1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

According to Blinebury... no Yao or T-mac tonight

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by GMNot, Apr 18, 2007.

1. GMNot

GMNot Member

If I've missed this being posted before, please lock it.

Link: http://blogs.chron.com/franblinebury/2007/04/all_that_jazz_is_nothing_but_n.html

Yao and T-Mac will enjoy the popcorn. Live blog tonight 8 p.m.

Well, at least they got a nice plane ride to Utah.

The latest word out of this morning's shootaround is that Yao Ming and Tracy McGrady will not play tonight in the regular season finale against the Jazz. Both were informed of the decision by Jeff Van Gundy at a morning meeting in the team hotel.

Rafer Alston will play, because he's had trouble against the Jazz and they want him to work on some things. Shane Battier will play, because, well, he's Shane Battier and wants to play in all 82 games.

Jerry Sloan says all of his players will be available and will play for the Jazz.

Yao and T-Mac can lead Rockets cheers from the bench and maybe share a large bucket of popcorn.

2. texanskan

texanskan Contributing Member

It's ok, Greek T-Mac and Greek Yao will pick up the slack

Hellas, Hellas, Hellas!!!

3. ToyCen428

ToyCen428 Member

Good move by JVG. They need a few days rest as it is... Be sure that if one player from Utah gets as much as a turned ankle.. he will sit his starters the rest of the game. Here's to a healthy season finale!

4. Rocketeer

Rocketeer Contributing Member

5. TTRocket

TTRocket Contributing Member

Man having Alston getting injured is almost as bad as losing Tmac or Yao...i dont think he should play either...put in VSPAN!

6. hooroo

hooroo Member

I get the feeling CD & Les might have had a say... No pressure to sell tickets at the TC.

7. doublehh03

doublehh03 Member

that's funny. alston will NEVER get injured b/c no one ever guards him. :D

8. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

Smart move by Van Gundy. No need to risk injury to either superstar. Interesting that they even made the flight to Utah though. I could be wrong but I believe that in every game missed by Yao or T-Mac this season, neither was sitting on the bench in street clothes.

Can't wait to see Rafer go 3-20 tonight from the field. :D

9. Ehsan

Ehsan Member

I hope Rafer, Battier, Luther and Deke don't get too many minutes.

I want to see some Tsakilidis, a little bit of V-Span, lots of Snyder, and maybe a pinch of Novak.

Basically I would rather rest Yao, Mac, Battier and Alston for this game. I don't care about the showcase. I would like Snyder to get some time, get more into game shape than he's been. I want Luther to find his spots against Utah's defense. I want Deke to rest those knees from now till game 1. I would like to see Battier and Hayes guarding Okur the entire game regardless of the results. It would allow him to learn some of Okur's tendencies so that when we play we could possibly go to a small line-up with less to worry about.

I'm content with this news though. It would be stupid to play our guys knowing the Jazz have a history of trying to injure players.

10. doublehh03

doublehh03 Member

u want them to still feel part of the team. u want them to keep practicing w/ the team to maintain some team rhythm.

i personally don't agree w/ this move b/c u just want tmac/yao to play at least 10-15 mins to stay in game rhythm. but injuries are more important.

11. entirelydave

entirelydave Member

i like this move by JVG. get those guys on the bench familiar with the jazz (and playing in general) in case they need to be called upon.

12. Hayesfan

Hayesfan Contributing Member

Even if they aren't playing you want them there watching this particular team. Both Yao and Tmac are very smart as far as BBall IQ. I want them watching the game live and getting even more ideas about how to pound it to Utah.

13. Rulow00

Rulow00 Member

Good one. We will see what V-span can really do.

14. Rasselas

Rasselas Contributing Member

Good move. I'm less worried about injuries, and more worried about a shift in momentum. If we play our full squad, and if the Jazz plays their full squad, and if the Jazz wins.... that actually gives them some confidence.

Now, with Yao and T-Mac out, a Jazz victory will have a 36-point-font asterisk, and both teams will know it.

15. GMNot

GMNot Member

He probably won't get hurt but I don't quite see how he gets to "work on some things" when the absence of Yao and T-mac will drastically change the environment he is playing in... maybe JVG wants him to work on going to the basket and finishing better. :)

16. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

WHEW !!!

JVG is DA - Man !

;)

DD

17. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Add Chuck Hayes and that would be my starting lineup tonight.

If it were up to me, besides Hayes, the regular 8-man rotation would be in street clothes tonight. And I only want Hayes to play so he can be our #1 scoring option. :D

18. Hayesfan

Hayesfan Contributing Member

that is a frightening thought

19. Rasselas

Rasselas Contributing Member

I want to see Bullard hop over the announcer's table, rip open his suit to reveal a Rockets uni, check into the game, and start chucking 3s.

20. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

Interesting reverse - they all sounded like they were going to play as if it mattered up until now. I like it. Don't show your hand, and they can't get momentum from this if they don't face our A-team. All we need is Novak to enter the game and take a suspension for breaking Deron William's thumb.

Evan|ok, maybe not the thumb part.