1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

A question for the Christians out there

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by cmiller, Aug 27, 2005.

Tags:
  1. rhester

rhester Contributing Member

I see that and agree completely.

I was thinking the context of what you said was 'this religion is the truth' or 'that religion is the truth'. All religions cannot be the 'truth'. And if the truth is a mixture of many religions then one on it's own cannot be the truth either.

I would never say that a Buddist was wrong for loving someone or treating someone with respect. Nor would I advocate hurting anyone (especially murder) because they held to a different belief. Christians would die themselves rather than murder someone else.

If you wanted to bomb my church I wouldn't hate you. And I would never bomb a mosque, abortion clinic or public school. That is not Christianity- that is religious abuse and deception.

Read the Bible, the words in Red are the words of Jesus Christ, His message is very clear.

2. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

ahh...now i understand you....and that makes perfect sense. to the extent there is overlap among various faith traditions, those "truths" can not be denied without denying one's own faith. assuming you're not atheist :)

3. rhester

True and that is the one truth we must get right, what ever religion we look at or combination thereof.

4. rhester

So why don't we all get together for Mexican Food, Madmax's treat? :D

5. rhadamanthus

rhadamanthus Contributing Member

Two points:

1) I know many, many "non-religious" people. Very few would fall into the violently atheist group you portrayed here. Almost all of them are (for the most part) resistant to mono-culture. However, the vast majority of christians (obviously I exclude you and Max) DO find solace in mono-culture. Deny it all you want - but you and Max are not "normal" christians with regard to your tolerance and open-minded debate.

2) For the last time - lawsuits against christian displays/prayer/whatever in public institiutions is protecting that pesky "freedom of religion" cluase that allows you to worship! You CANNOT have it both ways. If it feels like christiantiy is being picked on - perhaps you should bother to ask yourself why groups like the ACLU see christian groups as the largest threat to civil liberties. What actions might worry those of us who don't want a government beholden to religious interests? And what groups tend to be the most vocal/active in this arena?

6. rocketstrike

rocketstrike Member

mexican sounds could right now!!!

7. MadMax

Jesus didn't say anything about me buying you guys Mexican food.

:p

8. MadMax

i think you need to meet more christians. the guys on TV and the protesters holding up signs that says "God hates _____" are a very vocal minority....and, frankly, don't conform to the teachings of Christ. i'm hesitant to call them a minority because i'm not certain they fall within the brotherhood of believers, to begin with. God loves them anyway, though.

9. rhester

Come on Max, He did feed 5000 with a couple fish and loaves! :D

10. rocketstrike

rocketstrike Member

I think it's in the Davinci Code. The book mentions a lost gospel of Jesus saying Mexican food is on MadMax ;)

11. rhester

I really appreciate you saying it that way (even though I don't want to be an example- I have many flaws- better look at Jesus and the Bible for the real deal), because probably contrary to popular belief I do 'listen' and ponder posts, weigh opposing thoughts and opinions, consider the 'other' side and try to change if nothing else my own attitudes if needed.

I am a pastor, finished school in Bible School, have been preaching for 24 years so you must somewhat anticipate my opinions and posts. Just take them with a grain of salt, if you 'listen' maybe there is something there for you.

If not the debate itself is fun. :)

12. MadMax

i guess if i brought a can of sardines and a loaf of Mrs. Baird's, we might end up with a fajita buffet! :)

13. MadMax

I think you misunderstood. It's in the Gospel of Thomas. It says that MadMax actually IS Mexican food. It's an obscure passage, but one you'll remember, I'm sure.

14. rocketstrike

rocketstrike Member

That would be sweet!

15. MR. MEOWGI

MR. MEOWGI Contributing Member

You are what you eat.

16. rhester

That settles it.

I give an offer though- If a semi large group from D&D here, from the Houston area want to get together (especially those with different viewpoints) and have a lunch or dinner (and the crowd is under 20-25) My church could possibly sponsor the meal. (there are church leaders who would have to give me approval)- only if Madmax can make it in case I need a body guard! ;)

if you feel the urge let me know.

Warning- the talk will probably be Rocket talk. Let's have some fun on lunch or afternoon.

17. MadMax

you just blew my mind! :)

18. MadMax

yeah, i'm such an intimidating presence...clearly bodyguard is my calling. :)

19. rhester

OK, BigTexx can come and take care of both of us violent religious types.

20. rocketstrike

rocketstrike Member

I wish I was in the Houston area...right now I live in a small town in Michigan.