1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

A question for the Christians out there

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by cmiller, Aug 27, 2005.

Tags:
  1. rhadamanthus

rhadamanthus Contributing Member

I agree. But there is a reliance on mono-culture - I don't think it can be denied.

You are an amazing person. Thanks again for the polite debate.

And yes - I believe it is in Leviticus: "MadMax shall purchase Mexican food for all." :)

2. rhester

rhester Contributing Member

I agree so who is buying lunch?

3. wnes

wnes Contributing Member

Let me repost my question to our Christian friends.

To answer critics who say "the Bible writers believe the earth was flat," ChristianAnswers.net says this claim is false by countering it with a number of Biblical citations.

Here's one of them:
    Now look at the cited Scripture:
    Is there anything here that remotely suggests the earth is spherical? Look, the world circle is only to describe the shape of the area covered under the "big tent" heaven, and has nothing to do with the 3-demensional earth.

If this is not a flat out (pun intended) manipulation by ChristianAnswers.net, I don't know what is.

4. rocketstrike

rocketstrike Member

it doesn't say it's flat either sir

5. wnes

wnes Contributing Member

No need for red herring, stick to the argument please.

Does that particular citation by ChristianAnswers.net offer a piece of explanation that the earth is spherical?

EDIT: BTW, is the shape of circle used to refer to 2- or 3-dimension?

#165 wnes, Aug 30, 2005
    Last edited: Aug 30, 2005
  6. rocketstrike

rocketstrike Member

I'm trying to stick to the argument...I'm not saying they're right, I'm just saying you can't say the bible is wrong for a different kind of language. You assume that it is talking about a flat earth.

7. rhester

It means that Isaiah wrote 700 years before Christ and stated that the earth was round, which is the literal translation of the hebrew word chuwg or 'circle'

He wasn't a scientist, he was a prophet of God.

8. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Gee, you mean there may be a translation issue from a book written hundreds of years ago? I suspect if you ask a number of folks to describe the shape of the moon, they would say circle as opposed to sphere. If that is the best evidence you have of trying to prove whatever point you're trying to make, try again.

9. rhadamanthus

rhadamanthus Contributing Member

I'm hestitant to call them a minority period. You say I need to meet more christians... Not to be offensive, but maybe you need to as well?

10. wnes

wnes Contributing Member

Good try, rhester.

First, he merely said the "area" covered by the "tent" was something of a circle. Cover a piece of paper with a bowl (upside down), and what's under the bowl is a circle - regardless of the original shape of paper.

Second, "round" can be used to describe both 2-D and 3-D, while "circle" is only for 2-D, and "spherical" only for 3-D.

Third, are switching concepts and interchanging words (at convenience) the best you guys can offer to convince "non-believers?"

#170 wnes, Aug 30, 2005
  11. wnes

wnes Contributing Member

I love you guys' lame strategies.

The moon, as it is viewed by us on earth from such a distance, is a circle. I am not disputing that perception.

Look, it's ChristianAnswers.net's choice to use that particular verse as one of the evidences in the Bible that says the earth is "spherical", to counter the claim of "critics". No more shifting topics please.

What are you are saying now, the Bible is not reliable, or the translation is not reliable, or the Bible is subject to different interpretations?

#171 wnes, Aug 30, 2005
  12. rhester

Easy, easy, I wasn't trying to convince you of anything!

I don't remember the word something being used, I think you added that, nor is the example of a piece of paper consistent with what was said...
    I only said that the word circle in the original Hebrew is round.

And the tent is not referring to the earth it is referring to the heavens.

Just read it as it reads, he that sits on a round earth.

Simple as it reads.

If you want to be convinced as a non-believer contact me and I will be glad to try.

13. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

Jesus told me to.

Mathew 28:18
    And Jesus came and spake unto them, saying, All power is given unto me in heaven and in earth.

Mathew 28:19
    Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost:

Mathew 28:20
    Teaching them to observe all things whatsoever I have commanded you: and, lo, I am with you alway, even unto the end of the world. Amen.

14. wnes

wnes Contributing Member

I'd love you show some evidence/proof to me on this. On the other hand, why the translator didn't use the word "round?" Wasn't this world available in English at the time of translation?

Where did I say the tent is referring to earth? What I wrote was clear enough:
    You are confusing yourself, rhester.

15. rhester

Strong's Hebrew Dictionary- chuwg- circle, round, to draw a circle, circuit

I don't know why it was translated circle, I just offered that the word also can be translated round and circuit also.

You said -the "area" covered by the "tent" was something of a circle
    that isn't true what the scripture says is- It is he that sitteth upon the circle of the earth- the he is God and the circle is the earth.

My only point is that all that is said is the earth is a circle.

The difference between circular and spherical is simple.

A basketball is circular when viewed from above.
    Our sphere of influence is limited when viewed from below. :)

16. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

has someone here mistreated you?

17. rhester

I do that often, and I apologize for it.

18. wnes

wnes Contributing Member

Not saying that.

19. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

then there's really no need to speak that way. you can have a civilized debate and conversation without putting people down.

20. wnes

wnes Contributing Member

Even if the Hebrew word "chuwg" can be translated into either "circle" or "round", it does not mean "circle" equates "round" in English. Looks to me you guys are trying by any means to avoid disputing the hollowness of the explanation from ChrisitanAnswers.net by using this particular verse of the Bible. I have no problem at all with the verse itself. All I was saying is the application of it at attempting to counter critics' claim is poor. A stretch at best, and manipulation at worst.