1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

A team for Cato

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by crash5179, May 26, 2001.

Tags:
  1. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

can anyone think of a team that would be enterested in Cato and his big ass contract?

The more I think of it the more I think we are just stuck with that albotros of a contract through 2006. Much like we are stuck with Maloney's contract through 2005. Thats 8.5 mil in contract space with no return this year alone.

The only team I can think of that could absorb Cato's salery with out doing to much damage to their cap space is Chicago.

It would give the Bulls a legitimate seven footer to go with Brand and we could release them of their obligation to us regarding regarding the pick they owe us for Drew. In return I would gladdly except a future second round pick sometimes in the next decade or so.

------------------

2. GATER

GATER Contributing Member

crash5179 -
    Your point is a good one but it's worth remembering the Bulls have pick #4 in a big man draft AND the rights to Brad Miller. Both of which are less expensive alternatives to Cato. We can dream, can't we?

------------------
    GATER

3. Vengeance

Vengeance Contributing Member

If there was a way we could get Cato gone, and pick up Miller in the process, I'd be VERY happy.

But I'd also take that second rounder next decade as well [​IMG]

------------------
    blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah

4. Band Geek Mobster

A 2nd rounder from the Bulls any time during the decade is pretty much a 1st rounder since the Bulls will be horrible for many many many many many many many many many many many many many many more years to come, especially if CATO's their dominant big man.

HAHA, Cato a dominant big man, hahaha, I can't type that with a straight face...

------------------
    "Empire" had the better ending. I mean, Luke gets his hand cut off, finds out Vader's his father, Han gets frozen and taken away by Boba Fett. It ends on such a down note. I mean, that's what life is, a series of down endings. All "Jedi" had was a bunch of Muppets.

5. enbehay

enbehay Member

The Bulls, assuming they pick up Curry or Diop, will be center heavy. Remember, in addition to Brad Miller, they have Dalibor Bagaric (7-1, 280-lbs, 21 years old), Jake Voskuhl (a Houston boy out of U-Conn) and Dragan Tarlac (FA). Bagarac is intriguing because of his size and age. I watched him play several times last year and he had some really nice moments. Of course, most of the time he looked bewildered and lost, but I think a lot of that was because of European rookie-ness. Best of all, we might be able to get him for his #24-pick contract and little else. It's just a thought. Comments?

------------------

6. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

There is very little interest in Cato throughout the league but I think Minnesota just might take him because of their lack of front court strength, loss of their draft picks and limited cap room.

------------------

7. crash5179

OK I'm listening. Brake down the trade scenario for me.

I would be willing to send Cato and one of our picks (22nd) in this draft in exchange for one of their second rounder in the next 10 to twelve years or so.

------------------

8. rock

rock Member

The Houston Comets...

er... nevermind...

------------------

9. crash5179

doubt that he could make the cut...Tina Thompson and the rest wouldn't want a loaf like Cato. [​IMG]

------------------

10. NCSTATEFAN

NCSTATEFAN Member

How about Horace Grant of the Lakers. He could resign a one year deal with them, then do a sign and trade for Cato and the #22 DP.

------------------

11. crash5179

I would rather have Horry but I really doubt L.A. would make the deal regardless. If they would I would jump on it in a second though.

------------------

12. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

I would give Chicago their pick that they owe us back, along with our 22nd this year, and Cato for nothing in return. Just get that jack ass off our team!

------------------

13. ROCKETS1972

ROCKETS1972 Member

if the rockets agree to pay half of cato's
    salary they could get rid of him alot easer

------------------

14. crash5179

I would too. Unfortunately the NBA requires that we get something in return.

------------------

15. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I believe that that's against the rules:
    If I remember correctly $3mil is the most cash you can include in a trade.

------------------

16. MManal

MManal Member

The only way we'll be able to unload Cato is to take a similar bad contract in return. The front office made a miscalculation on this one as they did with Matt Maloney and will just have to live with it.

------------------
    Check out the Best Source for Draft Info

Draftsource.net

17. GATER

GATER Contributing Member

MManal -
    Don't think I've ever heard it verbalized any better.

Apart from Cato's attitude, what bothers me the most are Cato's hands. Like Robero Duran - manos de piedra.

------------------
    GATER

18. crash5179

What bothers me most is that he could be good...really good if he ever dedicated himself to it.

------------------

19. Sane

Sane Member

As much as I love Cato's potential:

Cato to Detroit
    for Mikki Moore and a first round pick sometime in the next 3 years.

OR
    Cato and a first rounder (22) to Minnesota for Nesterovic.

OR
    Cato for Brad Miller.....Miller hates Chicago, Floyd loves Cato.....

A lotta possibilities, nothing worth jumping at...Just one more year....a year as a STARTING center will cange everything....Ratliff turned around and did it, i'm surfe Cato can...

------------------

20. Rocket Addict

Rocket Addict Contributing Member

What about Portland?

I know I am probably going to get slammed for even mentioning this, but that team is destined to blow up, and we need a serious low-post threat.

Rasheed Wallace is probably going to be on the block, and in the name of team chemistry, they may just be desperate enough to take Cato and Williams back for him in a deal that includes Thomas and a draft pick. (Just make an extra seat on the bench for the team shrink.)

The quest for Webber is not looking good and Taylor is not the answer. In the Western Conference, you need real interior strength - not undersized power forwards that can't rebound.

With the trade above, we could still go out and sign a couple of old Rockets (Kevin Willis and Otis Thorpe) to play the 5 and add Christian Laetner to back up the 3 and 4. I would also like to see us pick up a defensive-minded guard like Erik Strikland.

That would give us the following lineup:

Center - Kevin Willis/Otis Thorpe
    Power Forward - Rasheed Wallace/Christian Laetner/Matt Bullard
    Small Forward - Draft Choice/Christian Laetner/Dan Langi
    Shooting Guard - Cuttino Mobley/Erik Strickland
    Point Guard - Steve Francis/Moochie Norris/Sean Colson

------------------

[This message has been edited by Rocket Addict (edited May 27, 2001).]