1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

A Rule Change Needed

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by Lil Pun, Jan 2, 2011.

Tags:
  1. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

2. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

pass interference needs to be a 15 yd penalty not a spot foul

3. BigBenito

BigBenito Member

I wouldn't want every pass interference to only be 15 yards, maybe if they have degrees of pass interference, like they have for facemasks. One spot foul, the other 15 yards, depending on the distance.

4. candlegreen

candlegreen Contributing Member

Then any time a defender is beat off the sideline, they'll just grab the player and take the 15 yards to not give up a TD....

5. Lil Pun

Lil Pun Contributing Member

They did away with the facemask penalties of 5 yards and now only have them 15 yards.

6. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

It's the most subjective call in all of football, and I hate it.

I would much rather see an under-reffed game with less passing than an over-reffed game where they throw all the damned time.

I also think that the offensive players should be able to set screens to help their teammates get open.

That would balance out things nicely and allow for some really interesting play calling.

And while we're at it, they should change the definition of "holding" to be more clear/easily noticed in the field of play.

I'm ok with rules that protect the players' safety (helmet hitting, chop blocking, etc), but otherwise... tone the rules down...

#26 DonnyMost, Jan 19, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 19, 2011
  7. BigBenito

BigBenito Member

I totally missed that rules change... :/

When did it happen? :confused:

8. Lil Pun

I don't think that would happen. They could technically grab them now and make them miss the ball and give up an automatic first down without even giving up 15 yards or a TD but defenders don't do that because teams don't like giving away first downs for free.

9. brooksstephens

That's a completely different situation. In the former, the defender has a choice between either huge gain/giving up a touchdown, or just a 15 yard penalty. I don't know how this plays out in college football, cause I hate college football, but I think it would become a problem in the NFL where players are very smart.

10. Lil Pun

The beginning of the 2008 season, I believe.

11. Lil Pun

Again, it's a first down either way and teams are not going to just give up first downs.

College football is just 15 yards regardless of where it happens.

12. DonnyMost

Supporting Member

I've seen college games where players, 30+ yards down the field, blatantly commit PI to prevent longer gains and touchdowns.

13. Lil Pun

Maybe, I'll admit I don't watch near as much college football as I do NFL. Anyway, I am not a proponent or opponent of changing pass interference rules, just giving my .02 on what I think would happen. :)

14. DonnyMost

Supporting Member

It's not super common or anything, but I think it happens more in college simply because of how much teams throw. I don't think it would be a major problem in the NFL.

15. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I think the refs usually do a pretty good job on pass interference calls. Of course there are bad call but it's hardy so rampant that major overhaul is needed.

I would certainly prefer the refs to be more conservative on calls and allow a little contact but oh well.

16. mugrakers

mugrakers Member

OP must have been a lineman lolz

17. Lil Pun

Safety actually.

18. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

one could also consider that offensive pass interference isn't called nearly as often as it seems to occur. The NFL won't push to change this, because as with most sports, more scoring is usually better than less, but you see a lot of offensive pass interference that isn't called (maybe it's not "technically" pass interference, but certainly looks like it).

Moreover, a lot of times the offensive player will give a slight pull or tug to a defender that isn't entirely noticeable but gets the defender off balance and occasionally results in defensive pass interference.

also, i'm not entirely sure, but as i understand it, whether or not the defender has turned his head and spotted the ball and made a play on it factors in somehow to whether or not interference happens/is called. I don't really understand this. I think defenders should be able to defend without physically impeding the offensive player (i.e. through grabs, early hits, etc.) - i think "face-guarding" or blind swatting off the ball, if done without physical interference, just seems like good defense to me.

19. Major

Major Member

I think the way it works is that you can make more contact if you're looking for the ball - because then you're just like another receiver and it's "incidental contact". I'm pretty sure you can faceguard and blindly swat the ball without being called for PI as long as you don't make contact or impede the receiver from getting to the ball.

Where the problem really occurs is on balls thrown short. The receiver stops or slows down to come back to or wait for the ball; the defender has no idea and is chasing the receiver and runs into him. That's PI. If the defender is looking back at the ball and runs in to the receiver, I think it's not PI.

20. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

idk i saw the jets win a game against denver early this year with a bogus hail mary pi. they got the ball on the 1 yd line and won a game they would have otherwise lost. that's why i don't like the spot foul.