1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

A Good War Game for PC

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Lil Pun, Sep 29, 2001.

1. Lil Pun

Lil Pun Contributing Member

I was wanting to know if you guys know of any good war games for PC. I had this game once called "The Third World War" and it has been the best one so far. You could launch attacks, air raids, etc. on other countries, make treaties, declare war, set sanctions, watch budget and military, etc. I can't find it online at any auction site or store except for a Sega CD version. I would really like a game that involves strategy. So do any of you know a good war game for PC??? If you do please try to give a brief description, thanks.

2. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

It's not my type of gaming, but maybe others can help you. In the meantime, you may want to check out the reviews at www.gamespot.com in their "strategy" section for reviews. There are several combat sims that are popular; many which simulate real battles in history, but I'm not sure about any that have all that you seem to be looking for.

Here's another review site's "strategy" section : http://www.avault.com/reviews/index.asp?index=reviews_strategy

Another site to look for reviews :

www.gamesdomain.com

3. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Conquest Frontier Wars is a War Game in Space, with large fleet battles fighting over multiple maps at one time.

It is being reviewed very favorably, and I can guarantee you that you will get good support for it.

Why? Because my company made it.

It is basically a territorial conquest game with a setting in futuristic space.

Check out the official website for it, and download the demo it is free, and gives a small taste of our game play.

http://www.ubisoft.com/conquestfrontierwars/

If you get the demo, there is a nice HOW TO document in the root directory once you install it.

If you like Strategy, I Guarentee you will like this game.

DaDakota

4. coma

coma Contributing Member

-Command & Conquer series.

But also check out:

-Rainbow Six
    -Metal Gear Solid (ps2)

5. haven

haven Member

Civ 3, Europa Universals 2, and Mastor of Orion 3 are all coming out this winter, I believe.

I can't wait :D.

6. Vengeance

Vengeance Contributing Member

If you're looking for a RTS game, others have offered good suggestions.

But if you're interested in a "War Game" persay, in the same vein as the tabletop games, pick up "The Operational Art of War" -- It's the best "War Game" you'll find anywhere.

7. Bigman

Bigman Member

I like Red Alert 2 and Total Anihilation. Both are real time strategy games with land, sea and air options. After the recent events I've been playing these two more often. Them friggin Afghans wouldn't stand a chance. ;)

8. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Haven, you're a loser school punk, but I like your taste in PC games. :D

...except the way you spell "master"

9. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Good suggestion. I think people are confusing RTS with a true war game. Isn't there some game called "Combat" that's supposed to be pretty good now?

10. DaDakota

All RTS games are WAR games. You guys are just getting caught up in the semantics of what is and isn't a war game.

All you are really talking about is the implementation of the game, not whether or not it is a war game.

Heck, Risk is a war game too.

DaDakota

11. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Err... no. A War game is one that simulates actual battles for example. Sid Meier's Anteitum, Combat, Close Combat, etc. are war games.

Starcraft, Master of Orion, Warcraft, etc. aren't war games simply because you fly around shooting things or casting spells at things.

It's semantics, but there's definitely a difference between a war game and a game of war. For proof, just look at the newsgroups that are dedicated to strategies used in these games, types of infantry, armament, etc. They all play out the "what if Hitler had...", "what if the Battle of Dunkirk", etc. scenarios. It doesn't quite equate to "what if the Ferengi had photon torpedoes and aided the Romulans?". The latter is nowhere near as realistic as the former.

12. haven

haven Member

I almost lost my lunch after reading this one...

13. DaDakota

Explain to me how a "What if" is more realistic?

It is a "WHAT IF" for a reason.

War Games are a matter of perspective. Whether they are rooted in History or not is unimportant.

It is the tactical situations, and the strategy that matter.

War can be as small as 2 kids throwing rocks at each other, or massive fleets going at it in space.

There is no difference.

DaDakota

14. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Talonsoft has an Operational Art of War series based on the board games. You can find a link to it here.

They also had a turn based strategy game a while back that was REALLY addictive called Jagged Alliance II that broadly fits the requested description. It's easy to pick up, and not too overwhelmingly realistic. A good bargin bin pickup.

Description: Strap on your M16 and enter Jagged Alliance II, the game that takes the award-winning series to new levels, with a blend of role playing, strategy, and tactical combat. You'll have to test your courage in scorching fire fights, and challenge your strategic thinking by planning, exploring, and executing your own global plan of attack. Recruit your own perfect team of unique mercenaries. Interact with merchants, assassins, scientists and others in this deep and character-driven game. There are over 150 unique characters, and nonlinear gameplay that lets you fight, rest, explore, and plan as you see fit. The game has detailed environments with realistic lines of sight and nice high-color, high-resolution graphics. Hear your team come to life with thousands of lines of spoken dialogue, and choose between reality or sci-fi gaming styles.

EA came out with a game called Janes Fleet Command that was supposed to be hyper-realistic (I can't confirm for sure, as I've never commanded a fleet). It should be hitting the bargin bins about now as well. You can get a demo here. The only problem is because of the realistic nature there is a big learning curve.

Description: The world's mightiest arsenals are under your complete control in Jane's Fleet Command, designed to be the most realistic naval strategy simulation ever created (see screen shot). You give the orders and the entire battle group--fast frigates, Aegis guided-missile cruisers, nuclear submarines, nuclear-powered aircraft carriers, and each plane on them--follows your command. A combat direction screen allows you to survey the whole operation, while a 3D screen allows you to zoom in close and follow the action in real time. Designed under a partnership between Jane's Combat Simulations and the experts at Sonalysts--the same people who develop training software for the U.S. Navy--Jane's Fleet Command is designed to be truly the definitive naval strategy game.

There's another RTS called Real War which I haven't played but seems to be playing up the realism angle and the scenario seems to be chillingly close to reality.

Description: Rival's first commercial video game being published by Simon and Schuster Interactive is called Real War. Real War is a commercially adapted version of the military game called Joint Force Employment, released exclusively to the military. Standard RTS games currently on the market and in production focus on sci-fi, or historical scenarios. Real War is the only game that will focus on current Real technology. All units in the game are actual units used by our military or other militaries around the world.

The storyline of Real War is unique to say the least. The player can choose to be the US or the Independent Liberation Army (ILA). The story starts out by explaining that the US has just been bombed by terrorists resulting in a large number casualties. Using advanced technology the US military discovers where the bomb was actually made and plans a devastating attack. The ILA has a plan that could cause catastrophic results for the US.

Game highlights:

-Unlike all other RTS games on the market there's no harvesting in the game. You won't mine coal or gold or Tiberium or any thing like that. Instead you'll have supply points that you can spend to create units at any of your various supply bases. It will also be very important to protect your supply lines.

- War fighting across the Air, Land and Sea. Most RTS games currently on the market or in development concentrate on just land battles or sea skirmishes. Rival has a comprehensive force that lets you choose from an arsenal of several different types of aircraft, land vehicles and water units.

- Real war will have 60 different unit types. All units in the game are units currently used or have been used by militaries around the world. These units contain weapons that a modern day army could use to fight a war today.

- All vehicles are rendered in 3d though the game is 2D with foot soldiers as sprites. All units are beautifully rendered placed on realistic terrain maps.

- Since there is such a large arsenal of units, Rival has developed extra large playable maps to create simultaneous air, land and sea battles.
    You can get the demo here.

I'll list any more I can think of as I think of them.

#14 Ottomaton, Sep 30, 2001
    Last edited: Sep 30, 2001
  15. haven

haven Member

I have to disagree, there. War is word that connotes an advanced level of escalation. Lower level struggles might be termed disputes, skirmish, conflict, etc. But I think that war definitely does imply a greater degree of violence, and probably a greater degree of organization as well (as opposed to anarchy).

16. Lil Pun

Lil Pun Contributing Member

Hey guys, I'm just looking for a game that involves some strategy, land, sea, and air battles, and/or building an empire and taking over foriegn lands. I didn't mean to start a discussion on what war is. :rolleyes:

17. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Oh, then any of the above will do. Carry on. :p

Actually, try games like Total Annihilation (one big frag-fest), Command & Conquer, etc.