1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Acting Attorney General Matthew Whitaker (New Supervisor of the Mueller Probe)

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by MojoMan, Nov 7, 2018.

1. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Who cares? What does Judge Jeanine say?

2. Fullcourt

Fullcourt Contributing Member

The Russians meddled with the US presidential election, and had an enormous role in shaping public opinion to damage Clinton, right before the elections, which Trump won by a hair. There was a Trump Tower meeting with Russian officials. It's not an arbitrary thought to question whether there is a trail of money laundering, which is why the financial records are paramount.

No Worries, Nook, mtbrays and 2 others like this.
  3. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

This appointment appears to be unconstitutional by a previous Clarence Thomas ruling:

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/11/08/...l?action=click&module=Opinion&pgtype=Homepage

Fullcourt likes this.
  4. MojoMan

MojoMan Member

The NLRB position you are referring to is a permanent role that was filled by a recess appointment. None of that applies in this case.

The Vacancies Act enables the president to name an "acting officer," who may serve as such for 210 days, as long as the person named has been working at the agency or department for at least 90 days in a fairly high-ranking position. Whitaker qualifies.

5. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Thomas is saying that no statute can be used to overcome the constitution - clearly Trump maneuvered to get around the constitutional requirement, the courts - even a conservative one, will rule against him.

6. quikkag

quikkag Contributing Member

^^^ Here's a guy who looks beyond the surface. Whitaker, then, will play a role similar to when Devin Nunes secretly carried closed door information from the House investigation to the WH.

7. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

8. NewRoxFan

The Vacancies act does not apply when the person being replaced was fired.

No Worries likes this.
  9. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

This is correct. This act is being used in this case is a clear abuse of power. It’s like using the 25th amendment when the president is perfectly healthy, but you just don’t want to go through the impeachment process.

The vacancies act is designed for emergencies. Bi passing the chain of command is clearly an abuse of power and I fully expect some sort of stop put to his appointment pretty soon.

If not, virtually every court case in the United States that is the US justice department vs Joe Blow can be challenged in court based on the fact that there is a fake AG listed as the party bringing charges. I would assume other federal judges around the country can do something to challenge this.

10. NewRoxFan

Daily reminder... trump lies about everything.

quikkag likes this.
  11. NewRoxFan

And naturally, the guy trump knows, he hasn't discussed the Mueller investigation...

[​IMG]

quikkag likes this.
  12. jo mama

jo mama Contributing Member

just as a reminder...john yoo is the guy who said there is no law to prevent the president from having a childs testicles crushed in front of his parents.

if even this piece of human garbage is saying trump went too far then you know you have problems.

13. MojoMan

MojoMan Member

As you know very well, Sessions was not fired. He resigned.

14. NewRoxFan

As you know very well, the first sentence of his "resignation" letter was "At your request..."

[​IMG]

15. mdrowe00

mdrowe00 Member

Ha!

Garbage in, garbage out...or something like that...right?

16. mdrowe00

mdrowe00 Member

...uh...

...ain't it written down somewhere in all these selectively enforced laws and constitutions that these two things—religion and policy—are supposed to be kept separate?...

...I keep thinking I heard or read something like that somewhere before...

Nook likes this.
  17. MojoMan

MojoMan Member

Which is immediately followed by the words "I am submitting my resignation". Not even the most obtuse leftist can honestly deny that they think that Sessions resigned here. You provided the documentation for that yourself.

Trump has 210 days to replace Whitaker. It is a temporary role with a Congressionally determined shelf-life.

Will anyone be surprised if Trump nominates a new AG as soon as today?

18. NewRoxFan

Yea, if my boss and company tells me to resign I will tell my friends I wasn't fired too.

19. NewRoxFan

Bill Kristol, editor of the conservative The Weekly Standard...

20. Anticope

Anticope Member

I chuckle thinking about the meltdown you would be having right now if a president Hillary Clinton had just appointed a non Senate confirmed lackey to oversee an investigation into herself. Party before literally everything else.

No Worries likes this.