1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

A good article regarding Griffin's supposed attitude problem. problems.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Da Man, Jun 28, 2001.

1. Da Man

Da Man Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I was trying to dig up another article where some NBA GM or scout talked various people surrounding the two fights and understood why he was involved with those altercations. He also went on to praise the fact that Griffin didn't back down to the 6'10" 270 lbs. teammate in high school.

There's is nothing wrong with being fiery. Hakeem fought endlessly throughout most of his career with teammates and opponents alike. MJ was notorious for getting into altercations with teammates in practice. As long as Griffin doesn't cross the Rasheed Wallace threshold, a few incidents here and there aren't too big of a deal.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/sports/leaguesandsports/ nba/19992000/washingtonwizards/A38308-2001Jun23.html

Griffin Fights Off a Bad Rap
    Despite Skirmishes, Swingman Said to Be Team Player

By Steve Wyche
    Washington Post Staff Writer
    Sunday, June 24, 2001; Page D01

The questions surrounding former Seton Hall forward Eddie Griffin entering Wednesday's NBA draft don't really concern his basketball skills. Teams know that the 6-foot-9 swingman, who played just one year of college ball, can just about do it all, especially block shots, rebound and fill the basket.

It's his supposed character flaws that have raised red flags with those teams interested in him, including the Washington Wizards, who could use the first overall pick on the ultra-talented Griffin. Two fights with teammates in two years -- the first at Roman Catholic High in Philadelphia, the other at Seton Hall last season -- have prompted legitimate concern.

"Everybody wanted to know about the situations, and I told them exactly what happened," said Griffin, who did not want to publicly discuss the altercations, both of which led to suspensions. "[Interested teams] have every right to ask, and I'm not going to lie to them. They're risking a lot of dollars on you. They want to know everything about you and they come straight out and ask.

"I don't think what happened is going to hurt me. When I sat down with GMs and coaches, they saw I wasn't a bad person. They saw I was a good person actually. Everybody has had bad things that happened in their lives and they understood that."

Michigan Coach Tommy Amaker, who coached Griffin last season at Seton Hall, vouched for Griffin's character, even though Griffin's fight with Pirates teammate Ty Shine after a loss to Georgetown on Jan. 6 sent their season into a tailspin.

"he's not a bad kid," Amaker said. "I've gotten calls from a lot of different teams about him and I give them all the same answer. I would coach him seven days a week and twice on Sunday. I don't know anyone, growing up, who hasn't gotten into a scrape or altercation, especially anyone who played sports, where there is so much passion and frustration."

Wizards Coach Doug Collins said he has known about Griffin for years and doesn't expect problems.

"All young people make mistakes," Collins said. "I watched that game on TV when they were playing Georgetown. I could feel the tension on the floor. Seton Hall went through a stretch for six or seven minutes where the first guy who got it shot the ball. I said something's going on here. That was when the incident happened.

"The good part about Eddie is that my son Chris [an assistant coach at Duke] was in the process of recruiting him. I know Eddie through Chris and Chris told me what a terrific young guy he is. I expect him to grow from those experiences. That, in no way, should follow him during his career."

The incidents are totally contradictory of Griffin's almost introverted personality, Amaker said. Some NBA personnel evaluators have likened Griffin's stoic on-court demeanor to that of San Antonio Spurs forward Tim Duncan. Griffin seldom cheers a big dunk, sulks after a turnover or whines after a bad call.

"The kid is actually very shy," Amaker said.

His soft-spoken nature is not to be construed as timidness. The lanky slasher has the ability to grab a rebound well above the rim, make the outlet pass, race downcourt for an alley-oop dunk then get back on defense to block a shot in transition. He also can shoot from long range. His main weakness is his lack of strength.

Griffin finished second in the nation with 4.43 blocked shots per game. His 10.8 rebounds per game ranked fifth in the country and he led the Pirates with 17.8 points per game. He also recorded the first triple-double (21 points, 12 rebounds and 10 assists vs. Norfolk State) in school history.

Other than Duke forward Shane Battier, Griffin is viewed as the potential lottery pick that could have the most immediate impact.

"I'm not one-dimensional," Griffin said. "I can do it on both ends. A lot of guys don't do it on both ends. A lot of guys are just offensive players. Some guys are mainly defensive players. I can do both and I think I've been showing these teams that."

His on-court skills -- and teams' willingness to not allow character issues to sway them -- likely will make Griffin a top four pick, some league personnel people said. He could go to Washington first overall, especially since he is a small forward, which is probably the biggest position of need for the Wizards. If he is still available, the Bulls might take him at No. 4.

Last season Washington was forced to play shooting guards Felipe Lopez, Mitch Richmond, Richard Hamilton and Courtney Alexander at small forward, where they were often physically overmatched. With that position wide open entering the season, the rangy Griffin could be a perfect fit, whether Michael Jordan, the team's part owner and president of basketball operations, decides to come out of retirement or not.

"If I go to a team and I don't play a lot right away, or even if I do, I'm going to work real hard on my game," Griffin said. "I'm motivated. A lot of people told me when I went to college I wouldn't be able to rebound and block shots like I did in high school. Through the course of the year I was leading the country in rebounds and blocked shots so I proved I could do it. I think I'm only going to get better."

------------------

[This message has been edited by Da Man (edited June 27, 2001).]

2. Azim da Dream

Azim da Dream Member

Thanks Da Man, that pretty much answers my question ( http://bbs.clutchcity.net/ubb/Forum3/HTML/013474.html )and reassures me that Griffin will not be a cancer to our presently tight-knit chemistry.

Like a poster once said, In Rudy we Trust .

Azim da Dream

------------------
    "Africa is a nation that suffers from incredible disease."
    - Geroge W. Bush, commenting on the troubled continent, to reporters in Sweden