1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Adelman's Last Rodeo with Rockets

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by packet, Feb 2, 2011.

1. thumbs

thumbs Contributing Member

Rick Adelman is doing an excellent job given his circumstances. The real problem is moneyball. I have come to believe that above average mediocrity is the real moneyball goal.

The advantage, aside from excellent salary to production ratios, is to keep the fan fires fanned enough to keep fannies in the seats. In other words, building a record good enough to engender hope and thus continue interest in the team is the real goal. Anything extra is a bonus.

2. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

he wouldn't want to coach the Rockets with this current roster.

3. JLOBABYDADDY

JLOBABYDADDY Member

JVG will do it if you leave Shane, Scola, and Chuck in place. He swoons over those guys. I get the feeling he would give anything to coach them again.

4. boomboom

boomboom I GOT '99 PROBLEMS
    Supporting Member

I'd hire DaDakota.

5. HillBoy

HillBoy Contributing Member

Exactly why would JVG want to come back here especially after playing the fall guy for CD, Uncle Les and the rest of the Stooges over at the TC?

6. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

JS said nothing incorrect but nothing insightful, either.

Fearless predictions:

There will be a reasonably major trade by 2/24
    There will be a reasonably minor trade by 2/24
    Adelman will 'retire' by ASG
    Turner will replace him (interim; and then full time after successful finish to year (defined loosely)
    The Rox will remain irrelevant until they do land a very compelling piece (before the next season is played)

Gee, not much more insightful than a Soloman effort.

7. inishi

inishi Member

What don't you get, it doesn't matter who the coach is, we do not have thebplayers to be a good defensive team. Luis scola is soft and chuck Hayes is half a foot too short. There is your two most important spots on d. And Rick is not a bad defensive coach, do some research before spouting some nonsense you heard from someone who is most likely quite ignorant.

8. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

Agreed. Adelman's coaching has gotten stale.

9. JMAD21

JMAD21 Member

Someone help me out...

Who will be the popular coaching candidates for next year?

10. abc2007

abc2007 Member

Turner

11. solid

solid Contributing Member

First good news I have heard regarding the Rockets in a very long time. Unfortunately, it is nothing more than an inference, pure speculation. But if this were Adelman's last year, great. I have never been a fan, didn't think he was the right pick after JVC. If he does leave, I would prefer a much younger coach, someone who has been an assistant on a successful team. We don't have to have a high profile coach, how about an up and comer with some fresh ideas and a heartbeat. I wouldn't mind a little animation on the sideline and rotations, substitutions, timeouts, and last second plays that make sense.

12. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Stop equating our mediocrity to moneyball, it has ZERO to with it.

Our mediocrity is the product of a sudden loss of two superstars.

13. rockets934life

rockets934life Contributing Member

I thought Morey had brought in players that could play with or without Yao, at least that is what he told everyone.

1 person likes this.
  14. ryano2009

ryano2009 Member

Not really, ever since T-mac left the team went to the second round and almost pulled off an upset against the top team in the west.

1 person likes this.
  15. Cstyle42

Cstyle42 Member

Very good post!

16. rpr52121

rpr52121 Sober Fan
    Supporting Member

I'm still not sure about Turner. He would a nice hire, but I feel he is more offensive minded. While I do not want another coach like JVG who would sacrifice all offense for any defense, I really want the Rockets to get a slightly more defensive minded coach.

My first group would be:

Dwayne Casey
    Mike Budenholzer

Second group would include:
    Elston Turner
    Sam Mitchell
    Tyrone Corbin

Now, I'm not saying Adelman has to leave. I'm just presupposing that he is gone after this season.

17. Cstyle42

Cstyle42 Member

The Rockets don't have the players on the floor to play good defense. For Christ sake the center is 6'6 and you have Brooks and Martin as the 1 and 2. Scola is a unathletic 4. Battier is the best you have and he is not all that anymore. Doesn't matter what coach you get with this group you have to get guys that have some athletic talent, toughness and heart to play on that side of the floor.

18. danoman

danoman Contributing Member

lol,... havent seen him post

19. inishi

inishi Member

A defensive minded coach is not going to change anything. The opponents might score fewer PPG simply because of a slower pace, but that doesn't mean defense will improve. We don't have the players to make it work. Someone, I can't remember who, has a sig with defensive rankings of some RA coached teams. He's fine in that department, and one of the best offensive coaches in the league. Coaching is so far from the issue, its almost ridiculous to talk about it.

1 person likes this.
  20. rpr52121

rpr52121 Sober Fan
    Supporting Member

I completely agree with you. Considering where this team is going, Battier is gone after this year, Brooks may be gone soon, and Martin & Scola will likely be gone to contenders sooner than later.

All I was saying is that if we need to bring in a new coach who is taking over a rebuilding team and working to see what young guys like Hill, Pat, T-Will, Ish, etc. have, I want a coach who will stress defensive effort and consistency on these impressionable young players.