1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Aaron Brooks shoots too many 3s!

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by blink52y, Mar 4, 2010.

1. blink52y

blink52y Member

Aaron Brooks was 2-13 last night from downtown.

He is averaging 6.5 attempts per game. While his 3p fg% is not bad (38%), I think rather then go around a pick and launch up a 3 every time he should look for the roll and pass the ball more. We need a PG with at least 6-7 apg. We now have a shooter in Kevin Martin, I just do not see the need to hoist up that many 3s!

Averaging 6.5 attempts a game this season is ridiculous!
    He has attempted more 3 pointers then anyone in the league while not even in the top 20 in percentage.

He is a POINT GUARD, NOT A SHOOTING GUARD!!!

Am I the only one that feels this way?? :confused:

2. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

A 40% 3pt shooter can shoot as many as he wants.

3. Rookie34

Rookie34 Member

First of all, he is a 'shooting point guard' (shoot first, pass later). But if he makes those shots, he would go for 11-13 last night. That's the risk you take with Aaron ... but I understand, I hope Lowry will be our starting PG (next season).

4. OremLK

OremLK Member

This.

5. blink52y

blink52y Member

Maybe you're right but Id just rather have a pg who passes first, then shoots. Getting Scola more involved in the post, pass to the cutters like bud and drive and dish to guys like Shane.

I dont know, Im just a frustrated rockets fan. I hate seeing us lose at home to teams like the Kings and Pacers. . .

6. Spiegel

Spiegel Member

Looks like brooks is the new scapegoat around here.

7. BucMan55

BucMan55 Contributing Member

Except in regards to last night's game Bill Worrell said it himself that the team was just standing around. Alot. Tough to pass to cutters who aren't cutting, or are covered when they do cut. I wonder how much Landry helped the Kings defend Houston, and how much Martin helped Houston defend the Kings.

8. trugoy

trugoy Member

shooting 3s is his redemptive quality, not his downfall, if he couldn't shoot 3s he'd be out of the league.

The only reason he is an NBA player is his ability to shoot the 3 at a high percentage.

If anything he should shoot more 3s but not as a starting PG but as a microwave off the bench.

9. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Every Rockets team must have one

Rocket River

10. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

All these knee jerk threads blaming one player for a team loss are expected. Or in this case complaining about a shooter, shooting TOO much. :rolleyes:

11. blink52y

blink52y Member

Defiantly not blaming brooks for the loss!

I personally love brooks, just was looking through stats and saw that on most night we lose, Brooks shoots lots of threes. Last 6 losses, Brooks shot more then 6 3s.

12. Jeff Who

Jeff Who Member

The Rockets knew what the were getting in Brooks. He is not a real pg. He is not a playmaker.

13. dreamfellas21

dreamfellas21 Member

WRONG. he does NOT shoot too many.

one of our best scorers. one of a couple that can consistently create offense for us right now.

14. OremLK

OremLK Member

Have you ever heard the term "correlation is not causation"?

That is applicable here.

15. yearning

yearning Rookie

LMAO

Then he shall play streetball instead.
    It is a TEAM. :eek:

16. RocketRaccoon

RocketRaccoon Contributing Member

Corrected and add: at all times and no matter the circumstance.

17. OremLK

OremLK Member

:rolleyes:

The point is, a 40% three-point shooter is helping his team by shooting more threes, because at that percentage it's an efficient way to score points.

As long as Brooks is shooting a good percentage he can take whatever shots he thinks he can make. If he starts taking too many bad shots, his 3P% will drop, and at that point he should take less. But as long as he's scoring efficiently? Fire away, Aaron.

18. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

A player shooting >40% should take more 3's.

AB had an AWFUL night but he's a good shooter.

19. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

I don't mind him taking all those 3s, it would have been better if he was making them though.

DD

20. Big MAK

Big MAK Member

He's a shooter, and can typically hit them. Let the shooters shoot. Quit b****ing every time someone on the team has a bad game.