1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

A team for Cato

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by crash5179, May 26, 2001.

Tags:
  1. Band Geek Mobster

The Washington Generals

2. Puedlfor

Puedlfor Contributing Member

The San Antonio Spurs.

------------------
    Charles Barkely on the Raptors defeating the Knicks in Round 1 :"I think it was the Lord. The Lord was with the Raptors. You know the Knicks like to talk so much about religion, but I think the Lord was a Raptor fan."

3. SteveFrancis3

SteveFrancis3 Contributing Member

If Floyd really does "love Cato" then we should send him there right away. We should try to get package some of our other players/picks to try and get Miller in return, or maybe their 4th draft pick! But otherwise just give them Cato for just a second round pick or something. Just get his huge salary out of our way!

------------------

4. win14me

win14me Contributing Member

My suggestion would be a sign-and-trade.

Chicago sign Hakeem for the contract he wants and trades him back to us for Cato.

We could sweeten the deal by offering to accept one second round pick from our previous deal.

Hakeem gets his contract without hurting our cap, Chicago gets a 7 footer and gets compensated for taking on that contract. I can't imagine enough compensation for taking on Cato though.

------------------

5. win14me

Just would like to add that I am under the impression, perhaps incorrectly, that the sign-and-trade restrictions do not apply when both teams are under the cap. Last time I read anything on the restriction it was designed to prevent teams from circumventing the salary cap restrictions, which does not apply in this case. Sorry if I am wrong.

------------------

6. Houstone

Houstone Member

Kelvin Cato belongs in a high school team.

7. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

You think he could get motivated enough to contribute to a 2a school? [​IMG]

------------------

8. RichRocket

RichRocket Member

How about Cato and Walt and a release of the two second-round draft picks owed to us for Voskuhl. Katy boy comes home!

------------------
    Time is a great teacher-- only problem is it kills all its pupils.

9. win14me

and I thought I was unrealistic.

I think I later discovered a "recently signed" trade restriction too.

------------------

10. JoeBarelyCares

JoeBarelyCares Contributing Member

If Vancover is desperate to get our 18th pick, maybe we could sucker them into a Cato package before the draft. Also, with Cato being a base-year player, doesn't he only count $2.7 mil or so against the cap (meaning we take less salary in return)? I would try Pick No. 18, Cato, Walt and $3 mill cash for Ike Austin (free agent next summer), Damon Jones and release of 1st round pick obligation. I think this would be a salary match. This would free up about $4 mil this summer, too.

------------------

11. ROCKETS1972

ROCKETS1972 Member

sounds like a good trade but Phoenix would want more then just Cato for Roberson We would have to either give up another player
    or the 13th or 18 pick but it is a way to get rid of Cato

------------------

[This message has been edited by ROCKETS1972 (edited May 28, 2001).]

12. barbourdg

barbourdg Contributing Member

I have a interesting thought, remember when Rod Strickland agreed to a cash buyout. Did they have a mutual lower agreed buyout, so Rod could move on?

If we sat CATO'S big ass on the end of the bench (not injured list!!!), with no playing time, except mabye the last 15 seconds of the games (just to piss him off), would this hurt his BIG EGO enough to motivate him to try to get out of his contract with Houston and move on like Rod Strickland did?

I am sure this would not work right away, but give it a few months or a few seasons and he would be begging to either leave Houston or be put on the injured list.

One last question, is there anyway that Rudy or CD can force unmotivated players into special offseasons routines to elevate their game?

------------------

13. win14me

While I am not an expert, off-season training must be a specific part of the contract, buy-outs the same way. Buy-out would save us money but not cap space. I also believe I am correct in saying that we are stuck with the contract, unless we waive him and someone else picks him up, but even then I think he shows up on our cap unless his new contract exceeds his current one.

Chicago would seem our best bet to me, even if we just got Voshkul. I understand he has shown good footwork and some low post moves, though neither with great effectiveness.

------------------

14. ROCKETS1972

ROCKETS1972 Member

Well I have been looking at catos numbers
    2 years ago he had 8.7 ppg and 6.00 rebounds
    per game if we keep him one more year play him alot more he could be a 10ppg 7rpg player that is still vary disapointing considering what we are paying him but he would be much easer to trade.

------------------

15. win14me

Agreed. I honestly think that might be the actual plan.

------------------

16. Stevierebel

Stevierebel Contributing Member

Didn't Cato just sit on the bench anyway this year as he had a high ankle sprain and other "injuries"(2 months I think)? The bench would just have more time to buy more gold. Next thing for him is his teeth. Then when he plays he will complain that the guards don't know how to pass. Last summer, Cato was supposed to of gone to CD's big man camp, it didn't help him at all. Cato is a BUST!!! Let's trade him for some sunblock because then we would know it was doing its job.

------------------
    Stevierebel

17. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

ROTFLMFAO! [​IMG]

------------------

[This message has been edited by crash5179 (edited May 28, 2001).]

18. Houstone

Houstone Member

Let's waive Cato and sign Bill Wennington to a long term contract. [​IMG]

19. jump shooter

jump shooter Contributing Member

What about Cato and some parts to Phoenix for Cliff Robinson. Would not surprise me in the least to see the rockets pull off something like this in the offseason escecially if they can aquire a big time shot blocker in the upcoming draft. Phoenix is starving for a shotblocking center especially with the defensive rule changes. In Cliff Robinson the rockets could bring the former 6th man of the year off the bench or either start him with either Taylor and Dream or C-Webb and Dream. Also the rockets end up saving about $23.5 million dollars from Cato's contract.

------------------

20. HOOP-T

HOOP-T Member

Vancouver, paging Vancouver.

------------------
    My doctor says I am bipolar. I am going to get a second opinion. I have never had intimate desires for polar bears.