1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Abortion and racism

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by rhester, Apr 11, 2005.

1. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Thank you for the post topfive. It is great to have both sides of a debate.

2. HayesStreet

HayesStreet Member

Is this true?

Does anyone know what the racial breakdown is of those deemed poor in the US? I wonder if this is true as well.

3. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

I would also like to see a break down of the demographics of women who have had abortions. I can tell you from personal experience, I know three women who have gotten abortions in the past 5 years. All were young, only one was a minority, and none were poor.

4. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Even when taken out of context, I don't think you can call W.E.B DuBois racist against blacks.

Thanks for the article . It makes her efforts on civil rights sound visionary. Though I bet other colleagues of her time had racist intentions, Sanger now seems like a questionable target for racist accusations.

5. giddyup

giddyup Contributing Member

Does the term "welfare baby" ring familiar in here?

6. topfive

topfive CF OG

I just noticed this little gem. Since those are your words, rhester, and not a quote, could you maybe name a few of these pro-choice "movement" leaders who hold to the philosophy that there are inferior races?*

Just curious.

* NASCAR references not allowed.

7. HayesStreet

HayesStreet Member

What does that mean? Welfare baby is a ridiculous term invented by the media to sensationalize a few cases of fraud.

8. rhester

rhester Contributing Member

Topfive- Thank you for pointing this out. I was wrong to post something that is just inference without link or documentation or explanation.

I started what I thought would make for interesting debate and had to go to a Doctor's appt. so I could not post some other back ground. I will.

This statement should have been explained this way- Instead of pro-choice movement (which is a distinctive to the abortion rights movement in America) I should have used population control, sustainable growth etc. all the U.N. terms for population issues. The global abortion programs are heavily entrenched in U.N. programs around the world. Planned parenthood is intertwinded in these efforts. The eugenics philosophy is very apparant as you look at these U.N. initives. They target groups. That is the problem with eugenics. They target groups. So I will try to make the links down the ladder showing the relationship between the social engineers who are strongly eugencic, the U.N. initiatives, their these social planners leadership and their partnership to the pro-choice orgs. like planned parenthood.

These things are usually spider's webs that must be researched and unravelled. I haven't read up on it in a few years. But when I read that article I posted from a website it reminded me of the issues.

Anyone who quotes any planned parenthood spin on Margaret Sanger will come up with good things to say about the Negro Project and DuBois but this is spin. I will post some counter information which will shed light on the "positive" side of Sanger. Anyone who is defending her just hasn't read her writings and done enough objective research. There is a very liberal progressive Black Women's activist sight in Washington, DC which while defending Planned Parenthood to the max has researched its roots and really done a very good job of exposing the racists and hateful roots of the movement. Although they are strong Democrats and pro-choice, they have formed a group to expose and halt the targeting of minorities for these population control attacks. They get it. Even though they are liberal they get it. And the research is there for anyone to take time and do it. One of the ladies leading this is a black woman named Julianne Malveaux
    Do a search, I think her group is women-e-news
    Another group of black women trying to deal with this racist issue is SisterSong Women of Color Reproductive Health Initiative.

Just because abortion is legal, doesn't make it right to have an underlying philosophy that has proven to target races and other undesirables. This should be examined.

If progressive Black women are fighting to expose this issue why are some trying to defend it.

9. topfive

topfive CF OG

As is anything coming from the Life Research Institute -- whose "pro-life" agenda obviously includes lying and/or exaggerating if it helps to make their case.

My whole point in posting the reply from Planned Parenthood is that there are certain sources you CAN'T trust implicitly in an issue like this, and that includes anyone who has such a one-sided agenda to begin with -- including Planned Parenthood.

Anyone wanting the "real" story behind Sanger should do his or her homework and not put all their eggs in a single basket The biggest problem with political discourse today is that so many people are willing to distort truth, bend reality and outright lie if that will convince people to take up their cause. (Second biggest problem would be that so many people are willing to take such nonsense at face value.)

10. giddyup

giddyup Contributing Member

I googled it and found people willfully using it to describe themselves. Here's my favorite:

http://donatemoney2me.com/Please-Donate/AG7H3S2.htm

11. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Dubois was an elitist

Rocket River

12. rhester

TopFive- Good post.

I think the need today is to research and study from both sides.
    And go deep.

If you want to understand the fruit you better understand the roots.

Read- "The Pivot of Civilization" by Margaret Sanger
    Read her other writings, there are many.
    Check out all of her associates and board members.
    Read up on Henry Pratt Fairchild whom Sanger selected to lead her Population Assoc. of America
    Research her other Board members, Lothrop Stoddart, while working with Sanger he wrote,"The Rising Tide of Color Against White World-Supremacy"

Their are many others she worked closely with for years.

And then just read her own writings and the works of her organization like, The American Birth Control League.

Like TopFive said do your own homework and then follow the thread all the way down to the U.N. work on population control.

Anyway no one is addressing my original question.

Tell me why this is not an issue with regards to abortion?

Study long enough and Sangers own philosophy will rise to the surface, and I suppose we are carrying out her vision purely by accident with the best of intentions?

I believe we ought to do more to help minorities have strong families. Fewer divorces and single parent homes. And I think the churches should take a lead on this, not the government.

I don't understand why more attention is not given by the media and both sides of the abortion issue to what so many black women are starting to question concerning the targeting of minorities for family planning. Many minorities are beginning to work for stronger marriages and families and an alternative answer to the social welfare system that has failed them over the past 50 years.

13. Sishir Chang

Sishir Chang Contributing Member

No offense Rhester and I'll throw in Langal and Rocket River here but this smacks of wild conspiracy theory.

If Planned Parenthood and the abortion and contraception programs are aimed at wiping out minorities why do so many white women of all income levels use those services also?

To my knowledge there are no government programs that directly encourage abortion. There are plenty of programs (or the lack of) that indirectly encourage abortion but nothing that points at some program targetting minorities.

If there is some sort of internationally conspiracy to exterminate minorities (non-whites) through abortion and contraception its greatly backfired since abortion and contraception are most widely available in European countries whose white populations are declining. In Italy and Russia this has gotten to be such a problem that politicians have publicly encouraged people to breed more. While populations in Africa and Asia continue to rapidly wise.

If it is some sort of grand conspiracy its a pretty sad one.

As for Margaret Sanger I don't know enough about her to say whether she was a racist or not but it certainly seems plausible that she might've been. Lets see 1920's-1930's White American WHO WOULD'VE THUNK IT THAT THERE COULD BE RACISTS THERE!

So while Planned Parenthood may have been founded by a racist many respected American organizations had racists in prominent positions and/or espoused some pretty cooky ideas. Unless someone can show me that Planned Parenthood still publically support a racist agenda (like say some PP literature saying "How to Exterminate the Mud People) I find it very hard to buy this as anything more than a wild conspiracy theory.

14. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

One of the people who discovered DNA, (I don't remember whether it was Watson or Crick) was a big racist. The fact that he discovered DNA doesn't immediately invalidate genetics as the work of the devil.

I appreciate that you are against abortion, but you are attempting to discredit it by its association, not on the basis of any real information.

15. rhester

Sishir Chang-
    I don't believe Planned Parenthood has the aim to wipe out minorities. I believe the underlying philosophy and the original intents of the movement have morphed to a population control agenda that targets groups. In other words there is a disproportionate affect upon lower income black women due to the philosophy that it is not good for the globe for them to have children they can't take care of. These children are not only unwanted by mothers (family planning training has indoctrinated this into a mindset- primarily with the justification that they are poor) but that these children are a problem to society at large. They are targeted for elimination.

This is a much bigger problem globally, whenever poor people or ethnic groups are targeted there is a god-like determination that there is something wrong with these targeted groups having children. The justification is always they are poor, uneducated and they can't take care of them. It is sometimes called stereo typing or profiling or racism.

If you do not think groups are targeted you have not read and studied much of the history of the family planning movement, especially as social welfare services moved into the inner cities.
    Now I grant you there is ALWAYS noble justification for this targeting. Ms. Sanger had noble justification for her efforts to "weed out" (her words) undesirables. But I don't think the right thing to do is assume that certain minorities are groups should be limited in the number of children they can have whether you do it like China by punishable criminal charges are you do it through government funded education, family planning clinics and advertisement that targets poor, less educated minorities.

I never said there was a conspiracy to exterminate minorities. There is a global initiative to promote 'Sustainable Growth' and 'Family Planning'- I think we should understand what is being said about these issues. I will go on the U.N. website and get you the information. Or you can do the leg work and report back. If you do not think African and Asian nations are not targeted I will try to provide you the info.

And abortion in European countries is also targeted to the lower class and minorities.

Let's look at it another way. If you study the recruitment programs of the U.S. army you will find that a disproportionate effort is given to enlist minorities. Black activists and democrats have recently been speaking out against these practices because they say they are racist. Why do they target minorities?

Now if you ask the wealthy and those in Congress why they are not pushing their young men and women (their own children) they will change the subject. Why are there no programs at all that target their children?

I will try to get some of the U.N. stuff posted if you are interested.

Alot of these issues are not good for debate because people are polarized by personal agenda, personal passion and political affiliation. Myself included.

I still personally believe that Margaret Sanger and her leaders and directors were racist and have set a philosophy in place that adds to the horrors of family planning. Profiling and Targeting.

If I were addressing abortion from a moral perspective I would first hate the murder of babies from a belief that the babies had no choice, they were denied their rights as humans.

It is against the law to murder a bald eagle EGG.
    Why, because of the high value given adult bald eagles by conservationists.

Conservationsts have figured out that bald eagles are valueable and that bald eagle eggs become bald eagles.

Family planners have given us new words to change our understanding of human babies (words like fetus) and they have taken away the value of a human denegrating it to less than a bald eagle.

The right answer might be that every woman has the right to a responsible husband in the home to love and protect the woman and provide the necessary care for the children. If that were the mantra of family planning instead of kill the baby I know we could build a society that valued children and valued responsibility on the part of parents. Babies are not made in a vacuum, the man and women should take equal responsibility and the men should provide care and education for the children.

This would be a far better long term project for our world instead of spending billions of dollars to provide abortions because the man got his sex and then skipped away leaving a woman all that
    "choice" we are being progammed to believe is the 'Solution'.

16. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Tuskeegee?
    Auschwitz? [mengala or something like that]

In human experiments can render some
    very useful results
    but they should not . .

1. be duplicated
    2. influence policy

Rocket River

17. rhester

Sishir Chang- while still on the soapbox I have a question-

I have four sons ages 25 down to age 7. I have taught all of my sons from the oldest to the youngest that if they make a baby they are responsible to provide for, love and care for both baby and mom. In fact I have taught them to be responsible and not make babies until they can be a responsible caring parent. I have taught them that they have a responsibility to love the mother and provide and care for her, to support her and to share in the raising of the children. They are responsible to care for the babies they make, to educate them and to teach them good character.
    They have been taught to be responsible for good choices and bad choices and to take responsibility even if they had an 'accident'.

Am I sending my sons the wrong message?

Because this is the root issue of abortion.

Trace the problem down to the root problem and we find men having sex without any responsibility like I have described.

Women having sex without considering the consequences.

Babies come from sex.

Now if I were to address the root problem progress could be made in the long term and solutions would create better conditions in our society.

Am I sending the wrong message to my sons?

Should I tell them they really shouldn't be taught responsibility for sex, abortion is funded by the government and you can lay women and then expect them to get abortions.

I cannot bring myself to send this message directly or indirectly to my sons, I love them too much. I have one daughter and I wouldn't want her to have men degrade her with an irresponsible mindset that said hey if we have sex and I go away, get an abortion.

Is the message I give my sons wrong for minorities?

Is it wrong for wealthy families?

Is it a bad message altogether?

Nobody at school has given them this message. Instead they are taught how to use contraceptives.

I know I am teaching them counterculture, but it has produced in them a deep respect for women and children. I they are responsible young men.

Is this so bad?

18. rimbaud

rimbaud Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I thought the root issue of abortion was racism? Now it is personal responsibility? Makes more sense but it seems you are in the wrong thread.

19. edwardc

edwardc Member

where do you find this .:confused: i would really like to read more.

20. rhester

I should have used the phrase 'root cause'

racism was a driver in the initial philosophy and intentions of family planning- that is the Sanger connection.

I don't think we have abortion today because racists are pushing it (at least to my knowledge) I do believe that the roots of racism have morphed into the social population problem everyone is so worried about.

I have just asked why these roots aren't examined. They are well documented and can be examined from both sides of the war.

Pro-lifers love to quote all the racist philosophies from the early days.

Pro-choicers love to quote all the noble idealism from the early days.

I wouldn't expect it to be any other way.

But understanding what was going on in Sanger's group and doing the research goes along way for me in understanding why population control is such a perceived problem in the abortion camp.

That's what I get from it. We target the poor and minorities. We profile and we stereo type.

All the things in other areas that are screamed about as being racist.