1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

A Rule Change Needed

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by Lil Pun, Jan 2, 2011.

Tags:
  1. Lil Pun

Lil Pun Contributing Member

Is anybody else sick of wide receivers constantly complaining, jumping up and down while motioning for a flag to come out because they believe they were interfered with? It's getting a bit ridiculous in my opinion and I think a flag should be thrown on the wide receiver and some type of yardage penalty put in place. What do you think?

Anything else you think should or shouldnt be penalized?

2. Shaud

Shaud Member

So like a technical foul?

But then you would have to flag QB's when they complain about not getting a late hit call. Or lineman complaining about holding.

3. Shaud

Shaud Member

I think they should get rid of the pass interference call when a defender doesn't look back at the ball. If the defender doesn't look back but doesn't touch the receiver than they shouldn't call pass interference.

4. J.R.

J.R. Member

Blame Tom Brady :p

<iframe title="YouTube video player" class="youtube-player" type="text/html" width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/zSSnQrhUKpE" frameborder="0"></iframe>

Apples to oranges comparison but I agree. Ridiculous when they beg for the flag, looking for the bailout.

5. BucMan55

BucMan55 Contributing Member

As far as I know, this rule is in place. It's only after contact without looking for the ball that the flag is thrown.

No look, no contact, no flag

Look, light contact, usually no flag

No look, light contact, usually flag.

Basically "playing the ball" allows the defender to make contact without getting an automatic flag like it used to be.

6. Lil Pun

Those don't really seem as prevalent as the receivers complaining for a flag, at least in my view.

7. Shaud

Shaud Member

I have seen it called on a play where the corner didn't touch the receiver. Might have just been a bad call though.

8. Landlord Landry

I don't think the WRs throwing their hands up sways an officials decision one way or the other.

9. arkoe

arkoe (ง'̀-'́)ง

I still don't understand why false starts are penalized when the defensive line can jump all over the place and basically due anything they want on their side of the line.

I also don't like watching the defensive line run over the line of scrimmage if they think the offensive line committed a false start in an attempt to make the refs throw a flag. At the least to me that needs to be fined in the kangaroo court.

10. Steve_Francis_rules

I think that's because the camera is always on the receiver after the pass attempt. It's not on the quarterback after he throws the ball and it's almost never focusing on the linemen.

11. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

They can't.

If they jump around (and over the line of scrimmage), and then the offense moves, its encroachment on the defense.

12. professorjay

professorjay Contributing Member

Basically Stern's new rule in the NBA.

I don't think it's necessary, but if they made the rule they should apply it to every position.

13. Lil Pun

I think he's stating that offensive players get called for the slightest twitch while defensive players have more freedom.

14. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Well, that's always been the case. Offense has the advantage of starting whenever they want, and the defense has to react.

The defense can adjust at the line of scrimage to what the offense is setting up to do.

15. vinsensual

vinsensual Member

Exactly, additionally the defense can't be in the neutral zone when the play starts either and the QBs protected from any contact that comes from botched plays.

But there did seem to be an increase of late PI flags this year.

16. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

They don't because it's not interference if they don't make contact. It's only interference if the defender makes contact and isn't making a play on the ball.,

17. david_rocket

david_rocket Member

why only Tom Brady? almost all the time that Peyton Manning complains about a flag, he gets one too.

and the colts always get some very dubious PI call or roughing the passer call.

I saw the same play on Manning, and in other QB, and the call the "roughing the passer" on Manning.

18. J.R.

J.R. Member

Yeah, like just a play or two ago from Holmes(or was it Edwards)

1 person likes this.
  19. BigBenito

BigBenito Member

It was Holmes... and it was also pass interference.

1 person likes this.
  20. brooksstephens

If the offensive line was allowed to jump and move any which way they pleased... could you imagine the ridiculousness of the pre-snap?? The offense could draw on offsides penalty on every play until they're inside the 5. As someone else stated, the offense has an advantage of starting the play whenever they want to.

For your other point, if the defense runs past the line of scrimmage to try to make the refs call a false start, and it wasn't a false start, then it's a penalty on the defense. But if it actually was a false start then they will throw the flag and it would have been thrown regardless. Don't have a problem with it.

As for the OP, I agree totally. It's soo annoying to see the WR's throw a tantrum on every pass that they don't catch. I think they should make it a 10 yard penalty and loss of down(because of the incomplete pass).