.

A couple times, I would see Kent lounging back in the dugout, and Beltran would walk by, and Kent wouldn't even bother to move his feet to let Beltran through.

I just don't get the feeling that they're very fond of each other.

Then again, what I've just said isn't very solid proof, simply my personal observations.

And a lot of people here didn't believe me when I said that I saw that article on how Beltran wouldn't want to play here in Houston again unless we removed Tal's Hill.

I looked all over for that article. :(

11. JPM0016

JPM0016 Contributing Member

Adios p*rn mustache. If the 1 year 5 million dollar contract offer wasn't good enough then good riddance. I'm sure he'll enjoy his new teammates
    http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=1940868

The Astros better find a way to sign Beltran, if not him another run producer. As we stand right now Jeff Bagwell is our biggest home run threat on opening day.

#11 JPM0016, Dec 8, 2004
    Last edited: Dec 8, 2004
  12. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

Well, if this gets Biggio out of the outfield, then I'm all for it. I will miss Kent, though, and the Astros offense will miss him as well. If you take away a player of his caliber, then obviously you need to replace that effort with someone equivalent. If we do not do that, then our offense loses. The Astros obviously didn't want to pay Kent his value. If I were Kent, then I would bail as well. If Beltran doesn't re-sign, then we are in a world of hurt. Then, why would Clemens even want to come back another year?

13. SamCassell

SamCassell Contributing Member

I think not tendering arbitration to Kent was a mistake, because I believe he would have gotten a multiyear contract somewhere else either way. Really, gave away a 1st round draft pick there.

That said, I think we needed to clear room in the lineup for Burke. If he can't handle 2nd, Biggio's the backup plan. This team absolutely needed to get younger - but we also need to keep Beltran or replace him with a couple of quality free agents. Take away Kent and Beltran and this offense is really anemic.

14. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

I won't miss Kent. Sorry, not at all. Moises back? Giles from Atlanta?

Spend his $ on Leiter and one more outfielder who can hit and field.

15. mogrod

mogrod Contributing Member

Well, ESPN reported this morning on SportCenter that the Rangers may be willing to trade Soriano for pitcher. Maybe we can swing a deal with Wade Miller. Dreaming but it would be nice.

16. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Beltran more comfortable with another Hispanic or two? Ordonez, Soriano, Hidalgo? OK, Puerto Rico and Venezuela are apart, but would it be a better atmosphere than a Redneck?

17. rrj_gamz

rrj_gamz Contributing Member

I'd be all over this...but doubt its true...

Kent is going to be sorely missed...From a run production standpoint, locker room, you name it...We won't get Beltran, we won't have Kent, Berkman's out, we are screwed...Roger won't come back...

18. Castor27

Castor27 Moderator
    Staff Member

Actually Soriano has been rumored to be on the block, since right after he was acquired from NY. At some point there was a discussion on here that involved sending Kent and a pitcher to TExas, to acquire Soriano. I am not a huge Soriano fan but I think he would be a good replacement for Kent. I read a report by Gammons that said the Astros were encouraged by medical reports on Miller, and may not be looking to deal him. Reading between the lines I see, Wade Miller is going to be ok, so if you other teams want him let us know.

19. meh

meh Contributing Member

Looks like Pupura really likes Burke to make this move. I know playing rookies is a dicey proposition. But when you're on a budget and has no other prospects, it really doesn't leave you with much choice.

I'm quite surprised at giving the Rocket arbitration. Would Clemens be annoyed at that? I mean, if he suddenly decides he wants another big payday, he can absolutely clean out the Stros in arbitration. $15 mil looks quite reasonable based on what Maddux got with the Braves two years back.

20. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

you're right. things did change DRASTICALLY. but at its core, you're right.