1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Aaron Sanchez debut: combined No hitter!

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Htown Legend, Aug 3, 2019.

1. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

My wife asked if it was over because Biagini's walk...

I just stared at her, since obviously no, but also because there had already been 3 walks at that point.

2. the shark

the shark Member

I agree. Any no hitter is a huge accomplishment (even at the little league level).

What made this even more special is it was on the night of the induction of the Astros HOF (with many of the players in attendance).

Also, read this morning that this was Houston's 12th no no (trailing only the Dodgers who have 13).

Tfor3, Killatron 2000 and awc713 like this.
  3. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

A no-hitter is always awesome, but in terms of this being treated like a home run of a trade, it was one game against a bad team. I suppose the Gomez trade was a home run since Fiers threw that no-no.

Mark likes this.
  4. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

5. AWIN

AWIN Member

In the history of MLB there have only been 14 combined no hitters, so pretty cool on that note yes even against a bottom dweller.

More rewarding is the story behind it; Sanchez just getting traded and starting winless since April with a 6.07 ERA, to win a game like last night and instantly bond with his new team is special.

6. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

It was fun. Not sure whether trade works out in long run, but feels good any time you win games leading into three games with your aces starting.

awc713 likes this.
  7. Buck Turgidson

I really liked "The Glory of Their Times" by Lawrence Ritter

[​IMG]

T for 3 likes this.
  8. Buck Turgidson

Hell, Nolan's in town, they need to talk about pickle brine.

solid likes this.
  9. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

I get what you're saying... but I caution use of the word "trade"... Derek Fisher was not going to be a contributor on this team, nor on any future Astros team, especially with the emergence of Straw.

Its amazing he still had any value whatsoever... in my mind, he was closer to Reed status (losing for nothing) vs. prospect status.

That, combined with Sanchez still looking to have good raw tools... just possibly underachieving... and then blowing the roof off his debut... and I think some excitement (along with anger from Blue Jays fans/rest of baseball) is completely warranted.

arkoe and BigM like this.
  10. xcrunner51

xcrunner51 Contributing Member

For all the trash talking of the Mariners as an organization, their fan base is informed and passionate. Lookout Landing has been one of the best baseball blogs on the internet and spawned several excellent baseball writers/editors like Jeff Sullivan.

That being said, it has well recognized that the site has a sardonic/self-deprecating bent and the coverage from last night was no different.

Last night's game recap was a perfect example of the dark, but humorous quality writing they produce.

And the opening line from this morning's link post is just hilarious:

awc713 and leroy like this.
  11. the shark

the shark Member

Yes it was "one" game and in that "one" game a no hitter was thrown. Was it a "home run of a trade"? Only time will tell but when a no hitter is thrown (especially at the MLB level) it's special and it's even more special that the 'Stros did it.

If Altuve (or any other Astro) went 5 for 5 in a game with 8 rbi's would it be diminished because it was against the Mariners?

12. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

"Dirty Sanchez" because his breaking ball was just plain NASTY last night.

13. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

But wouldn’t we all do that trade again without hesitation? Fiers helped keep our place in the standings which resulted in the #1 seed in the AL. Homefield turned out to be pretty important in 2017.

I don’t know how his trade will pan out but it looks like we filled 2 holes for a guy that had minimal future here. It was a no brainer move regardless of outcome.

RocketToVegas likes this.
  14. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn Member

#2 seed. Cleveland was the 1 seed by 1 or 2 games. The yanks were the wild card (beating the twins I think) and took down Cleveland crawling out from an 0-2 deficit in the divisional round, while we were beating the AL East (and 3rd best team in the AL) Red Sox in 4.
    The Astros have never had the best record in baseball. I’d love to see that change this year.

15. arkoe

arkoe (ง'̀-'́)ง

What if the pitcher's 15 and the opposing team is 12?

Harrisment likes this.
  16. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

My mistake. My point is still exactly the same.

17. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

[​IMG]

18. Tfor3

Tfor3 Member

Freaking awesome. Go Astros!

Crush City!

whiskeyred likes this.
  19. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

I didn’t get a chance to see the game but anyone have a vague idea how often Sanchez was throwing his curve? I think I saw he was only throwing it 20% of the time with the Blue Jays and it’s his best pitch.

20. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn Member

Something like a little under 20 percent in Toronto to a little over 30% last night.

Biggest difference was way more 4 seamer and way less 2 seamers.

#60 Wulaw Horn, Aug 4, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 4, 2019
    robbie380 likes this.