1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

A Trade That Makes Sense...

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by JAG, Feb 3, 2002.

1. JAG

JAG Member

I', probabaly just putting 2 and 2 together and coming up with 5,but amidst all the trade speculation floating around , if there is anything to Cleveland wanting to unload Miller, a trade that makes sense to me is Miller going to the Clippers, with extra, for Odom and McGinnis. The extra coming from Cleveland could be any number of players, to even it out and make the $ work, but the principles seem logical to me...Any thoughts, or any ideas of other non-Rockets trades which you think work?

2. mduke

mduke Member

ohhh, the clips would be VERY scary then, imagine this lineup...

C:Kandi
    PF: Brand
    SF: Maggette
    SG: Miles
    PG: Miller

you would have Quentin Richardson comin' off the bench....

3. mfclark

mfclark Member

Looking at it, you think the talent overwhemlingly is in favor of the Clips...but in the end, it really doesn't. It makes one less player the Clippers have to pay good money to, eliminates a logjam at SF, and brings in a pure distributor. If Maggette and/or Richardson can become a great scorer, that team would be scary, especially with Olowokandi playing like he is right now (re: insanely).

4. kidrock8

kidrock8 Member

Odom is prob not wanted anywhere. He is the J-Will of SF's.

5. LAfadeaway33

LAfadeaway33 Member

With Andre Miller on the Clippers the Clippers would be one of the highest scoring teams in the league. They're the next Sacramento Kings.

6. Gutter Snipe

Gutter Snipe Contributing Member

Was McGinnis expecting big money or something? If not, they'd just be trading one player who wants big money for another.

I think the Clippers owner would rather build on the Lakers model, with 2 high-priced excellent talents, and 3-5 role players.

I guess they could build with Brand and Miller, but the problem with a pass-first guard is that you need good talent to surround him. Brand is really good and really consistent - but he's not a game-breaker.

7. mfclark

mfclark Member

McInnis is definately going to be looking for money - especially after the Clips kept him at the minimum this season. With a lack of PGs in free agency this season, he could get $5-$6m a year.

The Clippers could build on the Lakers model, except they don't have the dominant players to do it successfully (re: titles). Something along the Bucks, Kings, or Mavs model would be better, with several athletic swingmen and frontcourt strength at PF.

With an emerging Maggette and Richardson, Darius Miles still in the fold, Brand being a top 5 PF, and Olowokandi shedding the bust label (well, right now at least) - bringing in a top flight PG like Miller to simply distribute the ball would bring all of their talents to the forefront. I don't see it getting done, but it would give Donald Sterling an out in that case.

And isn't the Cleveland coach (John Lucas?) the guy who has resurrected troubled careers, especially in drug cases? Perhaps he could get the most out of Odom. With him, McInnis, Murray, and Person, they'd have a nice backcourt.