1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Actual vs Listed Height of NBA Players

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Nikos, Jun 16, 2002.

1. Nikos

Nikos Member

I know this may seem silly but I have always been curious if actual heights of NBA Players are accurate.

For example Kobe Bryant says he is really 6'6" when they list him at 6'7"

Barkley was listed as 6'6" but was 6'4"1/2

Hakeem was said to be 7-0 and 6-11" but was 6'10 3/4"

Allan Houston is listed as 6'6 but said on Conan he was closer to 6'3".

Im sure there are other examples but I was wondering if some of the older championship rocket players were really their listed heights.

Cassell listed as 6'3" (was he really this tall)

Smith listed as 6'3" (was he this tall, he seems shorter, if Barkley is 6'4ish, and Smith looks noticable shorter)

It seems like they exaggerate gaurds heights the most, sometimes by 2 inches or so, and more like a one inch exaggeration for those above 6'6"

What do you guys think? Are Cassell and Smith shorter than 6'3" along with other rockets like Maybe Elie or Rockets today like Mobey or Francis?

I am just curious, cause it always interests me to compare myself and my height with other NBA guards since I am only about 6'1". I wonder if PG's like Smith and Cassell are actually 6'3" and so forth......

this may seem a little silly but I was wondering what anyone else thinks about listed vs actualy heights of NBA Players.

2. napster

napster Member

Kobe came into the league at 6'6" but I think he grew a bit.

And I seriously doubt Houston to be 6'3"

3. Nikos

Nikos Member

He said hes closer to 6'3" than 6'6". On the Conan O brein show he said he was about 6'3" 1/2.

4. Rocketblast

Rocketblast Member

I still don't think Kobe is 6'7.

5. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Ming is actually 6' 5" - Rudy and CD have to keep it under wraps though for trade possibilities.;)

6. AstroRocket

AstroRocket Member

I don't know about Houston. When you look at him relative to other players, he seems to be a legit 6'6" I remember when he and Jordan played each other back in '98. They looked to be the same heoght.

7. Nikos

Nikos Member

Kobe said he was 6'6" on the MTV Diary show......so he probably is about 6'6".

8. Nikos

Nikos Member

Someone I know told me that Houston said this on Conan O Brian about 2 years ago.

I figured Houston would be about 6'5" or so, but Im suprised he said he was about 6'4".

I wonder if Cassell and Smith are really 6'3", what do you guys think?

9. NYKRule

NYKRule Member

said on Conan he was closer to 6'3".

He must have been joking. He's atleast 6'5 3/4"

10. COMPAQ CENTER

COMPAQ CENTER Member

This all depends with or without shoes. Shoes can add about 1.25".

11. mfclark

mfclark Member

In general, heights are inflated by about 1-1.5", depending on the position. If a player is close to 7', it's likely they are really closer to 6'10" or 6'11". It's designed to make shorter players look like they are of normal height for their position.

Shoes really shouldn't add that much, but it probably adds another .5"-.75" to the heights and is thus listed as such.

12. UNMKT4

UNMKT4 Member

shoes add a good 2 inches for me. I'm 6-5 with shoes,probably a mere 6-2/6-3 wthout them.

I also know Jason Williams from Memphis is 5-11 w/o shoes, 6-1 with them and he really is only 175 lbs. His listed weight at 190 lbs is really off.

However tall Nick Andersen says he is, i sure can believe it. When i met him at a game I went to in Sa, he was a good 3-4 inches taller than me at that time (2-3 years ago).

13. TheReasonSF3

TheReasonSF3 Member

Franchise is closer to 6-1 than 6-3. I've met him and he doesn't look like he's 6-3. I'm 5-10 and a half and he didn't look that much taller than me. I know someone else that met him that is 6-2 and he said that Steve looked a little bit smaller than him.

14. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

I've seen Cat,Francis and some of the other Rockets in the clubs. Cat is about 6'4 and Francis ,Smith and Cassell are all about the same 6'3 size also. You have to remember that a player doesn't play without shoes, so if guy is 6'6 flat foot, ad that 1-1/4 and thats his height.

15. getsmartnow

getsmartnow Contributing Member

I heard Iverson is closer to 5'10 or 5'11 than 6'1, as he is listed as. He also looks a lot lighter as well.

16. Nikos

Nikos Member

So with shoes you are saying they are 6'3"? Which means they are really about 6'1" 1/2 or 6'2"?