1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

A Look at Next Weekend's Big College Football Games

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by Manny Ramirez, Oct 20, 2002.

1. Manny Ramirez

Manny Ramirez The Music Man

Man, I wish this coming Saturday was already here!

Some monster games on tap including these:

Miami at West Virginia - I know that you are probably sitting there wondering why I put this game on here but WV is 5-2 and has one of the better running games in the country led by Avon Coubourne. However, they don't have the athletes like FSU but Miami wins a game closer than many think.

Penn State at Ohio State - One of 3 big games left for the Buckeyes along with Minnesota and Michigan (both of those games are at home), this one could be the most dangerous. For some reason after struggling with Wisconsin, I think that OSU will have little problems in beating PSU; however, I still think they will lose to someone probably Michigan (sorry BK).

Georgia at Kentucky - A very dangerous road game to say the least for the Dawgs as Kentucky is playing really well coming off a road win against Arkansas. The key will be to get pressure on Lorenzen aka J-Lo if the Dawgs want to win. The Wildcats always play Georgia tough but the Dawgs always find a way to win against them. This could be one of Georgia's toughest games left before the SEC Championship Game.

Notre Dame at Florida State - The buck stops here for the Irish. The Noles show the world what a lot of people already know...the Irish have been overachieving. I will be literally in shock if Notre Dame wins this game.

Iowa at Michigan - A huge game with Rose Bowl implications...I'm gonna go with a surprise and pick the Hawkeyes to upset the Wolverines in Ann Arbor.

Iowa State at Texas - ISU not nearly as bad as they looked at OU but I still find it hard to see them winning this game. However, I think it is closer than people think as the Cyclones rebound from that dismal performance but they don't have quite enough to pull off the upset.

USC at Oregon - It's a good thing that the Ducks lost yesterday as they have about every tough game it seems at Autzen Stadium! This is a huge game for Rose Bowl implications on the Pac-10 side. I look for Oregon to bounce back from the loss to ASU.

Alabama at Tennessee - Tide coming off an impressive smashing of Ole Miss 42-7 while UT coming off bye. Both teams pretty much out of the SEC Championship as Alabama is on probation and UT has 2 losses (to Florida and Georgia). But the Vols desperately need a win to try to get to a good bowl game. Whether they can beat Bama and win any other big games for that matter, depends on the health of Casey Clausen. If he can't go, then I have a hard time seeing Tennessee beating Alabama or anyone else good like Miami.

My predictions for next weekend:

Miami over West Virginia
    Ohio State over Penn State
    Georgia over Kentucky
    Florida State over Notre Dame
    Texas over Iowa State
    Iowa over Michigan
    Oregon over USC
    Alabama over Tennessee

Top 5 will remain Miami, Oklahoma, Va Tech, OSU, and Georgia.

2. mduke

mduke Member

Miami over West Virginia
    Penn State over Ohio State
    Kentucky over Georgia
    Florida State over Notre Dame
    Texas over Iowa State(by a field goal)
    Iowa over Michigan
    USC over Oregon
    Alabama over Tennessee

Top 5 after next week:
    Miami
    OU
    Virginia Tech
    Texas
    Florida State, after blowing out Notre Dame

3. 4chuckie

4chuckie Member

WV is a tough place to play, rowdy fans (think urine bombs and every thing else being tossed at the opponenets) I don't think the Mountaineers have enough to beat them but FSU showed what a good running game can do. Miami by 10.

OSU never has problems with PSU at home. I'll be at the game. OSU by 11.

I hope FSU destroys Notre Dame. I hate to think of them being undefeated. Something tells me there is a secret formula which says if Notre Dame is undefeated they play in the Championship game! :) FSU by 2.

I think Michigan will destroy Iowa. Michigan is playing well. Michigan by 14.

#3 4chuckie, Oct 20, 2002
    Last edited: Oct 20, 2002
  4. Puedlfor

Puedlfor Contributing Member

Texas is going to roll ISU. One man teams don't do so well vs good defenses.

5. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

Miami over West Virginia
    OSU over Penn
    Georgia over Kentucky
    Notre Dame over FSU - I think I have 3 different bets on this game. No way Irish D gets blown out.
    Texas over Iowa State
    Iowa over Michigan
    Oregon over USC
    Tennessee over Bama

6. BrianKagy

BrianKagy Contributing Member

Good post Manny. Entertaining read.

I'm willing to bet anyone who wants to take Penn State to win in Columbus.

7. kidrock8

kidrock8 Member

Miami over WVU
    Penn State over Ohio State
    UGA over Kentucky
    FSU over ND (who was the the last team with any speed has ND faced?)
    UT over ISU
    Iowa over Michigan (more overrated than ND)
    USC over Oregon (USC's defense is pretty good, by Pac-10 measures, and do the unthinkable and beat Oregon @ Eugene, for Oregon's 2nd home loss in a row)
    Bama over Tennessee

8. michecon

michecon Contributing Member

Three letters for you: ASU

9. Mr.Scary

Mr.Scary Member

Miami over WVA
    Ohio State over PSU (gotta work or I would be there-Go Bucks!)
    Georgia over UK
    FSU over ND
    UT over ISU
    UM over Iowa
    Oregon over USC
    Tennessee over Alabama

10. drapg

drapg Member

Miami over West Virginia
    OSU over PSU
    Georgia over Kentucky
    Notre Dame over FSU
    UT over ISU
    Michigan over Iowa
    USC over Oregon
    Alabama over Tennessee

top 5 stay the same

11. oomp

oomp Contributing Member

I'm going to curse my beloved Hawkeyes for saying this...

Miami over West Virginia
    Ohio State over Penn State
    Georgia over Kentucky
    Notre Dame over FSU
    Iowa St over Texas
    Iowa over Mich
    USC over Oregon
    Alabama over Tennessee

anytime I say in public that i like the hawks - they lose.

but here goes...

Iowa in the Rose Bowl!

12. mfclark

mfclark Member

Miami over WVa
    --> Cobourne will give Miami fits; however, their o-line is nowhere near as good as Florida State's, and their passing game isn't on that level either.

Penn St. over Ohio St.
    --> Ohio St. is overrated. So is Penn St., but they should be able to beat the Buckeyes.

Georgia over whoever they play
    --> They won't be looking ahead to Florida.

Florida St. over Notre Dame
    --> This game won't be close. I'll be in the endzone opposite the band, smack dab in the middle of the goalposts in row 17...and it should be a sweet game.

Iowa over Michigan
    --> But just barely.

Iowa State over Texas
    --> Texas' D is nowhere near as good as OU's defense, and I don't think it'll be played on a wet field on Saturday either. It'll be close, but ISU should rebound.

USC over Oregon
    --> Probably with a final score of 63-60, in overtime.

Alabama over Tennessee
    --> Too bad it doesn't matter for Alabama, they're ineligible for postseason play. If Clausen doesn't play much, then the game may not be close.

Fiesta Bowl, as of now: Miami vs. OU
    Fiesta Bowl, as of Jan. 4th: Va Tech vs. Georgia

13. Desert Scar

Desert Scar Contributing Member

Miami over West Virginia
    Penn State over Ohio State (provided no more terrible calls)
    Georgia over Kentucky (Battleship Lo is bigger but Green is better)
    FSU over Notre Dame (first time the Irish have a speed deficit)
    Texas over Iowa St(but not easy, Texas rarely makes things easy)
    Iowa over Mich (Iowa's O is multidimensional & humming)
    USC over Oregon (the much better defense belongs to Troy)
    Tennessee over Alabama (Tenn starts putting things together)

14. Manny Ramirez

Manny Ramirez The Music Man

I'm surprised that so many people are picking against the Quack Attack. I just don't see Bellotti letting them lose 2 in a row at Autzen Stadium, but USC does look for real this season.

Also, bad news for Georgia fans (that would include me):

Musa Smith (their #1 RB), Fred Gibson (their best deep threat at WR), and Jon Stinchcomb (their best offensive lineman) are all probably out for this game against Kentucky.

I still think that Georgia wins, but it is going to be a lot tougher now. Hopefully, these guys can come back to play against Florida or at least against Auburn.