1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

AC/DC (and other bands) played at Astroworld

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by htwnbandit, Mar 17, 2014.

1. htwnbandit

htwnbandit Member

Okay that blew my mind. How would you like to be having an absolute blast at good old Astroworld then all of a sudden AC ****ing DC starts playing at the arena?? If I was alive to show up for that that would've blown my freaking mind. Not sure if this deserves it's own thread but eff it, any of you remember this or attended?

[​IMG]

http://rockinhouston.com/venues/astroworld-southern-star/604?groupBy=Performers&page=1

Apparently others played there too not just AC/DC, including Alice Cooper, Billy Idol and Bryan Adams but not as big a fan of theirs. Mostly bands I've never heard of too.

1 person likes this.
  2. jo mama

jo mama Contributing Member

i saw morrissey at astroworld.

3. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

There was an ampitheater at the back end of the park. You still needed a concert ticket for the reserved seating but the lawn area might've been open to paying park goers, I can't remember. It used to host a lot of big acts in the 80s but then they built Cynthia Woods Mitchell Pavillion in 1990 and the major acts started going there. But they still had good concerts there right up until it closed.

4. IBTL

IBTL Member
    Supporting Member

yeah I think erasure played too.

Good find op.

I know its beat to death here but again -
    Shame that this venue and astroworld couldn't have been preserved.

I was at rodeo other day, and looked over where astroworld was, and had a sinking moment there. I guess I am getting old.

Lots of memories of astroworld and was always a good day to hit there. Went to fiesta texas this weekend and it had some of that same nostalgia/feel but nothing compares to astroworld. Can't really put a finger on that thing called atmosphere and character. I would say that astroworld had that. I was at disneyland and even there it was a bit forced.

Just not that feel good that you get of being able to buy a glow necklace, ride the sky screamer 200 times in a row, mack on the ladies at the arcade playing tron ,and topping it off with some freaking wham careless whisper? Are you f-ing kidding me? golden age in many ways. yup I'm feeling old. thanks op.

5. IBTL

IBTL Member
    Supporting Member

also what was your favorite part of astroworld? Generally in the day I would hit excalibur to get juices flowing then something fun like thunder river or that bamboo shoot when thunder river didnt exist yet. starter course if you will.

From there I would head to the other side and spend time at greased lightning area. Midday I was at that place you lay down and watch movies. Not sure if any of you remember that.

After that evenings was always near sky screamer and that area down by texas cyclone. good times.

6. jev5555

jev5555 ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I saw Wynonna...I know right? Lame.

7. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

The current land use is an embarrassment.

8. Behad

Behad Contributing Member

I saw Dire Straits there.

9. Colt45

Colt45 Member
    Supporting Member

I saw Cheap Trick, the Cure, Jackson Browne & Emerson, Lake and Powell there.

10. Jontro

Jontro Member

Never seen any concerts there, but I played the basketball games several times and never got no prize. Game's rigged. Meanwhile black dude next to me got a huge ass teddy.

11. BamBam

BamBam Contributing Member

At least people know who Wynonna is. Back in the 80's I saw Petra, yes I know, I'm the only one who knows who they are...:(

Dude, you NEVER miss, it had to of been rigged! Was this guy in charge of the game...

[​IMG]

Tim Donaghy...:confused:

12. BetterThanI

BetterThanI Contributing Member

I was front row at Southern Star Amphitheater for the Bangles. Looking up Susanna Hoffs' skirt is one of my fondest memories of youth.

I also saw Cutting Crew and Eddie Money there. And now I feel old.

13. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

My mom took us there to watch Kirk Franklin in the mid 90s. I think I win the random Astroworld concert contest with that one.

14. Rockets1988-

Rockets1988- Member

Alice Cooper is my uncle!!!

15. BamBam

BamBam Contributing Member

That's weird, D.B. Cooper is mine...:eek:

16. Do WHAT?

Do WHAT? Member

I saw Mike and the Mechanics. :grin:

17. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

I saw Night Ranger and Stevie Nicks there. (not the same night)

As a kid, I LOVED the River of No Return. As a teenager, I loved the Texas Cyclone. Nothing like the buildup to that very first drop.

18. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Contributing Member

Yup, I saw the Cure, Howard Jones (LOL), Depeche Mode with OMD (One of the songs was on the 101 DVD) Erasure, Moz front row and got hit by a ton of Lilies, and [VERL SMALL] NKoTB with Tiffany[/VERY SMALL TEXT] There was tons of young hotness thur, shut it. Pretty sure I witnessed many more bands just can't remember.

What I loved about the concerts, if it was a show I had no interest in, usually most of the park would go there and I could ride Greased Lightening or the Cyclone like 50 times in a row without getting out of my seat as there were no lines. Loved that. Then hit of Vidiocity and throw down my wicked break dance pops.

19. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

1973/Astroworld/Santana/Orange Barrel

* looking at the site that's not actually right. They played Hofheinz in 73 and Sam Houston in 74 so I don't really remember who some of the Astro bands I saw then were. damn

I know I was at this one, because my girlfriend/now wife had her purse stole with the car keys in it

[​IMG]

#19 Dubious, Mar 18, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2014
  20. Torn n Frayed

Torn n Frayed Member

First show I saw was there in 1982; John Cougar! Then in no order;

Joe Jackson
    the Outfield
    Depche Mode/OMD
    New Order
    Erasure
    Morrissey